Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bracket: Stardust We Are vs. Beware of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Pound for pound, I would give the nod to Stardust. With that said, I have gotten more mileage out of Beware of Darkness over the last several years. It's hard to fathom that both these albums are now 20 years old.
    Amen to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    #toib
    Okay, admitting my own ignorance, I'm not sure what that hashtag means. Google is no help either.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Oh wait, I think I just realized this thread was started just to be satirical.

Oops...
    Posted by Mr. McFee.......ya think?

That being said, I happen to love both of these albums, so I will make a pick and go with "Stardust" which I still think is their best album.

While I admit some mischief, I'm genuinely curious which one will win.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I haven't played either of them in 10 years. Maybe I'll change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Stardust We Are

I didn't really get into SB until V

This. As big a fan I am of TFK, I am the inverse of SB. "V" is the only SB album that clicks with me.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Okay, admitting my own ignorance, I'm not sure what that hashtag means. Google is no help either.
    It goes back to the RMP discussion board days where Sean was affectionately known as The Original Irish Bastard. I suppose on St. Patrick's Day, he couldn't resist the nostalgia.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

McFee is my evil id, unleashed.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Sorry bub, but until I hear you speak conversational French, I ain't buyin' it.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I thought YOU were the evil one.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Sorry bub, but until I hear you speak conversational French, I ain't buyin' it.
    There is such a thing?

Hmmm, well I've listened to Stardust getting on 100 times. Maybe made it thru 'Beware of Darkness' once, so I may be prejudiced...

Lol. Same old Sean. I remember the trolling with Jellyfish >>>>> Spock's Beard. Good times.

Roine always over Morse.

Beware Of Darkness, I must play it again soon.

Love, love, love them both. I didn't (and still don't) care for The Light. Beware Of Darkness was a huge step forward for Spock's Beard.

And with Stardust We Are we arrive at the exact moment The Flower Kings really found their groove. Padded? A bit, perhaps, but it's a terrific album and I'll give it the nod here.

Roine Stolt and Neal Morse really ought to start a band together...
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Roine Stolt and Neal Morse really ought to start a band together...
    That would be like putting Jordan and Kobe on the same team...Not enough basketballs for both of them.

beware of darkness

I love both of the bands in this era of these albums. When I saw the post, I immediately voted for Spocks. I just listened to both of them as its been quite a while for either. And still say Beware of Darkness. It feels more melodic, lighter and the content feels to me to be more varied. I sometimes feel the FKs put everything and run out of kitchen sinks to put in their work. And I love Stolts guitar work, and Salazar and Bruniusson were effing brilliant together. I think they could have trimmed this in half and still ended up with a great collection of work. I feel like I'm getting beaten over the head! I fell off their wagon after the rainmaker and haven't been able to get back on. Actually, after Day For Night for SB, about when Neal started drifting toward the light too.

Well, you COULD stack up the players against each other: Drummer - clear advantage Spock's Beard. Guitarist - clear advantage Spock's Beard. Bassist - advantage Spock's Beard (No Jonas yet). Keyboards - Hmmm.... MIGHT have to give the edge to Tomas Bodin, though Neal is fantastic. Vocals - both bands are an acquired taste vocally, so I'll call it a draw. (but I prefer Neal and Nick to Hasse and Whiny). Composition: Slam dunk Spock's Beard.

Your Kilometerage May Vary

If I had to express a preference, I'd go with Beware of Darkness, probably on the grounds of 'The Doorway' alone. I probably haven't listened to either in a decade, though, and they both seem to belong to an entirely different time in my life when every other cd purchase seemed to come from SPV. Happy days, but really not where my head's at anymore, and if I'm honest I feel no compulsion to revisit either album.

^^^ I can empathize to an extent. When I was 19, I found a used copy of Beware of Darkness in FYE and bought it after hearing some samples in the store. At the time I was heartbroken over a girl, and BoD (especially The Doorway) was very comforting for whatever reason. I really wasn't even full-on into "prog" at the time, but just getting acquainted with it.

Revisiting both Beware and Stardust this week has been pretty nice actually. It's cool to remember those times now, several years later.

Since I do not like any Spock's I have to go with FK.

NEITHER!

I have no idea who these albums were by until I read the thread! Sorry, I don't get outside the 60s and 70s much!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I just wanted to say LOL about this:

>> Deyss -At-King vs Edith -A Space Between Ever And Never....

LOL

The Edith CD is harder to get rid of, I can tell you that!