Thread: Ibeyi: French-Cuban Twins with beautiful voices singing in English, Yoruba, French

Ibeyi: French-Cuban Twins with beautiful voices singing in English, Yoruba, French

One has to wonder are there any other examples of twins making such beautiful music. Warning to hard core proggers: A drum machine is used in live performance, but on the plus side their father was the famed Cuban percussionist, Anga Díaz, who has received a Grammy for his work with the Latin jazz band Irakere and was also a member of Buena Vista Social Club. One of the twins, Naomi learned to play his signature instrument, the cajon. Their mother is French-Venezuelan singer, Maya Dagnino, who serves as their manager and encouraged Lisa-Kainde's songwriting. Heard the first two videos watching the Alvin Ailee dance group in Berkeley this last weekend. Enjoy.

Yes, this is good.

Catherine Jauniaux sings some Yoruba (IIRC) on her excellent Fluvial album from '83, other than that you won't hear it very often in pop/rock music - not even in West-African pop.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This would be perfect for the Off-Topic (OT) - Music And Arts page.

^

Or perhaps it can be incorporated into one of those main forum threads on GTR, Tears for Fears or The Buggles?

Yeah, I know - nag, nag...
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^

Or perhaps it can be incorporated into one of those main forum threads on GTR, Tears for Fears or The Buggles?
    No, that wouldn't make any sense either!

^ But then we could at least argue that at least The Bugs etc. have incredibly clear connection to the incredible prog while that dumb African Yo'bla-bla thing doesn't!?

Haha you guys are great! I was wondering if I should put it in off topic, but seemed a little world musicish and didn't belong next to REO speedwagon threads. Thanks for musical comments though SS and the Yoruba connection.

^ But then we could at least argue that at least The Bugs etc. have incredibly clear connection to the incredible prog while that dumb African Yo'bla-bla thing doesn't!?
    A clear connection to "21st Century Progressive Rock," as it says above, yes. That doesn't make them better, just on topic. Frank Sinatra is probably better too.

>> One has to wonder are there any other examples of twins making such beautiful music.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Frank Sinatra
    I'm a Sinatra fan, and I like prog - even proggy-prog. Connection - check.

John Greaves is a zillion times better "prog credentialist" than I'll ever be - and his biggest hero was Sinatra. Connection.

Sinatra was once married to Mia Farrow, who appeared in Polanski's film of your dad's novel, Jed. Morte Macabre later covered Komeda's legendary tune for the movie, and MM were prog. Connection.

To Sinatra, I mean.

Sherman Hemsley liked Gentle Giant. The Jefferson's is 21st-century progressive rock.

>> One has to wonder are there any other examples of twins making such beautiful music.

Triplets (Seymours)? Nice piano/drums with some spirited vocals that are at times almost Sparks like. Thanks

Sherman Hemsley liked Gentle Giant. The Jefferson's is 21st-century progressive rock.
    No, not every Jefferson's episode was progressive rock, but this one was, so where do you put this kind of show?

Quote Originally Posted by markowitz View Post
    One has to wonder are there any other examples of twins making such beautiful music.
    Not exactly beautiful, perhaps - but here are two examples of cutting-edge progressive rock music featuring identical twin couples:

Gnidrolog, featuring the Goldring bros. on guitar/vox and bass respectively; two Cockney Jewish lads going bewildered.

Kräldjursanstalten from Sweden (late 70s/early 80s), featuring Stefan and Tomas Agaton, both swapping bass and guitars and according to rumour ALWAYS dressing identically and often speaking at the same time, prompting bandleader/drummer/singer Mikael Maksymenko to admit even many years later that there'd be times when he actually wasn't able to tell which was which. Telepathical understanding of tone patterns were an inherent luxury though, as the twins would perform song textures written by Maksymenko as interpretations of dynamics and logics in icehockey - a game which he'd pursued professionally until an unfortunate injury necessitated his musical career instead.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 03-23-2017 at 02:42 PM.

There was a white nationalist duo called Prussian Blue - twin sisters. Not prog, fortunately.

Prussian Blue
    Yes, alluding to the coloured residue on concrete from Zyklon B applied in the vernichtungslager. I know about them.

Genuinely sickening, but about as "successfully provocative" as a drunken Dudley Moore, I'm happy to say.

Yes, alluding to the coloured residue on concrete from Zyklon B applied in the vernichtungslager. I know about them.

Genuinely sickening, but about as "successfully provocative" as a drunken Dudley Moore, I'm happy to say.
    Dudley Moore reference hilarious. He seemed plastered always. Friend who heard Ibeyi thought they sounded a little like Bjork.