Thread: AXS - "Rock Legends' show (Genesis episode premieres 4/9)

AXS - "Rock Legends' show (Genesis episode premieres 4/9)

AXS will show a Genesis documentary on their "Rock Legends" show premiering this Sunday 04/09/2017

http://www.axs.tv/programs/rock-legends/

This is only a 30 minute show so don't expect too much - if you have seen the show before (they have done episodes on Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, Neil Young, CSNY, Radiohead among others) they won't have interviews with band members but mostly just music critics. But one thing I do like about the show is that they tend to cover the bands entire career from beginning to end, touching on every album briefly. Not just the main ones. So in this 30 minutes doc there may be more time spent on albums like SEbtP, WaW and CaS then there was in the entire "Sum of the Parts" doc.

I didn't think that the Tull episode was very good. The critics they had discussing the band spouted off a number of pieces of bad information.

I think that's the only one I've watched, not sure how the other bands faired.

I watched the one on U2 and was impressed at how much they covered in such a short time. I'd rather see interviews with the actual band members, but I enjoyed it for what it is.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I've watched several of them, incl both Tull & Genesis, and while a lot of the footage is superb, the UK music journalists involved don't know half as much about these acts as over half the population here on PE. Their personalities are also as exciting as watching paint dry.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I thought the Genesis episode that premiered Sunday was fairly decent. All of maybe just over 20 minutes without commercials but it had some interesting footage and photos. They skipped Nursery Cryme and Selling England by the Pound entirely but briefly (sometimes very briefly) touched on all the other albums. Even covered Ray Wilson and Calling All Stations much more than expected. Also nice that they gave credit to Steve Hackett with one of the journalists describing him as "The architect of the classic Genesis sound"

These Rock Legend shows are good for the casual fan, but they seem too short to really include any substance. The VH1 Behind The Music series seemed to cover a lot more with their hour-long episodes.

^^ Yep, they're pretty lame. I saw the Pink Floyd one the other night and they skipped over WYWH and Animals.

And, how about interviewing a music journalist who actually lived through it all?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Recently AXS has been showing a Kenny Loggins concert that's killer. I can hear some groans, but the guy is a very accomplished musician, and it was a great concert.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Recently AXS has been showing a Kenny Loggins concert that's killer. I can hear some groans, but the guy is a very accomplished musician, and it was a great concert.
    I've been meaning to check that out.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I first saw Kenny Loggins in concert with Michael McDonald in the late 80s. Great double bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    These Rock Legend shows are good for the casual fan, but they seem too short to really include any substance. The VH1 Behind The Music series seemed to cover a lot more with their hour-long episodes.
    The problem wit Behind The Music was it seemed to focus mostly on the tabloid stuff. The ones on Thin Lizzy and Fleetwood Mac were both an insult. The Fleetwood Mac one, they just barely acknowledged the existence of the band before Buckingham and Nicks joined, without actually talking at all about Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, Jeremy Spencer, Bob Welch, or Bob Weston.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The problem wit Behind The Music was it seemed to focus mostly on the tabloid stuff. The ones on Thin Lizzy and Fleetwood Mac were both an insult. The Fleetwood Mac one, they just barely acknowledged the existence of the band before Buckingham and Nicks joined, without actually talking at all about Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, Jeremy Spencer, Bob Welch, or Bob Weston.
    A fine decision to go with the more popular era of Fleetwood Mac.

A fine decision to go with the more popular era of Fleetwood Mac.
    Well, I would preferred they had covered the entire run of the band, but I suppose if you're limited to a 45 minute program, plus commercials, it might be hard to shoehorn the assorted events that led to Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer, and Danny Kirwan all leaving the band, plus their original manager's phony Fleetwood Mac that he sent out on the road, the arrivals and departures of Welch and Weston, Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham's arrival in the band, Stevie and Lindsey's breakup, Stevie's affair with Mick, Christine and John breaking up, Christine's liaison with Dennis Wilson, Mick's cocaine problem...am I leaving anything out here? Oh yeah, Stevie's cocaine problem, Lindsey and Stevie's respective departures from the band, all leading up to the early 90's version of the band and the subsequent reunion of the so called "classic lineup.

And then you have to allot a few minutes to talk about the actual music, from Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac through to The Dance.

So yeah, I suppose I can see the logic in sort of "cutting to the chase" and ignoring the first 7 or 8 years of the band's existence.

What you really need is a big mega documentary like the Tom Petty and Eagles documentaries that have come out in recent years. That would probably do a better job than a one hour tabloid oriented TV show could ever do.

I first saw Kenny Loggins in concert with Michael McDonald in the late 80s. Great double bill.
    Yeah, McDonald joins him in singing a few songs that they'd done together. Jim Messina also joins him on stage.