Thread: Pink Floyd The Early Years 1971 Reverber/ation

Pink Floyd The Early Years 1971 Reverber/ation

OK, here are some basics on these box sets. This is based on the Reverber/ation set I received today.

The DVD and the Blu-ray have all the same material, just on two different formats.

The audio on the DVD: in PCM Stereo 48khz/24-bit except Echoes 4.0 Quad mix: 4.0 Dolby Digital & 4.0 DTS

The audio on Blu-ray" PCM Stereo in 48khz/24-bit except Echoes 4.0 Quad mix:
    4.0 DYS Master Audio 96khz/24-bit.

I listened to the Quad mix of Echoes on Blu-ray. Overall sound quality was not as good as the recent vinyl release of Echoes. It was an enjoyable listen. but those who despise excessive panning may find it annoying overall. There are sections where the mix settles down, especially on the long jam. I'm wondering if the 5.1 mix hidden on the 1972 disc (correct me if I'm wrong about this) is worth the effort figuring out how to access it and play it.

I honestly was not very impressed with the DVD/Blu-ray on this. Not worth the 40.00.

Doesn't it have the BBC concert from September 71? I thought I heard the 1970 set had the Atom Heart Mother era one (where they do Atom Heart Mother itself, If and that great Green Is The Colour/Careful With That Axe Eugene) and the 71 has the Meddle era (with Echoes, Embryo and a 12 minute version of Fat Old Sun). And the Atom Heart Mother once also I heard has the KQED video.

this is the info I found:

Disc: 1 1. Nothing, Pt. 14 2. Fat Old Sun 3. One of These Days 4. Embryo 5. Echoes

Disc: 2 1. Interview + Atom Heart Mother 2. A Saucerful of Secrets 3. Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun 4. Cymbaline 5. Atom Heart Mother 6. Careful with that Axe, Eugene 7. Band Interview 8. 24 hours - Bootleg Records 9. Review 10. One of These Days (French Windows) 11. Atom Heart Mother 12. Atom Heart Mother 13. Echoes
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Personally I find these sets absolutely spectacular (I have four of them, will order the other two in the coming weeks)... but I do agree about the quad mixes (Echoes, Atom Heart Mother). I didn't make it through those. But overall I have been loving these boxes! All these tracks and amazing footage in one place!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Doesn't it have the BBC concert from September 71? I thought I heard the 1970 set had the Atom Heart Mother era one (where they do Atom Heart Mother itself, If and that great Green Is The Colour/Careful With That Axe Eugene) and the 71 has the Meddle era (with Echoes, Embryo and a 12 minute version of Fat Old Sun). And the Atom Heart Mother once also I heard has the KQED video.
    Yes it does, and quite frankly, they are pretty rough. I think every time I've heard AHM live, the horn players really botch some of the sustained notes, rendering it pretty much unbearable.
    I would like to hear a band only live version. It's too bad they didn't have a Mellotron for the choir parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Yes it does, and quite frankly, they are pretty rough. I think every time I've heard AHM live, the horn players really botch some of the sustained notes, rendering it pretty much unbearable.
    I would like to hear a band only live version. It's too bad they didn't have a Mellotron for the choir parts.
    Well, I've had bootleg copies of both of the BBC concerts, and have been waiting 20 years for them to release them legitimately, so that's one of the main selling poitns fo rme.

As for a band only live version, if the KQED show is on the 1970 set, well, that's got a quartet performance of the piece. There's also a few different bootlegs with such performances on it, though I think typically, the quartet arrangement was a somewhat truncated form, leaving out a few of the bits from the full brass band and choir arrangement.