Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sgt. Peppers 50th Anniversary release

I'm very interested in a 5.1 mix. But I'm not paying . $150 to get a 5.1 mix !

I actually have about 15 Beatles songs in my repertoire -- May be the only one that pairs yesterday with Jerome Kern's "Yeterdays". (Both are in F). Just working out a medley of Across the Unicerse - Tomorrow Never knows and And I Love Her (Eb to G to Eb).

It's just outrageous that the world's richest rock band can't offer basic 5.1 mix at a stand alone price.

I actually bought the Pink Floyd 6572 box after it came down in price to 230 USD. And just ordered the grateful dead Cornell 77 box . And bought every King Crimson box.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post

I actually have about 15 Beatles songs in my repertoire -- May be the only one that pairs yesterday with Jerome Kern's "Yeterdays". (Both are in F). Just working out a medley of Across the Unicerse - Tomorrow Never knows and And I Love Her (Eb to G to Eb).

It's just outrageous that the world's richest rock band can't offer basic 5.1 mix at a stand alone price.

I actually bought the Pink Floyd 6572 box after it came down in price to 230 USD. And just ordered the grateful dead Cornell 77 box . And bought every King Crimson box.
    I'm not loving having to buy the box, however I'm not taking any chances on this one. The 50th anniversary of that month of June in 67 which kicked the most incredible musical trip I had on the year I became a teen. If buying this helps persuade them to produce 5.1 versions of MMT and Abbey Road, and even Revolver, then great.
    Look for the Monterey Pop Festival to be rebroadcast in June.

OR $96 for 48 CDs for Bartok complete ?
    Who?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

[QUOTE=N_Singh;688082]I'm very interested in a 5.1 mix. But I'm not paying . $150 to get a 5.1 mix !

I hope they learn the error of their ways and do what they did with Aqualung... go from a huge $150 box set to a $35 version
    " My advice is to get them off right after your shoes and before your trousers... that's the sock gap. Miss it and suddenly you're a naked man in socks. No self-respecting woman will let a naked man in socks do the squelchy with her. "

http://thefairlysecretarmy.bandcamp.com/

http://wavesofmercury.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I see it comes with a mono CD - is that what we all had back in the day? Coming with a DVD AND Blu-Ray is kind of annoying, but aside from that if the mono CD is the original album I'd have had on my old cassette, I could see getting this.
    Considering I only have a DVD player right now, I'm warming up to having both DVD and Blu-Ray. My next universal player will undoubtedly add Blu-Ray capabilities.

BTW, it's at $128 now on Amazon.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Ember
    [QUOTE=The Czar;688352]

I hope they learn the error of their ways and do what they did with Aqualung... go from a huge $150 box set to a $35 version
    Different "they."

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/fe...-road-studios/

According the Giles Martin the goal was to make a stereo version of the mono album so this should be pretty interesting to hear. In the preview clip "She's Leaving Home" is at normal speed, not slowed down as on the original stereo mix.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/fe...-road-studios/

According the Giles Martin the goal was to make a stereo version of the mono album so this should be pretty interesting to hear. In the preview clip "She's Leaving Home" is at normal speed, not slowed down as on the original stereo mix.
    Well, hopefully they fixed the few errors in the mono mix.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Richard Williams, late of 1970s Melody Maker and now sports (& occasional music) writer at The Guardian, attended the playback and reports on his excellent blog which deserves a bookmark on any music lover's browser :

https://thebluemoment.com/2017/04/12/sgt-pepper-at-50/
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Descriptions of a few of the outtakes here:

Inside Unheard 'Sgt. Pepper' Outtakes: Exclusive First Listen

Wow, this should be in our hands on Friday or Saturday! Currently $117 on Amazon.

I'm in for the two disc version.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    Because everyone has it already.
    No, because Giles Martin is worried kids will think it sounds old.

No, because Giles Martin is worried kids will think it sounds old.
    I think it's silly to think it might be inaccessible to younger audiences. My kids are 22, 20 and 14 and they listen to all the new stuff and love The Beatles. They never made any comments about it sounding dated. They just sing along like everyone else. The songs are simply too great. To suggest that they suffer in some way because of their age is nonsense. The songwriting transcends all that. Even today, after 54 years, "Can't Buy Me Love" still sounds fresh. What could you possibly change to make it somehow more palatable to younger people?

The original mono mix is included in the big box. My impression is that Giles Martin considers the mono versions to be the definitive works, but he doesn't think young audiences will be able to connect with mono so he tries to do new stereo mixes that capture the feel and energy of the mono more effectively than the vintage stereo mixes do.

"Dad, this mix sounds old!"

Old man of prog
    "Dad, this mix sounds old!"
    Now THAT is funny.

Well played JKL2000

I think there is alot of charm in the old crude stereo mixes, when I was a child it got me interested in the mixing process (I remember "bouncing" channels with 2 tape recorders etc)
    Or sitting on a speaker just to hear the drums or vocals or whatever.
    However, listening to these stereo mixes using earphones is impossible and the same goes for mono (it drives me crazy to listen to mono, it feels like the band is in the center of my head, and not in a pleasant way)
    So I dont understand the problem people have with new mixes - its not like the old mixes will cease to exist, and they will probably offer another way to enjoy the music that we know and like so well, especially if there will also be a surround mix

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    The original mono mix is included in the big box. My impression is that Giles Martin considers the mono versions to be the definitive works, but he doesn't think young audiences will be able to connect with mono so he tries to do new stereo mixes that capture the feel and energy of the mono more effectively than the vintage stereo mixes do.
    Indeed. And the original stereo mixes will obviously still be in print, it's just a nice alternative to have really.

I can say the old stereo mixes started bothering me more when I listened on headphones. But I would still never approve of new mixes replacing them...I'm a strong believer in historical accuracy where music is concerned. (Don't get me started on what Genesis have done.)
    Last edited by JJ88; 05-23-2017 at 03:25 AM.

If people want to hear a very dramatic illustration of what all the fuss with different Beatles mixes is all about then my suggestion is to listen to three different mixes of "Paperback Writer": mono, vintage stereo and the 2015 Giles Martin stereo. The mono rocks like a mofo. Damn. The old stereo mix just sounds weird with the vocals sorta spread out, but with most of the instruments on the left and the bass isolated on the right. The 2015 mix is much closer to the mono, only three dimensional.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    (Don't get me started on what Genesis have done.)
    If only there was a way to not get you started...

When I listen to the mono version of "Tomorrow Never Knows," I hear a mix that is so incredible, I see no need for stereo treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    So I dont understand the problem people have with new mixes - its not like the old mixes will cease to exist
    Does anyone know if you can still buy the original Genesis mixes on CD, new?

^No, you cannot. An appalling error of judgement IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    When I listen to the mono version of "Tomorrow Never Knows," I hear a mix that is so incredible, I see no need for stereo treatment.
    The stereo of that is decent, even having the vocals/drums centred. Much more modern sounding than the rest of the album, which is a pretty wonky affair.

Some here might not like it but yes, ideally those old mono mixes would be more widely available than they are.

Does anyone know if you can still buy the original Genesis mixes on CD, new?
    Well, you can buy them used, and for very cheap, at least in these parts.