Thread: Vans Warped Tour Summer 2017

Vans Warped Tour Summer 2017

Has anyone ever gone to one of these festivals over the years? What are the bands like? I confess that I have never even heard of most of them! The reason that I became interested at all is because Mike Peters & The Alarm will be one of the acts. However, I don't think I would really want to go if he only got a 30 minute slot.

http://vanswarpedtour.com/

Library Jon

I went to a couple back in the late 90s. It's basically a Punk Rock festival, or was then. (I was there mainly to see Bad Religion.) When I went, there were also a fair number of Ska-Core bands like The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Less Than Jake, etc, and they were very good too. Punks like Pennywise, Social Distortion, Descendents, etc were also on one of the bills. It was a mix of well-known acts and never-heard-of-them bands trying to catch on. However, one of the worst performances I ever saw was at Vans: Limp Bizkit before they broke big. Fred Durst swearing like a mofo in front of all the kids and their parents, musically horrible. I thought to myself, "What utter shit. These guys have no chance of breaking out." 2 years later they were huge.

Is The Alarm the same band from back in the 80’s with Mike Peters or is this a new band? The original Alarm was great. The only other band I have seen on that list is Valiant Thor. I saw them open for someone. Didn’t love them or hate them.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The Alarm is still active but Mike Peters is the only original member (with the blessing of the original members. Peters also does solo stuff. He has a yearly convention called The Gathering which is quite popular. Just him and The Alarm I think.

The Alarm is the only band here I've heard of -- I'm not even sure what Vans is. A shoe company?