Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strawberry Bricks, Revised and Expanded Edition

Honored! Will review.......looking forward to it.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

I just got my copy! I haven't had a chance to read the new edition yet, but I sure enjoyed the original. This one is much larger, updated, and contains interviews. I look forward to reading it!

His Facebook page features reviews taken from the book if you want to get a feel for the writing:
    https://www.facebook.com/strawberrybrick/

The website has everything you might want to know about the project:
    https://strawberrybricks.com/

Full disclosure: Charles is a friend, and I was thanked in the original edition, so I may not be TOTALLY objective, but I would still recommend this book to any prog fan.

"Hi Charles ,
    back from some concerts I found your book delivered on my desk ! Such a gorgeous work !
    I rushed (very selfish !) to read about A&M and myown interview . Now I will go forward to read the entire book .
    Thank You so much for your kindness and , above all ,for your fine work .
    Best regards from
    Gigi Venegoni"
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Nobody guessed, but you were correct about JCS, so the book is in the mail to you. Hope you enjoy!
    I didn't recognize many of them, would you share with us who they each are?

PS - just ordered the book from CreateSpace.

Certainly, top to bottom:

Eroc
    Jaxon - Rich Williams - Steve Hillage
    Derek Shulman - Hartwig Biereichel - Gigi Venegoni
    Hugh Banton - Dave Lawson - Christian Grumbkow
    Wetton - Michael Rother - Lutz Ulbrich
    Pye Hastings - Ciro Perrino - Martin Barre

I was going to review this book, but the publicist only offered a PDF & I don't review those! Looks good, though!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

My copy arrived Thursday--thanks, Charles! I have been paging through it, and enjoying it. Yesterday, I spent some time listening to a few of the albums you highlighted. I look forward to reading the interviews near the end, as well, soon. I grew up in the late 70's and 80's--I'm 51--my first "rock concert" was Asia, on their first tour. I had been listening to Prog for some years prior, with Yessongs, Going for the One, Pink Floyd's Animals, and Rush's Hemispheres being amongst my faves at that point--as well as Crimson's USA live album. Even at that young age, I felt that my first concert signaled the end of an era--one I was a bit too young to have lived through.
    I've discovered a few new albums already, and will be doing some more shopping and sampling as well.......
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

The eons are closing
    [emoji106] excellent. Will order this week.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Certainly, top to bottom:

Eroc
    Jaxon - Rich Williams - Steve Hillage
    Derek Shulman - Hartwig Biereichel - Gigi Venegoni
    Hugh Banton - Dave Lawson - Christian Grumbkow
    Wetton - Michael Rother - Lutz Ulbrich
    Pye Hastings - Ciro Perrino - Martin Barre
    The only one I recognized without this list, was Jaxon.
    With the list I recognized Hartwich Biereichel, but I didn't even recognize Christian von Grumbkow, although I've met him.

Steve (the illustrator) used "vintage pics" of all the artists. The only one I had a rough time recognizing was Rich Williams, though with the original pic, it's certainly him.

fc24feee1773ec739cf55bbcdd38680b.jpg

^ I'm not even much of a Kansas fan and I can name the guys in that picture.

Some very kind words from a few of the interviewees:

"Hi Charles, back from some concerts I found your book delivered on my desk ! Such a gorgeous work ! I rushed (very selfish !) to read about A&M and my own interview. Now I will go forward to read the entire book. Thank You so much for your kindness and , above all, for your fine work. Best regards from Gigi Venegoni" (Arti e Mestieri)

"Hi Charles, Received your very impressive book! Many thanks. There's an incredible amount of detail within and I can't imagine the the amount of work involved and I have no doubt it will become The reference source for folk interested in that particular era. My very best to you.
    Dave (Lawson)" (Samurai, Web, Greenslade)

"What a book....OMG.....I had no idea that You were working on the BIBLE OF PROG ROCK. I can't stop reading in it. Thank You so much, Charles!"
    Christian Grumbkow (Hoelderlin)

"Hi Charles, After returning from vacations I fished the book out of my P.O. Box this morning. Wow!!! This is not only a progressive guide, it's a really impressive guide. You'll find me reading through in the future not only during vacations...
    Many thanks and lots of success!"
    Cheers, Eroc (Grobschnitt)
    Last edited by strawberrybrick; 05-30-2017 at 08:39 AM.

I enjoyed the interviews too. Very nice that you went deeper than just musicians from some of the more well known bands (to the general public). My only frustration is that they're too short! I'm sure that you have more material that you could have used, but I do understand the need to edit it.

Charles, what would you think about posting the "Essential: 33 Progressive Rock Albums" list from the book here? People could comment on the list itself and maybe what they have and don't have from the list. I was thinking about doing that on the Facebook "Prog Collectors" group but wanted to check with you first.

Absolutely, I think I may have even posted them previously... A LOT of thought went into this list.

Essential: 33 Progressive Rock Albums
    1. The Nice – The Thoughts Of Emerlist DavJack (Immediate 1967)
    2. Soft Machine – Volume Two (Probe 1969)
    3. Colosseum – Those Who Are About To Die Salute You (Vertigo 1969)
    4. Jethro Tull – Stand Up (Reprise 1969)
    5. King Crimson – In The Court Of The Crimson King (An Observation By King Crimson) (EG 1969)
    6. The Pretty Things – Parachute (Harvest 1970)
    7. Caravan – In The Land of Grey And Pink (Deram 1971)
    8. Atomic Rooster – In Hearing Of (Elektra 1971)
    9. Van der Graaf Generator – Pawn Hearts (Charisma 1971)
    10. Yes – Fragile (Atlantic 1972)
    11. Amon Düül II – Carnival In Babylon (United Artists 1972)
    12. Tasavallan Presidentti – Lambert Land (Love Records 1972)
    13. Gentle Giant – Three Friends (Columbia 1972)
    14. Emerson, Lake & Palmer – Trilogy (Cotillion 1972)
    15. Aphrodite’s Child – 666 (The Apocalypse of John, 13/18) (Vertigo 1972)
    16. Family – Bandstand (Reprise 1972)
    17. Greenslade (Warner Bros. 1973)
    18. Le Orme – Felona & Sorona (Charisma 1973)
    19. Magma – Mekanïk Destrukïw Kommandöh (A&M 1973)
    20. Arti e Mestieri – Tilt-Immagini Per Un Orecchio (Cramps 1974)
    21. Ange – Au-delà du Délire (Philips 1974)
    22. Genesis – The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (Atco 1974)
    23. Grobschnitt – Ballerman (Brain 1974)
    24. Premiata Forneria Marconi – The World Became The World (Manticore 1974)
    25. Gong – You (Virgin 1974)
    26. Nektar – Down To Earth (Passport 1975)
    27. Chris Squire – Fish Out Of Water (Atlantic 1975)
    28. Hawkwind – Warrior On The Edge Of Time (United Artists 1975)
    29. Hoelderlin – Clowns and Clouds (Spiegelei 1976)
    30. Kansas – Leftoverture (Kirshner 1976)
    31. National Health – Of Queues Of Cures (Charly 1978)
    32. Arthur Brown & Vincent Crane – Faster Than The Speed Of Light (IC 1979)
    33. Tangerine Dream – Exit (Virgin 1981)

Absolutely, I think I may have even posted them previously... A LOT of thought went into this list.

Essential: 33 Progressive Rock Albums
    1. The Nice – The Thoughts Of Emerlist DavJack (Immediate 1967)
    3. Colosseum – Those Who Are About To Die Salute You (Vertigo 1969)
    4. Jethro Tull – Stand Up (Reprise 1969)
    5. King Crimson – In The Court Of The Crimson King (An Observation By King Crimson) (EG 1969)
    9. Van der Graaf Generator – Pawn Hearts (Charisma 1971)
    10. Yes – Fragile (Atlantic 1972)
    11. Amon Düül II – Carnival In Babylon (United Artists 1972)
    13. Gentle Giant – Three Friends (Columbia 1972)
    14. Emerson, Lake & Palmer – Trilogy (Cotillion 1972)
    15. Aphrodite’s Child – 666 (The Apocalypse of John, 13/18) (Vertigo 1972)
    17. Greenslade (Warner Bros. 1973)
    18. Le Orme – Felona & Sorona (Charisma 1973)
    19. Magma – Mekanïk Destrukïw Kommandöh (A&M 1973)
    20. Arti e Mestieri – Tilt-Immagini Per Un Orecchio (Cramps 1974)
    21. Ange – Au-delà du Délire (Philips 1974)
    22. Genesis – The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (Atco 1974)
    23. Grobschnitt – Ballerman (Brain 1974)
    24. Premiata Forneria Marconi – The World Became The World (Manticore 1974)
    25. Gong – You (Virgin 1974)
    28. Hawkwind – Warrior On The Edge Of Time (United Artists 1975)
    29. Hoelderlin – Clowns and Clouds (Spiegelei 1976)
    30. Kansas – Leftoverture (Kirshner 1976)
    31. National Health – Of Queues Of Cures (Charly 1978)
    I've heard frighteningly few of these, even though I've been a prog fan for about 25 years. I bet Roy has most of them in our library and I just haven't gotten around to listening to them yet. I've seen a lot more of them live though.

I've done pretty well according to the list! (You need to listen to some of them, Rhea!) These are the ones I haven't heard yet:

Strangely enough, I have multiple albums by Jukka Tolonen but none by Tasavallan Presidentti! Just one of those bands that slipped by me somehow. I'll have to read the Strawberry Bricks entries for the other 3 to see why they are held in such high regard.

A few comments on some of the entries:

Interesting. Most people mention Third as the most essential. Personally, I like their fusion years better than their early years!

Absolutely! They would put out many other fine albums, but this is still the ultimate for me.

I got this album because of Wetton. I've listened to a bunch of their others. I want to like Family more than I do. I don't know what it is. The vocals maybe?

Recycled and and Remember the Future are my favorites. I haven't listened to this one much. Don't really remember much about it. I'll have to check it out again.

Of all of the Yes solo albums, I don't know how you included this one over Ramshackled! :-/

Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post
    I've done pretty well according to the list! (You need to listen to some of them, Rhea!) These are the ones I haven't heard yet:

Strangely enough, I have multiple albums by Jukka Tolonen but none by Tasavallan Presidentti! Just one of those bands that slipped by me somehow. I'll have to read the Strawberry Bricks entries for the other 3 to see why they are held in such high regard.
    Those could be the a few of the albums I listen to the most. If The Beatles' Abbey Road had a cousin, it would be Parachute. Lambert Land is just haunting, maybe the one album I most happy to have discovered between the first book and this edition!

Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post
    A few comments on some of the entries:

Interesting. Most people mention Third as the most essential. Personally, I like their fusion years better than their early ears!
    Absolutely! They would put out many other fine albums, but this is still the ultimate for me.
    I got this album because of Wetton. I've listened to a bunch of their others. I want to like Family more than I do. I don't know what it is. The vocals maybe?
    Recycled and and Remember the Future are my favorites. I haven't listened to this one much. Don't really remember much about it. I'll have to check it out again.
    Of all of the Yes solo albums, I don't know how you included this one over Ramshackled! :-/
    I have to admit, I threw in Down To Earth, not really as a wrench, but because I love it for not being like the rest of Nektar's albums. They really went somewhere with that one. I go back to it more than any of their other albums. Bandstand is another album that I can't go a few months without revisiting. Against the rest of the band's catalog, I just love it, it just has a heavy vibe to it... anyway, Family takes the honor for "best prog band without capes!"

Well, I was considering one of those Steve Howe albums

IMHO, of course!

This one even surprised me. But again, it's just such an good album to listen to (maybe because their "songs"), but still has that deep, dark TD feel, and is full of amazing sound design. "Remote Viewing" just gives me goosebumps!

Is the list purposely 'per Artist', as in, only one per artist, as opposed to having 33 overall essential that may have 2 or more per artist?
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Yes. Given I only picked 33 in total, I kept a rule of only one title from a single artist/group.

Certainly bands such as Yes or Genesis could have easily had more than one album in the list. And I did pain over whether to choose Fragile vs Close to the Edge, or Pawn Hearts or Godbluff. Anyway, Fragile was my "prog gateway" record (as it was perhaps for countless others), while the latter was literally a coin toss (though you may remember the "bracket" threads here on PE in March).

Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    Is the list purposely 'per Artist', as in, only one per artist, as opposed to having 33 overall essential that may have 2 or more per artist?
    Yes. Given I only picked 33 in total, I kept a rule of only one title from a single artist/group.

I did pain over whether to choose... Pawn Hearts or Godbluff.
    I liked that you kept it to one title per artist and, as a VdGG nut, agree that PH would have to be 'the one' as it's an important album for prog and it's the album people think of when they think of VdGG (casual fans, that is); it's the one that is included whenever there are critics' lists, etc. But for me (and a lot of other VdGG nuts) Godbluff is the true masterpiece and the favorite.

I have to say that I absolutely love this book. It gets off to a *great* start with the preface which had me wallowing in nostalgia as a kid growing up in the 70s. I (and I suspect everyone else on this forum over 40 / 45) could relate to just about everything you wrote on those couple of pages.