Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Big Ears Festival 2017 - "On the Ground" Reviews

Big Ears Festival 2017 - "On the Ground" Reviews

With all due apologies to the brief distraction from which iteration of Yes is the least suckworthy ATM...

Big Ears 2017 is happening in Knoxville, starting yesterday and running through Sunday with the promise of some pretty amazing performances. It's literally impossible to see everything, but hopefully I and the precious few others (markwoll, nogbadthebad) who came can share a few thoughts here as the weekend plays out. And with that said, here's my recap of Thursday's fun!

Kickoff - not exactly thrilling but cool if only because it demonstrates how much the city of Knoxville supports Big Ears. The mayor came out as with prior years to talk about how much culture the festival brings to their town (she also has a running joke with the festival creator, promising to reference Captain Beefheart in her speech each year). This was followed by a few brief performances by musicians from the local colleges and programs. Kudos to Knoxville for not just talking about the arts, but seeming to throw actual support and $$ into the mix.

Ahleuchatistas - I've seen these lovelies from Cuneiform before, and it was a real thrill to see them cut loose in a sizable room with a healthy audience cheering them on. They were supremely powerful; in a few places they made me think of the finest moments from the band Battles. Super happy to see them receive such a warm welcome, and a nice high-energy way to get the festival rolling.

Sarah Kirkland Snider - knew nothing about her before the fest beyond the brief blurb in the promo materials. I guess she was just the composer and didn't actually perform, but that was fine. Musically, this was a soft blend of chamber rock, Americana and a very light sprinking of electronica/processing. Moderate-sized ensemble (maybe just under a dozen players including strings, a guitarist, percussionist, harp, piano, and a dude on laptop) with two male and one female vocalist (Mark told me the latter is also the person behind My Brightest Diamond). If this makes any sense, they reminded me of a "gentler" Thinking Plague. In keeping with the overall song cycle theme, there were also subdued but well-coordinated visuals behind the band, almost like a slide show of old photos. I thought it was quite lovely, engaging and exactly the sort of thing that is great about these fests: went from "who?" to "wow, so lovely, let me go buy this album."

Anna Meredith - another unknown before the show started. WOW. Amazing high energy quirk pop/electronica with a wildly weird/clever arrangement: Meredith on synths/percussion/wind (I couldn't tell which, maybe an oboe or clarinet?), a cellist, tuba player, guitarist and drummer. It sounds nuts and it definitely was but it all worked. They were clearly having a blast up there and the energy/enthusiasm was infectious. Musically it was deceptively complex with lots of syncopation introduced and some very fast lines between the players. There were moments that reminded me of everything from Philip Glass to Passion Pit to Nirvana, and a zillion points in between.

I had about 30 minutes to spare before the last act went on, so I wandered over to a nearby venue and checked out an ensemble called DakhaBrakha, some sort of percussion-type Ukranian folk act (apologies if I butchered that description). Very different but very cool...I could only stay for a few minutes but between the (I'm guessing traditional?) outfits and vocals it was an interesting little interlude.

Blonde Redhead with American Contemporary Music Ensemble - the band performed their album Misery is a Butterfly in full. Honestly wasn't familiar before this although I knew *of* the band. Shoegazer pop with fairly lush arrangements. I liked it, but also was running on fumes and took off about halfway through. I may investigate their albums though, as I suspect it's something I'll like.

One minor note...as much as I liked last year, the one thing that I missed was a contrast between higher-energy and more downbeat performances. This year already feels a bit more like prior years; one moment I am chilling out and the next, feeling pumped. It's really great.

Three days to go!
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    About how many people were there yesterday?

I saw the photo Ian posted on Facebook of him, you, and Mark Woll. Nice, what was the place you guys were eating at?

Honestly can't recall, some BBQ joint near one of the venues.

It is hard to gauge total attendance because it isn't one single venue so you never see all people in one place. My guess is somewhere between 700 and 900 people, maybe.

thank you for posting John. Looking forward to more, if it isn't too hard / too much at the end of these big days of music.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

My pleasure, Steve! Hopefully a few others can also chime in on stuff that I miss (I know folks saw My Brightest Diamond yesterday while I was engrossed in Anna Merideth), as well as cover critical details like where food was eaten

Sounds like a great time!

Keep the reports coming.I want DETAILS..DETAILS..DETAILS!!!!!

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

DON'T TELL ME HOW TO LIVE!!!

p.s. I haven't heard them in 10 years, but I really used to enjoy Blonde Redhead.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Great time so far, Ahleuchatistas were heavy complex, loud, good room, big crowd, forgot my ear plugs that was a mistake, really enjoyed the set. The Kathryn Snider vocal Chamber ensemble was superb, really entracing. Enjoyed the Anne Meredith, reminded me a lot of Moulettes with a bouncy joyful feel and interesting instruments with Tuba and Cello. That was my last act of the day as I was beat and knee was killing me.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    DON'T TELL ME HOW TO LIVE!!!

Can we control where you eat tonight? Get pizza!

Keep the reports coming. Big Ears lineup is always incredible and this year looks no different. I have no idea why I've never tried to go since it's relatively close by.

Thanks! Yeah...it's a pretty remarkable festival, especially for this region (I overheard the festival organizer earlier, describing Knoxville as the "Bermuda Triangle" of Appalachia).

So far today it's been Maya Beiser, Matmos, Robyn Hitchcock and Frederic Rzewski. Taking a brief pause before a dinner break with the gents, and then tonight I have Henricksen/Storløkken (50% of Supersilent, 100% awesome), Johann Johannsson, Colleen and Tortoise. Those are the "for certain" picks. If time and consciousness permit, I may also try to squeeze in a few minutes of Oliver Coates, Wilco, and Laetitia Sadier. There is also a promised "secret show" @ 9 PM that I might peek into out of curiosity.

Man...all of this and we're only halfway through the weekend! Weather has been absolutely gorgeous too, mid/high 60s into low 70's with a nice breeze. Rain is due on Sunday but even a few days like this will be really wonderful.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    p.s. I haven't heard them in 10 years, but I really used to enjoy Blonde Redhead.
    Blond Redhead was sort of interesting. The real attraction were the legs on Kazu Makino, wow.
    Was not too familiar with the music and as such was not possessed by the fan attraction that many had. It was well attended.

My Brightest Diamond was pretty ok.
    Solid rhythm section and strong vocals from Shara Nova. She has the frontwoman thing down, dynamic and engaging.
    The music was sort of activist pop, strong social justice themes.

Caught a couple of minutes of Robyn Hitchcock. It was 100% Robyn Hitchcock.
    Maya Beiser did some solo cello with looping that was pretty cool.

More to come
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

The Rzewski set earlier was very interesting/cool...instead of being up on stage, the piano was in the center of the room and the audience was encouraged to come up and sit around him as he performed. Very intimate, very neat (the music itself was The People United Will Never Be Defeated! and as such was some pretty challenging 20th century solo piano). Got sore sitting on the hardwood floor and left before the end...but it was exactly the sort of thing that makes Big Ears such a cool time for me.

Also walked past Carla Bley on the street. Didn't stop and ask for a selfie. Also didn't ask her for dining suggestions.

Also didn't ask her for dining suggestions.
    CarlaBley_BBand_appearing.nightly.jpg
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Also didn't ask her for dining suggestions.
    0042282581525.jpg
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    That was my last act of the day as I was beat and knee was killing me.
    Bent knee?

Where are you guys eating?

Thanks! Yeah...it's a pretty remarkable festival, especially for this region (I overheard the festival organizer earlier, describing Knoxville as the "Bermuda Triangle" of Appalachia).

When Big Ears was first announced several years ago I was convinced there must be another Knoxville, TN somewhere. I guarantee you more Knoxvillanders(?) can tell you without hesitation who was third string left tackle on the '88 Vols than know who John Cage was. That said it really is a nice little city that I enjoyed visiting when my brother lived up there years ago.

I came to Knoxville a few times during high school for various music programs/clinics/etc...but never really spent much time here beyond that.

On a short break before the last few acts start this evening. Man...the Henricksen/Storløkken performance at the church (with the latter on pipe organ) was just plain magical for me. And the Johannsson Drone Mass was a thing of beauty. Thus far, most of today's music has been ensemble pieces like this, so Tortoise tonight will be a nice switching of gears...a touch of "rock" thrown back into the mix

So far today, Maya Beiser was wonderful trance like solo cello, Matmos wasn't really for me, spoken word with ambient acoustic behind, left after 30 min, Fredric Rzewski, was 20th century solo piano, good in parts, 30 min was enough for me, Storlokken and Hendriksen were playing ambient church organ and trumpet in a church, superb, wonderful stuff. Johannsen Drone Mass with choir and string Quartet playing overy drone was otherworldly, I was entranced.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

What are the different venues and how far apart are they?

Probably longest distance is 2 miles, range of major theaters, small theaters, clubs, churches, warehouses, etc, lot of standing this year.
    Ian