Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NDV to drum on new Spock's Beard album

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Actually Genesis wanted to audition Kevin Gilbert for the Collins slot because of the Lamb at Progfest 94, which Nick also played on.
    That's a popular rumor but it's not true. I'm good friends with Nick Davis, Genesis' producer/engineer who ran the auditions with Mike and Tony. I asked him about it and it turns out Kevin wasn't on their radar. In fact, I was the one who sent them a video of our performance of Progfest 94 and when I asked Nick Davis what the G men thought of it he said "They were very amused" (which I think indicates they probably didn't watch that much after Kevin threw the boombox that was playing "Invisible Touch" in the trash! Haha. Ooops.). Apparently their management did inform Kevin's manager that he **could** audition though. But, it just wasn't nearly as close to happening, like him being offered the gig, as some people like to think. Ironically, though, when NDV started singing more after that and Tony Banks heard Nick's voice on Nick's own tribute to The Lamb he said that had he known Nick could sing like that he might have gotten the FULL gig replacing Collins on drums AND vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Kevin Gilbert in Genesis. Jeebus, that might top the list for great "might have beens".

And then again he might have instantly butted heads with Mike and Tony and said, "Fuck this".
    Without a doubt. I can't imagine that working given the personalities involved. Too many cooks and KG was quite a thorough chef.

Anyway, back to NDV playing drums with Spocks again, I just saw them do it live on Cruise To The Edge and it was great! This should be fantastic news for SB fans.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVander View Post
    Hope NDV gets to sing a bit on the album (and not just backing vocals). Wonder if he'll be take part in the writing as well.
    The message is carefully worded and implies that Nick will not be rejoining on a permanent basis and on drums only.
    I think there is a chance that this situation can change in the coming months. After all Nick is not with Cirque du Soleil anymore and has a more stable situation at Sweetwater Studio which might be more compatible with touring. We'll see...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    The message is carefully worded and implies that Nick will not be rejoining on a permanent basis and on drums only.
    I think there is a chance that this situation can change in the coming months. After all Nick is not with Cirque du Soleil anymore and has a more stable situation at Sweetwater Studio which might be more compatible with touring. We'll see...
    Sweetwater is also a music store. I saw brochure recently which had 2 articles written by Nick about different drum subjects. Well written.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    That's a popular rumor but it's not true. I'm good friends with Nick Davis, Genesis' producer/engineer who ran the auditions with Mike and Tony. I asked him about it and it turns out Kevin wasn't on their radar. In fact, I was the one who sent them a video of our performance of Progfest 94 and when I asked Nick Davis what the G men thought of it he said "They were very amused" (which I think indicates they probably didn't watch that much after Kevin threw the boombox that was playing "Invisible Touch" in the trash! Haha. Ooops.). Apparently their management did inform Kevin's manager that he **could** audition though. But, it just wasn't nearly as close to happening, like him being offered the gig, as some people like to think. Ironically, though, when NDV started singing more after that and Tony Banks heard Nick's voice on Nick's own tribute to The Lamb he said that had he known Nick could sing like that he might have gotten the FULL gig replacing Collins on drums AND vocals.

Without a doubt. I can't imagine that working given the personalities involved. Too many cooks and KG was quite a thorough chef.

Anyway, back to NDV playing drums with Spocks again, I just saw them do it live on Cruise To The Edge and it was great! This should be fantastic news for SB fans.
    I think you are playing with semantics on the KG runout. The fact Kevin's manager got the word that he in particular could audition, means certainly that Gspot certainly did not, not want, to audition him. Not knowing Gspot, I find it hard to beleive that Gspot would waste time with an audition of an American who would have to travel likely a ways to do that. Kevin's competition was steep though after I read about David Longdon's audition. Still can't imagine why he didn't get the role. I also find it hard to believe that KG's ego is bigger than PC's.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I think you are playing with semantics on the KG runout. The fact Kevin's manager got the word that he in particular could audition, means certainly that Gspot certainly did not, not want, to audition him. Not knowing Gspot, I find it hard to beleive that Gspot would waste time with an audition of an American who would have to travel likely a ways to do that. Kevin's competition was steep though after I read about David Longdon's audition. Still can't imagine why he didn't get the role. I also find it hard to believe that KG's ego is bigger than PC's.
    Well, as I said, I was curious about those rumors myself so I asked Davis and got the answer straight from the horse's mouth since Davis ran the auditions with Mike and Tony. They hadn't gotten to the point where they were considering Kevin yet. I told this to Jon Rubin, our manager when I was in Thud, and he explained it was Tony Smith/Hit & Run that got back to him saying that Kevin COULD audition. That's all that happened.

As for your comment about "egos", I don't know if you're serious but in case you are, I'd say it's not as simple as the "size of an ego". It's about personality, opinions and style. KG had a strong personality, he was majorly opinionated and had tons of style musically and lyrically. If TB and MR became FANS of Kevin and would have let him do his thing then it could have been amazing. But, at that point Genesis was TB and MR's baby, the vehicle for their writing, their words, their playing... I mean, I could just imagine Tony's face when Kevin would walk into his keyboard square and say "play something like this!" and then KG would play incredibly well (better than PG or PC ever did on keys). Tony would have gotten him out by Friday. As much as I know KG loved his Genesis I just can't imagine him resisting doing things like that. But, still, whether we knew any of these guys a little bit or not it's still just speculation so... by all means imagine whatever! I was mainly just sharing the truth about the rumor for anyone who cares about the reality vs. the fantasy.

I did also ask about Longdon vs. Wilson and NDV vs. Nir Z, the main contenders and/or contributors for CAS. But, some things are better not shared. I really like all of those guys and it's cool that they got the chance to do anything with the G-men. Being able to listen to NDV play with Longdon in BBT anyway is great. Aaaaannnnnd getting back on topic, hearing NDV play with Spocks Beard again is also great. I saw one of their first gigs ever. I went with Kevin. I think it was at the Whisky in LA. NDV invited us. After Progfest they asked me if I wanted to play keys in Spocks Beard too. But, that's a whole other story. SOC toured with Spocks Beard after NDV left and we really enjoyed hanging with them. Fun band! Seeing them on Cruise To The Edge with Nick was cool. I work with Nick a lot for drum sessions and he blows me away. He'll do an amazing job on the new SB album like he does on everything. One of the best IMO.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    Well, as I said, I was curious about those rumors myself so I asked Davis and got the answer straight from the horse's mouth since Davis ran the auditions with Mike and Tony. They hadn't gotten to the point where they were considering Kevin yet. I told this to Jon Rubin, our manager when I was in Thud, and he explained it was Tony Smith/Hit & Run that got back to him saying that Kevin COULD audition. That's all that happened.

As for your comment about "egos", I don't know if you're serious but in case you are, I'd say it's not as simple as the "size of an ego". It's about personality, opinions and style. KG had a strong personality, he was majorly opinionated and had tons of style musically and lyrically. If TB and MR became FANS of Kevin and would have let him do his thing then it could have been amazing. But, at that point Genesis was TB and MR's baby, the vehicle for their writing, their words, their playing... I mean, I could just imagine Tony's face when Kevin would walk into his keyboard square and say "play something like this!" and then KG would play incredibly well (better than PG or PC ever did on keys). Tony would have gotten him out by Friday. As much as I know KG loved his Genesis I just can't imagine him resisting doing things like that. But, still, whether we knew any of these guys a little bit or not it's still just speculation so... by all means imagine whatever! I was mainly just sharing the truth about the rumor for anyone who cares about the reality vs. the fantasy.

I did also ask about Longdon vs. Wilson and NDV vs. Nir Z, the main contenders and/or contributors for CAS. But, some things are better not shared. I really like all of those guys and it's cool that they got the chance to do anything with the G-men. Being able to listen to NDV play with Longdon in BBT anyway is great. Aaaaannnnnd getting back on topic, hearing NDV play with Spocks Beard again is also great. I saw one of their first gigs ever. I went with Kevin. I think it was at the Whisky in LA. NDV invited us. After Progfest they asked me if I wanted to play keys in Spocks Beard too. But, that's a whole other story. SOC toured with Spocks Beard after NDV left and we really enjoyed hanging with them. Fun band! Seeing them on Cruise To The Edge with Nick was cool. I work with Nick a lot for drum sessions and he blows me away. He'll do an amazing job on the new SB album like he does on everything. One of the best IMO.
    As you said, Genesis was Mike and Tony's baby, and with David Longdon, they were quoted as saying there would have been a lot of comparisons to PC. Perhaps they were more interested in moving on. My impression of KG in the time of Toy Matinee, he was was a good collaborator within the Tuesday music club. Anyway on with the thread, NDV back in SB is good, as long he is still the drummer man for BBT!

Nick isn't back in Spock's Beard. He told me he is showing up to do his drum parts and that is all. Nothing more to read into it.