Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lynda Carter - Rock n Roll Fantasy

It's on InsideOut with enormously progressive cover artwork. Dufus just bought it and stuck the foldout poster to his still-adolescent wall.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I would love to see Lynda do a PG Genesis medley. Start with "Watcher of the Skies". She would rock the bat alien outfit. In "Battle of Epping Forest" she could really stretch out as a British thug, and finish up with "Colony of Slippermen" and "Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" with the Slipperman suit and Rael character(preferably without leather jacket;-). It would be a truly memorable performance.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I'd like to say that that was the shittiest thing I've ever seen on Donny and Marie but I know that isn't true. There's probably a lot worse then that. This was a very popular show performed by a family very out of touch. My parents were devout fans of the Donny & Marie show. I remember an episode where they had Chuck Berry on as a guest and somehow was able to talk him into performing a very awkward rendition of Mr. Bojangles

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I'd like to say that that was the shittiest thing I've ever seen on Donny and Marie but I know that isn't true. There's probably a lot worse then that. This was a very popular show performed by a family very out of touch. My parents were devout fans of the Donny & Marie show. I remember an episode where they had Chuck Berry on as a guest and somehow was able to talk him into performing a very awkward rendition of Mr. Bojangles
    All I remember of that show was a number with a chorus of adults all dressed as babies, sucking on giant baby bottles. Gag...

That wasn't The Donny & Marie Show actually, but close. Lots of '70s variety shows had some very cringe inducing moments. The Linda Carter video was kinda par for that sort of thing. I've seen worse.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    After watching that, it took me at least 10 minutes before I decided not to rescind my previous spring/summer invite!

Her tits in the Kiss segment saved your ass.

what I want to know is that the Kiss characters dancing out were really Gene, Ace & Co??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

what I want to know is that the Kiss characters dancing out were really Gene, Ace & Co??
    We'll have to wait until Gruno makes an appearance to get official confirmation, but I'm pretty sure it isn't. I think they drew the line at the Paul Lynde Halloween Special, which, while being somewhat cringe worthy, it did give us the unique opportunity to see Gene, Paul, Ace and Peter interact not only with Mr. Center Square himself, but also Margaret Hamilton.

OH yeah, and then there was (mumbles under breath) Kiss Meets The Phantom Of The Park, but the less send about that fiasco the better.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 04-01-2017 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

Not unless Kiss were Asian. If you look closely, at least 3 of the dancers definitely are.

What do you mean, the real Kiss? I always assumed Kiss was like Blue Man group where there were multiple versions in different places at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What do you mean, the real Kiss? I always assumed Kiss was like Blue Man group where there were multiple versions in different places at the same time.
    You'd have to ask Gruno, but I'm pretty sure Kiss never did that. I've certainly never heard of there being more than one Kiss show happening simultaneously on any given date.

The story I heard once was that there were four different versions of the band, each of which had an actual original member, which is how they could legally call each version of the band "Kiss". But I find this unlikely. There's plenty of concert footage from all stages of their existence where you can see who is onstage. And I'm sorry, but anyone who uses the "But they're wearing makeup, how can you tell" excuse isn't looking closely enough.

This may be the whitest, most clueless cover of a rock ever. Be sure to listen to LW at the end of the song!

I'm pretty sure that a lot of KISS fans would recognize Gene and Paul even in makeup. There's no way they could pull that off.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    You'd have to ask Gruno, but I'm pretty sure Kiss never did that. I've certainly never heard of there being more than one Kiss show happening simultaneously on any given date.

The story I heard once was that there were four different versions of the band, each of which had an actual original member, which is how they could legally call each version of the band "Kiss". But I find this unlikely. There's plenty of concert footage from all stages of their existence where you can see who is onstage. And I'm sorry, but anyone who uses the "But they're wearing makeup, how can you tell" excuse isn't looking closely enough.
    I was actually joking, but I honestly can't tell what they look like with that stupid makeup on.

I was actually joking, but I honestly can't tell what they look like with that stupid makeup on.
    They look a bit like Adele. Before she lost weight.

You can tell when it's a different person. Everyone's facial contours are different. Greasepaint won't change that. You'd have to pull a Prince And The Pauper move to be able to pass someone different off. And even then, you'd have to have someone whose voice sounds just like the vocalists in question, who can sing just like that person, and play the respective instrument like the guy you're deputizing for. Hell, you'd have to be able to move around the stage like the guy too.

And you might have been joking, but there are some ignorant people out there who seriously believe Kiss does do that.

You can tell when it's a different person. Everyone's facial contours are different. Greasepaint won't change that. You'd have to pull a Prince And The Pauper move to be able to pass someone different off. And even then, you'd have to have someone whose voice sounds just like the vocalists in question, who can sing just like that person, and play the respective instrument like the guy you're deputizing for. Hell, you'd have to be able to move around the stage like the guy too.

And you might have been joking, but there are some ignorant people out there who seriously believe Kiss does do that.
    The thing is I've never looked at any of them closely. It's like the cast of Cats.

I'm watching Wonder Woman right now on MeTV. Eeeeeesh. Lynda Carter was a godess. Slurp.

The thing is I've never looked at any of them closely. It's like the cast of Cats.
    Well, trust me, if you spend any amount of time looking at pictures or videos, you can tell. In Kiss Meets The Phantom Of The Park, you can tell when the stunt doubles on screen, for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'm watching Wonder Woman right now on MeTV. Eeeeeesh. Lynda Carter was a godess. Slurp.
    Damn, we don't have MeTV on our TV service. We get some of the COZI schedule (it's shared with something called FETV, which preempts about half of the COZI schedule with either religious programming, Hazel, The Roy Rogers Show, or The Lone Ranger).

Damn, we don't have MeTV on our TV service. We get some of the COZI schedule (it's shared with something called FETV, which preempts about half of the COZI schedule with either religious programming, Hazel, The Roy Rogers Show, or The Lone Ranger).
    You can trust Vic on this one. Lynda Carter was a goddess.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    You can trust Vic on this one. Lynda Carter was a goddess.
    Oh, I know that. I'm old enough to remember Wonder Woman when it originally aired. I'm just saying I wish we got MeTV. There's a lot of vintage TV being shown lately, because we don't get the channels that are showing it.

Well, this Lynda Carter thing gets more interesting…

I waited to post this so you all could gather yourselves from that tasty performance by Lynda. If you thought it couldn't get any worse, well…

The outfit she wore in the KISS segment didn't get retired after that performance. In fact, it has a deeper KISS connection. Roughly 6 years after the Lynda Carter performance, Gene Simmons wore the same outfit. It was for the 1986 movie Never Too Young To Die. Gene's half-man/half-woman character, Velvet Von Ragnar, performs while wearing that costume. Images and video below…

I have never heard how this came to be.

Lynda:

Gene:

Gene's performance:

Yes, Gene played a hermaphrodite in the film.

By the way, this movie finally gets a Blu-Ray release on April 11:

https://www.amazon.com/Never-Young-B.../dp/B01MY5A7HN

I loved Kiss Meets the Phantom... when I was 13yrs old. If anything the movie helped disrupt the stigma of Kiss being Satan worshippers with regard to my parents (and others parents) idea of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    By the way, this movie finally gets a Blu-Ray release on April 11:

https://www.amazon.com/Never-Young-B.../dp/B01MY5A7HN

LOL, "finally." This movie should have gone direct-to-MST3K.

SO you've got a soap opera escapee, a Prince cast off, and Gene. Now that's what I call blockbuster casting! NOT!!!!

(but you remind me, I need to see Runaway again, I seem to recall that was a pretty good movie, had Tom Selleck in it, a not yet famous Kirstie Alley, and who was the blonde who played Selleck's partner? Can't remember her name, think she was a singer too)