Thread: Mayra Orchestra ~ Oracle

Mayra Orchestra ~ Oracle

I went to the release party of the new Mayra Orchestra CD 'Oracle' yesterday. Although their music is not entirely my cuppa I still enjoyed the show a lot.

They describe their music as 'cinematic pop' themselves. You could also call them prog-lite or prog-you-can-bring-your-wife-along-to. I know these terms are usually used as a disqualification but that is not my intention in this case. These guys and gals are talented and ambitious. A full orchestra with 13 people on stage (including a string and horn section) and the music is supported by various acrobatic acts. The music is roughly a mix between Magenta, Loreena McKennit and Heather Nova. If this sounds like something you might enjoy you should certainly check them out.

http://www.mayraorchestra.com/

Ha, never expected to find someone here who also attended the release gig. It was a superb evening and my second time seeing them and it was again a great gig.
    Compared to the debut album the music on Oracle has a bit more 'bite' to it, mostly due to the fact that now all members of the orchestra have participated in the recording of the album where as the debut CD was almost entirely played and recorded by Maartje Dekker (Mayra) and Christiaan Bruin themselves.

These two, Maartje and Christiaan (some of you might known him from his solo-albums under the Chris moniker, his mammoth The Black Codex project or as drummer for Dutch band Sky Architect), are certainly very very talented. Maartje wrote all the songs, is the lead singer and piano player and is also responsible for the whole concept of the album, the story, the visuals, the artwork, the way the band is dressed on stage and the visuals. Christiaan arranged the music, recorded it, mixed it, mastered it and played drums, percussion and acoustic guitar on the album.

Here is a video for the one of the more accessible tracks from the new album:

and here is live video shot for their debut CD + DVD release with a song from that debut:

Aah, and while were at it, here is a track from the new album albeit in a specially recorded semi-acoustic version (I do hope this will pop up on a future dvd as an extra). In this setting Mayra's music has quite a distinct Tori Amos like vibe:

Or this one :

Toris Amos vibe; I can see that.