Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bracket: Remember The Future vs Recycled

RTF
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Thread answer: Remember The Future.

Recycled contains some excellent moments; side B is wonderful (if one can digest the discoid stuff). However, I can't help thinking that id sounds closer to 80s than 1975. Ahead of its time, in a way.

My favourite is Journey To The Centre Of The Eye and their take on MAN on ...Sounds Like This .

Got rid of Down To Earth ages ago. Never resonated with me.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 03-21-2017 at 05:24 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

RTF
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

RTF, because Side 1 is incredibly strong.

Side 2 is a real mess, IMO. And I've never heard a more anti-climatic ending to a concept album. "Let It Grow" makes "It" sound like sheer genius.

Probably recycled although admittedly I have to revisit both. RTF has a few great moments but I think recycled might be more consistent.

I knew I had a few Nektar albums around here that a friend copied on CDr for me years ago. One CDr is a twofer, Remember The Future and Recycled. Haven't heard 'em in ages. I'll get to work right away. Will report back later.

I love concept albums so Remember the Future by far.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I love concept albums so Remember the Future by far.
    Recycled is also a "concept album".
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Recycled
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I love to read how diverse the Nektar audience is here. It is true that each of the classic albums appealed to different tastes in music (the "disco" mentioned was actually calypso).. and different moods within each album too, yet everything recorded DID have an undeniable "Nektar" imprint. I do have a higher regard for "RECYCLED" because this was a shout out to our planet and our environment which still holds up now, 42 years later. Marvellous Moses was for FM radio, as was the DTE album in the days of great radio programming in American cities.
    I do think that Nektar is becoming a "forgotten" band, people who liked us in the seventies are disappearing fast and younger folks only like what they hear on their phones.... thus they won't hear Nektar anyway, so... how COULD they like it?
    I'll check back next Saturday.... my online day. It IS nice to see that some of us still interact enough to care.

I really need to hear some Nektar. Perhaps I'll check out Recycled this afternoon.

Like others, my fave Nektar is actually A Tab in the Ocean. I have a soft spot for their debut too. These two are both fine records, but not among my all-time favorites. If pressed to pick one over the other, I'd probably go with RTF, though Recycled isn't bad at all.

difficult to choose , because I've never really owned Nektar albums (borrowed them a few times, though)

For some reasons, I've never totally warmed to this band ... not enough to want to own (and use precious shelf space) any of their albums
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Back in 2009 I think it was, at the 3RP fest in Pittsburgh, I had a brief conversaton with a gentleman a little older than I. We were both looking through CDs at one of the vendor tables and he happened to ask me who my favorite band was. Genesis was my answer, to which he asked "Which period?", and I answered "all of them".

Anyway, he picked up a Nektar CD, which I believe was Remember The Future, and told me that side 2 was his favorite piece of music ever. Kept meaning to check it out, but never did for some reason.

I'll vote Remember The Future but I'm not big on either. The two I still spin are A Tab In The Ocean and Journey To The Center Of The Eye.
    Recycled had a lot of cringe-worthy moments in my opinion but then it's been many years since I've head it.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten