Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: R.I.P. Chuck Berry

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    As is its very cultural logistic as such. Leaving an ongoing endeavour lacking an overall audience and so neither prone to develop any further as either art-form or commercial enterprise, resulting in absence of aesthetic as well as mercantile vitality - i.e. final and unequivocal *death*.
    I agree with everything you say except for rock music not being prone to further development as an art-form; I base this on the sheer numbers of culturally-insignificant bands currently creating interesting (to me) music.

As for the cultural logistic, if by that you mean mass popular tastes have rendered "our" music irrelevant, hell yes.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    I agree with everything you say except for rock music not being prone to further development as an art-form; I base this on the sheer numbers of culturally-insignificant bands currently creating interesting (to me) music.

As for the cultural logistic, if by that you mean mass popular tastes have rendered "our" music irrelevant, hell yes.
    With 'cultural logistic' I'm essentially pointing to the fact that virtues of clean-cut creativity have taken on a status of obsolescence, in that not even most purported "progressive rock" fans appear notably engaged with the idea of progressive rock music sans quotation marks. Flogging fishy cadavers may generate enticing scents, yet you'll most likely barf or at least feel vaguely disappointed if you attempt to actually devour it.

Don't forget that mum of little Oscar's in Schlöndorff's dramatization of Grass' The Tin Drum; she munches and consumes raw eel and eventually succumbs, after first viewing in shock and through puke how her estranged husband produces the live eel from a moist-rotting horse's skull.

Death.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Death.
    That pretty much sums it all up.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Although.....

Jazz has been dead since, I don't know, 1970 - whenever Bitches' Brew came out. Yet there are still jazz musicians. And jazz still informs some pop music - right now notably the West Coast Get Down and their work with Kendrick Lamar, and Lamar's rapping approach as the Coltrane of Words.

Rock was considered dead back in the Nineties, replaced by dance-pop, early rap, and Corporate Music. Then the whole grunge/indie boom happened. For that matter, rock was considered dead in 1962, replaced by Motown and that era's version of teen pop. In some circles, it was seen as dead in 1975, replaced by disco. But it wasn't.

So don't write it off entirely.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar

Oops! There's a little Chuck Berry dig in there. RIP to the man who must be reckoned with, even in sketch comedy by a bunch of wise-asses.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Chuck Barris deserves his own thread. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Wow. Weird in that he died in the general area I was born and grew up in(hudson valley area of NY)but born where I live now(Philly area). RIP. I suppose another thread should be made though.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 03-22-2017 at 12:15 PM.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

From his new album (Berry, not the CIA guy):

The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by God
    What's that? Barris? BARRIS? I thought you said "Berry," sorry. Oops.

Interesting yet odd, almost uncomfortable interview with Nick Mason -

"Is there a sort of a Pink Floyd track that you would say you can hear Chuck Berry in?" "Uhm, nothing springs to mind."
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973