Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - Who Is Next?

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Congrats Zombies! 'Bout time.
    Long overdue Mo.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Well at least Roxy, Zombies got in. Nicks and JJackson are a joke. MC5 and Rundgren should have been in years ago. Has Rundgren put down the Hall or pissed off Robbie R or Jan Wenner in some way?
    Todd has never seemed like someone who makes friends easily, so you're probably on to something. I love his music though.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Congrats Zombies! 'Bout time.
    Yes I too have been saying for years that they should have been in. A band whose stature has grown enormously over the decades, although they did well in the US market at the time (basically only a two-hit wonder in the UK, for whatever reason).

The inductees are good, IMHO- these cover all the bases. Not everything is to my personal taste- and whilst I don't mind some of Stevie Nicks' solo stuff, it certainly wouldn't have been a priority for me- but so what.
    Last edited by JJ88; 12-13-2018 at 01:40 PM.

The Pop Hall Of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    The Pop Hall Of Fame
    That's basically what it is, and has been for a while now. And I have no problem with that actually.

What I don't get is why Todd Rundgren wasn't inducted years ago, and why Stevie Nicks is being inducted now when she was already in as part of Fleetwood Mac.

Really glad that The Zombies are finally being inducted though. They deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    That's basically what it is, and has been for a while now. And I have no problem with that actually.
    If a musician or group sold a million albums, they will eventually be in.

"Here comes the feeling...Here comes that same old feeling!"

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    If a musician or group sold a million albums, they will eventually be in.
    Tell that to Ian Anderson. Not that he'd give two shits.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Yes Ian Anderson doesn't seem the type to be that bothered either way, but with Roxy Music's induction, Jethro Tull now seem one of the biggest omissions of their era. Tull were massive in the US throughout the 70s and I know people like Nick Cave have mentioned them as some sort of influence. I also think that King Crimson and ELP should be inducted.

But there's a lot to get through; at this stage, punk and heavy metal are possibly even more badly represented in there than progressive rock is. This year's batch is at least varied.

Who is next for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? Sounds like an Abbott and Costello routine:

A: Who is next for the rock and roll hall of fame.
    C: I dunno. Who?
    A: Guess.
    C: Guess who?
    A: No, they're not even nominated. Who's next.
    C: Who?
    A: Yes.
    C: Yes is next?
    A: No, not Yes. They're already in. I'm telling you Who.
    C: So tell me.
    A: Tell you what?
    C: Tell me Who's next for the hall of fame.
    A: I already did. Focus!
    C: Focus is next for the hall of fame?
    A: No, silly. Who.
    C: Who is in the all of fame already.
    A: That's right. Who is. But who is next.
    C: Who is in. Who is next? I don't know! I DON'T CARE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    The Pop Hall Of Fame
    Apparently Rock N Roll means different things to different people..

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Yes Ian Anderson doesn't seem the type to be that bothered either way, but with Roxy Music's induction, Jethro Tull now seem one of the biggest omissions of their era.
    Ian has on occasion told the story of how he had personally chosen Roxy Music to open for Tull at their Madison Square Garden show on August 12, 1972, thinking the NYC crowd would appreciate Roxy, as he liked them. (This was Roxy Music's American live debut I believe.) Things didn't go as planned as the New York crowd hated them and heckled them throughout their set, leading to Roxy playing an abbreviated set and leaving the stage after 25 minutes. This scenario seems somewhat ironic now considering the circumstances of Roxy being inducted while Tull has not been!

Yes I recall a documentary (I think a BBC4 one about British bands in America) where Anderson mentioned that it turned out to be a bad fit. I think it was suggested that there wasn't much personal rapport between them either.

The US market just didn't take to the 'glam' thing en masse, I don't think. Other than 'Get It On' T. Rex didn't do much there either. Another act who would have been inducted long ago if not for that.
    Last edited by JJ88; 12-15-2018 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Yes I recall a documentary (I think a BBC4 one about British bands in America) where Anderson mentioned that it turned out to be a bad fit. I think it was suggested that there wasn't much personal rapport between them either.

The US market just didn't take to the 'glam' thing en masse, I don't think. Other than 'Get It On' T. Rex didn't do much there either. Another act who would have been inducted long ago if not for that.
    The U.S. was largely just not ready for glam. Men wearing makeup and outlandish costumes, etc.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    The U.S. was largely just not ready for glam. Men wearing makeup and outlandish costumes, etc.
    QED

And along came Elton.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The British were always better at men in make-up.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

If inducted, Ian should walk on stage and hit Jann Wenner in the chops with a salmon.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Why would I want to hit him with a fish?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Prog Pride, brother, Prog Pride.

Edit: Every Prog-Rock fan should want to hit Jann Wenner with a fish.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 12-15-2018 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Every Prog-Rock fan should want to hit Jann Wenner with a fish.
    I know I do.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Why not just start a Progressive Rock Hall of Fame?

Maybe there is one.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame doesn't interest me one bit.
    It's going to have zero effect on what I buy or listen to. It's not going to do anything for the artists.
    These kind of things are better to stay in sports etc.... where the prerequisites for entry are based more on objective stats.

Art or music doesn't work work well for these kind of things. Much like the Grammys, Oscars etc. It's just a big silly event for over bloated celebrities, most who have very marginal talents.

I don't know why anyone would really care about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    Who is next? If it's not Jethro Tull they should shut the whole damn thing down. All these half assed acts getting in and no Tull. Of course Ian Anderson probably doesn't care but it's the principle of the thing as much as anything else.
    Maybe it will be "Ian Anderson presents Jethro Tull" inducted.

Seriously, I think Tull, Crimson, Rundgren and ELP should all be in there. With Tull and Crimson, I would be curious which members they would actually include for induction.

I also think Iron Maiden needs to get in there, as well as the very influential T Rex.

Based on what's gone before, it's very unlikely that more than two Prog-Rock bands will enter in any one year, and that's being generous.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    Why not just start a Progressive Rock Hall of Fame?

I don't know why anyone would really care about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
    Take a step outside the bubble.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"