Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bracket: Stardust We Are vs. Beware of Darkness

Bracket: Stardust We Are vs. Beware of Darkness

What say you? On the one hand, Stardust We Are is a lush symphonic masterpiece, and set the template for several 150-minute albums to follow. On the other hand, Beware of Darkness combines the best elements of Gentle Giant, the Beatles, and Genesis, while transcending all of them.

If you could pick only one, which one would it be?

Beware Of Darkness. No contest. For me, Neal Morse (not to mention George Harrison) is a far superior writer to Roine.
    YMMV a lot....

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    What say you? On the one hand, Stardust We Are is a lush symphonic masterpiece, and set the template for several 150-minute albums to follow. On the other hand, Beware of Darkness combines the best elements of Gentle Giant, the Beatles, and Genesis, while transcending all of them.
    ROFLMAO! You actually had me there for a minute!

SB's cover version of Beware of Darkness is beyond awesome. I hate cover songs that are either an exact, but not as good, copy of the original song. If you are going to do a cover, make it your own. See, e.g. Hendrix - All Along The Watch Tower, MMEB - Blinded By the Light, Joe Cocker - With a Little Help From My Friends and even Soft Cell - Tainted Love.

Stardust We Are is one of the few FK albums I don't own... and have no desire to own.

Beware of Darkness. Yes, the exact album that brought me into the world of the 3rd wave of Progressive Rock. It's a seminal work of art, perhaps by the test of time, their best most solid work. The Doorway, Walking On The Wind, Time Has Come, BOD... this is the stuff.

Beware did nothing for me. It's Stardust by a landslide.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Hmm... I'd have to say Beware of Darkness, but just by a skosh. The Doorway is one of my favorite songs by anyone.

Beware of Darkness combines the best elements of Gentle Giant, the Beatles, and Genesis, while transcending all of them.
    Um,..wot?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Um,..wot?
    Yeah, can't say I agree with that part of the OP's commentary.

Stardust We Are

I didn't really get into SB until V

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    ROFLMAO! You actually had me there for a minute!
    Things a bit slow in Montreal, Sean?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Beware Of Darkness.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Stardust We Are. Like most FK albums, there's some filler, but the title track is wonderful and there's a 20-minute stretch on Disc 1 that I think is their very finest work.

ouch.

SWA. BoD is perhaps my least favorite Spock's album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    <sig out of order>

Gentle Giant, the Beatles, and Genesis, while transcending all of them.
    Would you go as far as to say 'Beware' actually influenced those groups?

BOD.

PE - the land of parallel universes.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Would you go as far as to say 'Beware' actually influenced those groups?
    Yes, such is the power of Neal Morse.
    <sig out of order>

Tough one for me. I like Beware Of Darkness a lot, but it's not my favourite of the Beard (I think they finally nailed it with The Kindness Of Strangers), whereas Stardust We Are might well be my favourite release from the Flowery lot. It's a huge album, but I don't think it has the filler that others think it has (some of their albums might!)...

So I go with Stardust We Are.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I listened to both within the last month and this is too close to call. I have a great appreciation for both albums.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

A positive thing about this thread is that it has caused me to go back and revisit both albums, and I'm glad for that.

I'd forgotten what a cool track "Just This Once" was, from Stardust We Are.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Stardust We Are is one of the few FK albums I don't own... and have no desire to own.

Beware of Darkness. Yes, the exact album that brought me into the world of the 3rd wave of Progressive Rock. It's a seminal work of art, perhaps by the test of time, their best most solid work. The Doorway, Walking On The Wind, Time Has Come, BOD... this is the stuff.
    Exactly my experience. I don't have Stardust. I've got all the FK albums I need. BOD was the first Beard record I bought just based on reviews. Liked it instantly. Today I couldn't care less about either band.

Oh wait, I think I just realized this thread was started just to be satirical.

Oops...

Pound for pound, I would give the nod to Stardust. With that said, I have gotten more mileage out of Beware of Darkness over the last several years. It's hard to fathom that both these albums are now 20 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Oh wait, I think I just realized this thread was started just to be satirical.

Oops...
    #toib
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.