Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
Howard actually sings the songs as well. That video pierce and the George Martin making of, provide very telling stories.

Howard's analysis really identifies the features of this album which were innovative and I would say progressive. The album was so progressive musically, but dealt with life situations of common interest.
I assume you are talking about the first in the Classic Album series? Makes sense as that is a fascinating look into the album.

The part about Paul's bass line in Lucy also was cool. The key changes and such were something I'd heard for forty years but as I'm not a theory guy, I never noticed how that really affects the song. It just worked and I never realized that it worked in a way that no one else had ever done in rock.

Never heard of the Harmonium, IIRC the name of the instrument. Knew about the Mellotron in Strawberry Fields Forever but somehow got misinformed, or just plain stupid, about how the organ sounds on this album were created. The one with the printed sheet music that was spliced together, whatever it was called, that was another point that made this doc interesting as it shows all the other people that worked on this album. While it may have been the vision of four guys, they didn't actually create the whole thing themselves.

Then there's the whole slowing down one tape to sync up with a slower recording by messing with the electricity of the unit. SFF, I believe but this one has me flummoxed, I just cannot remember details. My puny human brain.

Totally loved this, as well, like you said, the original Classic Albums show on this and I agree, they give us a very in depth idea of what happened when they did this.