Thread: One Man Genesis Tribute

One Man Genesis Tribute

https://youtu.be/-V7Dqf-FQL4

Check out this multi-instrumental musician from Canada
    who creates a one-man tribute to the classic Genesis sound.

Hey Squids! You should check out this guy!

His Rush covers are great too - a beast of a player.

Love it----especially the Down and Out going into the sublime overlooked amazing end of All in a Mouses Night thanks to Banks and Hackett.

It's a shame he can't find people locally to play this music with him. Then he wouldn't have to resort to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    It's a shame he can't find people locally to play this music with him. Then he wouldn't have to resort to this.
    I doubt he would find it difficult to find people to play with him in the land of prog...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

But why would he resort to this if that was so? Seems more desperate than clever.

But why would he resort to this if that was so? Seems more desperate than clever.
    I don't know the guy but it seems to me that "this is what he does". If you look at the credits, it appears that he is a complete package, audio and video. He has an array of friends that contributed instruments and such to enable him to produce this "product", which is obviously made for Youtube consumption. The one man aspect is the big attraction and peeks curiosity and it succeeds...
    Dave Sr.

Don't knock it till you try it. Doing projects like these is incredibly satisfying. To be able to play all of the elements of a favorite song is sublime.

Resort to what? Seems great to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Don't knock it till you try it. Doing projects like these is incredibly satisfying. To be able to play all of the elements of a favorite song is sublime.
    Agree... I've always wanted to try my hand at doing something like this but my lack of guitar skills is too great to overcome. haha.

He could always be an understudy for The Musical Box ;-) I wonder if he can sing like Gabriel, Collins and Wilson?

Good stuff, I wonder how long it took him to put that together. I was slobbering over his equipment: 2 freaking double neck guitars plus Moog pedals.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Good stuff, I wonder how long it took him to put that together. I was slobbering over his equipment: 2 freaking double neck guitars plus Moog pedals.
    if you read the credits you will see that some of the gear was loaned to him....
    Dave Sr.

I saw this too. It was very well done. I like how there are two post Hackett tracks in there too(SHBTS and Down and Out).

I just saw the Rush medley. There is a cover of Tarkus he did with a full band too.

OOOPS

I really should pay attention to posts here.

I just started a new thread on this.

Mods may toss it if they wish

DtB

It's incredible!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm more impressed with the way he mashes different songs together into a mostly-seamless medley. Some incredible leaps of time & space in there. Well done!

This guy's dream must be to clone himself so he'd actually be able to do for real what it takes all this effort of playing, filming and mixing to make it look like he's an actual one-man band. As other people have pointed out, that's a somewhat depressing aspect of what he's doing, but otherwise, great music and superb renditions of many of my favourite Genesis bits.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

There's a Prog Story tribute that's running here in Quebec. He's the drummer in that band.

I listened recently for the first time to the Tony Banks solo records which I like a lot being also a fan of Vaughan Williams and the British Choral music. I read some chapters of Chapter and Verse and there is the part where Ahmet Ertegun speaks about Genesis and at one point he says that Banks represents 90% of the Genesis sound . I agree completely and I am always amazed that the Musical Box keyboardist , Hackett's one and this guy have all the perfect copy of the Banks sound contrary to the drum and guitar sound which alters slightly. It makes sense that once you find the exact keyboard settings you have the exact sound. I find this personally a bit awkward. I don't know a lot of Genesis cover bands but I would be interested to know if someone has tried other arrangements with acoustic instruments for the classic Banks moments.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"