Thread: Frank Zappa Documentary Zapped! & DVD Eat That Question!

Frank Zappa Documentary Zapped! & DVD Eat That Question!

The French/German TV channel Arte aired Friday a great documentary about Zappa: Zapped ! (61min) by German director Thorsten Schütte. I really liked the film consisting mainly of interviews with the man himself following a chronological order (and without the often indigest small talk by family and musicians that you tend to find in this type of documentary)
    It's available until the 25th of march on Arte Replay (might not be possible everywhere)

http://http://www.arte.tv/guide/fr/048387-000-A/zapped

I saw also that a Zappa documentary DVD by Thorsten Schütte was released in Germany last week with the title Eat That Question (93 min) I suppose it's the same material shortened for TV .

71i4FDSzVOL._SL1135_.jpg
    Last edited by alucard; 03-21-2017 at 07:26 AM.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Not available in Trumpland.

^Of course the full-length Eat That Question version had a well-publicized but limited theatrical run last year (OK, it was Obamaland then, but still) and is readily available on DVD.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    ... or Mayville.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    ^Of course the full-length Eat That Question version had a well-publicized but limited theatrical run last year (OK, it was Obamaland then, but still) and is readily available on DVD.
    Yep! I saw it a couple of times. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Ahhh, but if it was, it would be tremendous. In fact, it would be sooo great that you would get tired of all the greatness, believe me.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

They've also been showing Eat That Question on some of the premium channels on our TV service too. I got a chunk of it last night, not bad, for what it is, which appears to be mainly various bits of interviews, cut together with a bit of music here and there. Would have preferred it the other way around, but it's not bad. Love the story about Norwegians slow dancing to Bobby Brown Goes Down, like they thought it was a conventional pop ballad or something. The brief bit where he's talking about the Synclavier was kind of interesting too.

I also thought the clip of him doing Camarillo Brillo, where he's right on the edge of the stage, sort of "feeling the love" of the crowd, I thought that was interesting, in light of what happened at the Rainbow Theater, back in 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I also thought the clip of him doing Camarillo Brillo, where he's right on the edge of the stage, sort of "feeling the love" of the crowd, I thought that was interesting, in light of what happened at the Rainbow Theater, back in 1970.
    That's an exerpt from Baby Snakes ,from the 1979 Halloween shows. If you look close you see Zappas bodyguard following him closely and if he feels someone gripping Zappas hand he hits them on the fingers with a kind of telescope stick.

And yes it was the directors idea to use mainly interviews and let Zappa speak for himself.