Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Band That Never Toured?

Kate Bush has only ever done two tours in her entire career, plus a gaggle of one off performances here and there. I believe the only time she ever performed on US soil was a late 70's Saturday Night Live performance (during which she memorably sang The Man With The Child In His Eyes, while sitting on Paul Shaffer's piano).

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Why would a label sign a band that doesn't play live?
    Toto?? these guys were a studio-only bbnd at first.. I don't know when they started to tour, but my guess it was probably around Hydra or IV

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

Alan Parsons Project never toured during their original existence. Parsons put together a touring version of the band in the late 90's (I saw them open for Yes), but during the entire time they were shit hot in the late 70's/early 80's, I believe they never toured.

That's the only one I can really think of. Steely Dan toured behind their first couple albums, at the behest of the record company, and of course, have toured more recently, since the mid 90's.

Did Mike Oldfield ever actually tour, or did just do isolated "big events", eg the occasional festival gig or something like the Edinburgh Castle performance?
    Those were my first three thoughts, with The NBeatles... Though SD and Beatles did tour early on , while Oldfield and APP started touring after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Did the Kooper-Bloomfield-Stills Super Session band ever tour?
    Well they obviously played a couple of gigs before the album release... After its release, I wouldn't know
    (not really a band proper either, IMHO)

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Someone correct me if they did tour 30 years later, but my entry is KLAATU.
    Good question (and not that i'm aware of)... They only showed their faces with their third Army Suit album.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

From memory the " famous" National Health/Gilgamesh double Quartett , but they didn't record either....actually famous bands that never existed

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Feel free to correct me but am I right in saying that Tony Banks has never played live as a solo artist? - only as a member of Genesis and only playing Genesis material.
    It could be that nothing from his solo/side-project albums has ever been played live.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Good call!Yeah, that sounds like who I was thinking of.
    I don't know what Wiki considers a major live appearance, but there are tapes around of Laura Nyro playing solo with piano live around the time of her classic early 70's albums, and then in the later 70's there was a tour with a live album.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Toto?? these guys were a studio-only bbnd at first.. I don't know when they started to tour, but my guess it was probably around Hydra or IV
    Looking online there seem to be gigs for the first album, although I think their tour schedule always left time for L.A. studio work. I read once about Porcaro trying to finish his track for Steely Dan's "Gaucho" so that he could fly out to play with Toto in Oklahoma or somewhere like that.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This is probably a dumb question, but did Supertramp tour?

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    Feel free to correct me but am I right in saying that Tony Banks has never played live as a solo artist? - only as a member of Genesis and only playing Genesis material.
    It could be that nothing from his solo/side-project albums has ever been played live.
    I think you're right and obviously Anthony Phillips has never toured either. I don't think Mike Rutherford's two solo albums were played live (in fact Phil Collins never toured Face Value per se, it was only with the second album that he went on the road).

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Yes (although I have read that early on the millioniare Sam paid for them to rehearse for a year or two without doing gigs).

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Jed - If you are a Supertramp fan check out the "Paris" live album. Great stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Jed - If you are a Supertramp fan check out the "Paris" live album. Great stuff!
    if he was a ST fan, he'd not have asked the question, cos he'd know the answer
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Good point!

How about Big Big Train. Just a couple of shows at one venue in 15, a couple shows at a venue later this year. Previously, no gigs for what? 17-18 years. Certainly no tours.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I don't know what Wiki considers a major live appearance, but there are tapes around of Laura Nyro playing solo with piano live around the time of her classic early 70's albums, and then in the later 70's there was a tour with a live album.
    She kind of swore off touring after a bad experience with Monterey Pop (She remembers “being booed off stage” but some others who were there tell a different tale). That 1977 live LP, Seasons of Light, chronicled a rare tour that she practically had to be dragged kicking and screaming to be convinced to do (probably with a little support from her then-girlfriend, percussionist Liberty Mata, at the time also playing with the band Isis. The Isis horn section also appears on that tour).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    She kind of swore off touring after a bad experience with Monterey Pop (She remembers “being booed off stage” but some others who were there tell a different tale). That 1977 live LP, Seasons of Light, chronicled a rare tour that she practically had to be dragged kicking and screaming to be convinced to do (probably with a little support from her then-girlfriend, percussionist Liberty Mata, at the time also playing with the band Isis. The Isis horn section also appears on that tour).
    details, we want details ;D

(didn't know Nyro prefered women either)

But she's got more official live albums than she does for studio albums, though. Though a lot of them were released in the 90's, i suppose that some are archivals
    https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/laura_nyro

John Lennon as a solo act. He had one major live show ever, as far as I know.

Let's also not forget post-1982 XTC, during their most creative period, never toured due to Andy Partridge's issues.
    Last edited by ThomasKDye; 04-02-2017 at 03:07 AM.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

sourdough advocate
    Did Robert Palmer ever tour? I know he did a few TV appearances throughout his career, but I seem to remember that he had really bad stage fright. Michael Des Barre took his spot in The Power Station's for live shows.
    When in doubt....

John Lennon did a couple of dates as a solo artist but I believe he never hit the road after The Beatles broke up

Edit: TKD beat me to it on this one
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    never mind Paris.... get the Live In Paris deluxe edition 2CD/DVD
    the CD's contain the whole 2 hr show- 6 more songs omitted from original release.

Do you know the touring history or lack thereof of every musical artist you like?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkil View Post
    Did Robert Palmer ever tour?
    Yes, searching "Robert Palmer live" on YouTube there are several videos late 70's through 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    John Lennon as a solo act. He had one major live show ever, as far as I know.
    Define "major". I know of at least four concert performances by John Lennon as a solo artist:

1. In 68 or 69, he and Yoko did a concert, where Yoko screamed her head off, and John just played feedback on the guitar. I think part of that is on one of their albums.

2. The Live Peace In Toronto performance, in 1970, for which the band was John, Yoko, Eric Clapton, Klaus Voorman, and the drummer was somebody named Alan White (whatever happened to that guy?!).

3. Another festival performance, in 71 or 72, which I believe is the one where supposedly there was a FBI agent in the audience transcribing the lyrics to the song John Sinclair as John performed it (why didn't Hoover or whomever was in charge of the "Let's get John Lennon" investigation just buy a copy of Sometime In New York? It had a lyric sheet, as I Recall).

4. The Madison Square Garden performance in 74 or 75, I think, which was released on VHS in the 80's. This si the show where he plays the red Les Paul Junior with the "Charlie Christian" pickup by the neck.

And then there's the Elton John concert where John came out for the encore (because John lost a bet regarding whether or not Whatever Gets You Through The Night would be a hit, the pay out being that he had to perform with Elton), which I believe might have been the last time he performed in front of an audience.

Then I believe after Sean was born, he kinda quit being a professional musician for a few years.

Re the above:

1) "Cambridge 1969" from Life With the Lions
    2) was also 1969. Also, at the end of that year he and Yoko appeared with Delaney and Bonnie and others in England as heard in Sometime In New York City.
    3) 1971. Earlier that year he and Yoko sat in with the Mothers.
    4) 1972
    5) 1974 w/Elton which was indeed the last time he appeared live

BUT - he never toured.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I was thinking Centipede, but sort of surprisingly they did tour.