Thread: Fish - Farewell to Childhood CD/DVD

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Fish - Farewell to Childhood CD/DVD

Now available to order:

http://shop.fishheads.club/pro…/fare...ildhood-cddvd/

Can't find a larger image, but it looks like another very nice Mark Wilkinson job. I believe it's actually 2CDs and a DVD, but I'm not entirely sure of the content other than it's from his most recent (and supposedly last ) tour.

Fish posted on FB that shipping will begin next week. An autobuy for me

Waiting for some reviews before I pull the trigger but defineatly interested. Rationale being I was dissapointed with the 'Return to Childhood' DVD, both in performance and audio!

I note he has announced some dated for his 'Clutching at Straws' anniversary tour!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Waiting for some reviews before I pull the trigger but defineatly interested. Rationale being I was dissapointed with the 'Return to Childhood' DVD, both in performance and audio!

I note he has announced some dated for his 'Clutching at Straws' anniversary tour!
    Oops, I guess it wasn't his last tour. I guess since I figure he'll not play in the US again I've just given up.

To be honest, I don't expect this CD to be much different than the previous one as far as his voice, but I'm a Fish completist and I enjoy the art, photos, liner notes, etc.

BTW, about the notice printed on the cover of the digibook, its legally required but is only on the copies Amazon will carry. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Oops, I guess it wasn't his last tour. I guess since I figure he'll not play in the US again I've just given up.

To be honest, I don't expect this CD to be much different than the previous one as far as his voice, but I'm a Fish completist and I enjoy the art, photos, liner notes, etc.

BTW, about the notice printed on the cover of the digibook, its legally required but is only on the copies Amazon will carry. I think.
    Fish is always a good performer although his voice is 'shot', so if the reviews of the DVD are positive from an artistic/visual perspective I'll pull the trigger! I think they must have use a maximum of two cameras on the 'Return to Childhood' DVD?

My copy arrived today -- posted only on April 4th! Such quick delivery from Scotland! Haven't opened the shrink wrap yet...

Any reviews to peruse?

^^ Not that I know of.

Wow, I was just looking at the notes in the Moveable Feast (previous release) booklet and the type is so small it's unreadable (to me at least) without reading glasses and a bright light. Tiny! I'd sacrifice a couple of pages of photos for larger type. The type in Farewell... I can manage with just bright light, but it's still pretty small.

Wow, I was just looking at the notes in the Moveable Feast (previous release) booklet and the type is so small it's unreadable (to me at least) without reading glasses and a bright light. Tiny! I'd sacrifice a couple of pages of photos for larger type. The type in Farewell... I can manage with just bright light, but it's still pretty small.
    More interested in Movable Feast than this.

Return was a huge disappointment though I know there were issues with not being rehearsed enough. Perhaps I'll bother with Farewell somewhere down the road.

Can't find any audio info for the DVD, is it just stereo?

Had a full listen to the Field of Crows reissue yesterday. Sadly, I realized that it's definitely my least favorite Fish album. There are really only a few songs that I enjoy, and the rest just seems phoned in. Less Prog and far too "groove" or shuffle oriented. I need to listen to the demos and live tracks though, as I think some of the songs have fared better in live acoustic versions I sort of recall.

waiting for the next of the remaster series to come out and I'll pick this one up with it...

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

Had a full listen to the Field of Crows reissue yesterday. Sadly, I realized that it's definitely my least favorite Fish album. There are really only a few songs that I enjoy, and the rest just seems phoned in. Less Prog and far too "groove" or shuffle oriented. I need to listen to the demos and live tracks though, as I think some of the songs have fared better in live acoustic versions I sort of recall.
    I'll second that. For me, FoC is definitely the low point of Fish's solo career.

I remember seeing him on this tour in London and thinking during the show that the whole thing sounded like very average "pub rock". I think I even recall him making a joke during the show bout "widdly widdly" keyboard-style prog (a big hypocritical from the man who role Script For a Jester's Tear!) and I'm sure I wasn't the only person in the venue wishing at the time that that was the sort of music that we were hearing!

Fellini Days isn't GREAT but ok. Everything else is much better, and Thirteenth Star was a return to form IMO.

Although to be honest Feast isn't really a favorite. Oh well, Vigil through Raingods and Thirteenth Star was a good run!

Fellini Days isn't GREAT but ok. Everything else is much better, and Thirteenth Star was a return to form IMO.

Although to be honest Feast isn't really a favorite. Oh well, Vigil through Raingods and Thirteenth Star was a good run!
    Feast is my favorite Fish album. Followed by Sunsets On Empire.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Feast is my favorite Fish album. Followed by Sunsets On Empire.
    Even though I've listened to Feast once since the previous time I said this, I still need to spend more time with the album. It's possible that Love You Up or Love Me Up is the only song I really don't like.

May be my least favorite as well. (that and Suits I guess.) Always saw it as Fish-lite.

For me Fish songs are always much better when brought to life.

Even though I've listened to Feast once since the previous time I said this, I still need to spend more time with the album. It's possible that Love You Up or Love Me Up is the only song I really don't like.
    Might be may favorite album of his yet, but I would have said 13th Star before it came out. Really I think the only dud in the last 20 years is Field of Crows. I'm almost afraid the next one won't be as good.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    May be my least favorite as well. (that and Suits I guess.) Always saw it as Fish-lite.

For me Fish songs are always much better when brought to life.
    Suits is great, IMO.

Has anyone watched the DVD yet? I was about to pull the trigger but heard the sound quality on the DVD isn't good at all. I would like to have this, but it's not cheap buying from Fish and shipping to U.S. I would like to know what people think of the DVD quality. Thanks!
    So much music....so little time....

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    Has anyone watched the DVD yet? I was about to pull the trigger but heard the sound quality on the DVD isn't good at all. I would like to have this, but it's not cheap buying from Fish and shipping to U.S. I would like to know what people think of the DVD quality. Thanks!
    Will pick this up eventually. As long as the performance is good, I'm not as concerned about how it sounds.

Still enjoying Movable Feast. I was kind of surprised how good those rearranged Marillion songs sounded. Wasn't expecting that. Would have been nice to have gotten more solo songs, but those Marillion songs weren't as bad as they could have been.