Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Live staples that never appeared on a band's studio albums

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Utopia's Another Live had The Wheel and Seven Rays which never had a studio incarnation to my memory. Probably more of a one tour event than a live staple though.
    They played Seven Rays on the Back to the Bars tour, but (like Just One Victory) it didn't make it to the 1978 live album because it was too soon after Another Live. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iK-37Is3po

I'd say The Wheel turns up often enough in Todd's solo tours for it to be described as a staple.

Allman Brothers Band - Hot 'Lanta

Quote Originally Posted by Luckie View Post
    They played Seven Rays on the Back to the Bars tour, but (like Just One Victory) it didn't make it to the 1978 live album because it was too soon after Another Live. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iK-37Is3po

I'd say The Wheel turns up often enough in Todd's solo tours for it to be described as a staple.
    I saw Todd around this time, thrice in fact, twice when he had a short residency at a venue called The New Victoria in London. I went to two of these shows, a matinee and an evening one, and it was a great day as there were a handful of attendees who had misprinted tickets, myself amongst them, we turned up really early to find the gig was later than anticipated. We retired to the pub for a few hours and chatted all things Todd. I then saw him supporting Led Zeppelin at their final Knebworth show. I can't find a set list for either gig anywhere, and would love to know what he played. My memory four decades on is hazy in the extreme.

Edit - I was looking in the wrong year, The New Victoria shows were actually '77 and the setlist was pretty eclectic, I remember that I caught a TR plectrum which I still have to this day. http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/utopia...-3bd62c24.html
    Last edited by Sunlight Caller; 03-21-2017 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Still no studio version of Magma's Zess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Magma- Zess. I have never seen a studio version, only live.
    There is a more obvious one than this, surely (unless I missed someone else saying it): Theusz Hamtaahk!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Thermal Inversion from the early 80's Tangerine Dream live set.
    The title did not ring a bell, so I went to YT and had a listen. It didn't sound unfamiliar, so I wondered how that was the case. Then I found out why: http://www.voices-in-the-net.de/_thermal_inversion.htm

Peter Gabriel - I Go Swimming. It's on the Plays Live album but not a studio album.

First thing that came to mind was "Radio Junk" by Yellow Magic Orchestra, a song I always assumed was a cover since it never turned up on a studio recording.

"E" by Cornelius has been his encore for almost two decades now. Don't think it was ever recorded in the studio.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Utopia's Another Live had The Wheel and Seven Rays which never had a studio incarnation to my memory. Probably more of a one tour event than a live staple though.
    this stuff was originally intended for a studio album, right? thought the first Utopia lineup wound up imploding which threw a wrench in things for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    not to mention "Theusz Hamtaak" and "Retrovision"

(idk if those are live staples, but I've got at least 3 recordings of each, so I'd say yeah)
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

How about Genesis(later)with the motown medley. Todd Rundgren did something similar on one of his live albums. Speaking of Todd(kind of sort of but not directly)the Tubes did a few songs that weren't on their studio albums. There were a few on their first live album and also they used to play one called "sports fans" that wasn't on any studio albums.

For a long time Yes would play what I used to call "Trevor Jam" which would precede "owner of a lonely heart" in live shows. They later took that intro and expanded it and it became "make it easy" which as far as I know you can only find on the Yesyears box set. Yes had a few other things too like the "color song" and "the tour song." I only know about these because I had a friend who had some of their "unofficial live recordings."

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Peter Gabriel - I Go Swimming. It's on the Plays Live album but not a studio album.
    I don't know how often he played that one but I would still say that's a good example.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Yes had a few other things too like the "color song" and "the tour song." I only know about these because I had a friend who had some of their "unofficial live recordings."
    "Color Song" is actually "Beautiful Land" by Anthony Newley and Leslie Bricusse, from the musical The Roar of the Greasepaint, The Smell of the Crowd.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

How about Genesis(later)with the motown medley.
    Made famous by our own J Kelman, who wrote in a DVD review that the medley was 20 minutes of his life he would never get back! It really was godawful. And I *like* 80s Genesis

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Made famous by our own J Kelman, who wrote in a DVD review that the medley was 20 minutes of his life he would never get back! It really was godawful. And I *like* 80s Genesis
    The whole Ruined running gag had its basis in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    not to mention "Theusz Hamtaak" and "Retrovision"
    (idk if those are live staples, but I've got at least 3 recordings of each, so I'd say yeah)
    Well, Retrovision seems to have been played regularly in the late 70's and early 80's, and if I'm not mistaken, they've revisited it in recent years. At least three different versions of it have been released over the years.

Theusz Hamtaahk I think could be also called a staple. I believe it was played regularly circa 74-76, with it appearing on two different archival releases from that era. And it was on Retrospectiw I+II (and my apologies for not using the appropriate dots and whatever over the letters, I'm kind of exhausted right now, having just gotten home from work), and it's been played numerous times in the 21st century, appearing on two different DVD's. They played it the last two times I saw them, in fact.

But here's the thing: I remember there used to be a Magma fan website, which quoted an interview with, I believe, Benoit Widemann, where it was mentioned that the Retrospectiw records were really studio recordings with crowd noise overdubbed on them. So maybe there is a studio version of Theusz Hamtaahk.

The only place I've heard them is on the Bobino '81 video, so I don't know how regularly they were played, but there's also Zain and that instrumental with the bass solo in it, I forget the name, but it goes from the instrumental to the bass solo, to Retrovision. I think there's also a short song in the second set that hasn't been on a studio album either.
    Tubes did a few songs that weren't on their studio albums. There were a few on their first live album and also they used to play one called "sports fans" that wasn't on any studio albums.
    I seem to recall reading an interview with a couple of the band members where they mentioned a song called Baby Your Face Is Mutated, which the article said had never been on any album, but bootlegs were reputed to exist.
    How about Genesis(later)with the motown medley.
    I'm assuming you're talking about the Turn It On Again medley from the Mama tour, which wasn't strictly speaking all "Motown" (In The Midnight Hour, for one, was released by Atlantic, and I forget what label Culture Club was on).

And speaking of Genesis, did anyone mention Twilight Alehouse? That was, as I understand, a live favorite during the Nursery Cryme/Foxtrot era, but only was released as a single B-side (and if I remember correctly, said single didn't come out until after they'd actually stopped playing it).

Another Todd one: “Jesse,” which was a live staple in the late 80s and early 90s. Hilariously, I remember hearing it on a radio transcript of a live show, and there’s so much swearing in it, one line was just one long “BLEEEEEEEEEEP!”
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Someone mentioned Phish, I would guess there are dozens of songs (over 100 ?) they've written themselves that are not on official studio albums (Hood, Slave, all of the Gamehenge songs, etc.), not to mention dozens of regular live covers. I'm convinced that given an afternoon to work up a version, they could play literally anything.

I would say the same goes for Umphrey's McGee, and probably several other jam bands.

[I'm assuming you're talking about the Turn It On Again medley from the Mama tour, which wasn't strictly speaking all "Motown" (In The Midnight Hour, for one, was released by Atlantic, and I forget what label Culture Club was on).]

Yep. You are absolutely correct. He even did a little bit of "all day and all of the night" in there.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    And speaking of Genesis, did anyone mention Twilight Alehouse? That was, as I understand, a live favorite during the Nursery Cryme/Foxtrot era, but only was released as a single B-side (and if I remember correctly, said single didn't come out until after they'd actually stopped playing it).
    Yeah, they probably did "happy the man" at least a few times live too if I'm not mistaken. Not sure if anyone has mentioned "Twilight Alehouse" yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Someone mentioned Phish, I would guess there are dozens of songs (over 100 ?) they've written themselves that are not on official studio albums (Hood, Slave, all of the Gamehenge songs, etc.), not to mention dozens of regular live covers. I'm convinced that given an afternoon to work up a version, they could play literally anything.

I would say the same goes for Umphrey's McGee, and probably several other jam bands.
    I know the Grateful Dead performed "touch of grey" quite a bit live before they recorded it so I suppose that counts. That reminds me of Pink Floyd actually who recorded various versions of songs that would later turn into "Dogs" and one or two others from Animals. "Raving and Drooling" was an early version of one of them. I'm sure GG knows all the details.

[I'm assuming you're talking about the Turn It On Again medley from the Mama tour, which wasn't strictly speaking all "Motown" (In The Midnight Hour, for one, was released by Atlantic, and I forget what label Culture Club was on).]

Yep. You are absolutely correct. He even did a little bit of "all day and all of the night" in there.
    I forgot about that one, I remember there being a bit of Pinball Wizard and Karma Chameleon, too. It's been a long time since I've watched that particular video (or viewed any of the other videos I've seen where they do the Turn It On Again medley...thankfully, they dropped the medley by the time I got to see them in 2007)

I know the Grateful Dead performed "touch of grey" quite a bit live before they recorded it so I suppose that counts.
    Most of the In The Dark album was played regularly for 3-4 years before the album was released. As I recall, they actually took a couple stabs at making a new album circa 82-85, but they kept getting sidetracked by one thing or another.

But if you're going to bring up the Grateful Dead (and I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner), but they had basically a whole album's worth of songs that they played circa 1991-1995 that never got released. I'm thinking specifically of things like Days Between, Lazy River Road, Corrina, Long Way Home, Wave To The Wind, Eternity, and I think a few others. As usual, there were plenty of "new" cover tunes, typically played in mediocre bar band fashion, during this period, too, including versions of I Fought The Law (which one critic described as a quickie "get on, get off" encore number) and a medley of Baba O'Riley and Tomorrow Never Knows. I think a few of those turned up on some of the archival releases, so I don't know if any of these are considered "valid". Certainly, I've never heard of any studio recordings existing.

That reminds me of Pink Floyd actually who recorded various versions of songs that would later turn into "Dogs" and one or two others from Animals. "Raving and Drooling" was an early version of one of them. I'm sure GG knows all the details.
    Well of course I do! Dogs started life as a song called You Gotta Be Crazy, and Sheep was previously known as Raving And Drooling. Both had different lyrics and arrangements, but they're more or less recognizable as the embryonic versions of the two songs that were on Animals. One thing that always bugged me was that Raving And Drooling had this cool Rick Wright synthesizer solo, which got dropped from the arrangement by the time time morphed into Sheep. I always thought that was a mistake.

Another good example with Pink Floyd is The Mortality Sequence, which was part of the original version of Dark Side Of The Moon, as it was played live in 1972, before the album was recorded. It had this sort of funeral dirge organ thing (similar to the Celestial Voices section of A Saucerful Of Secrets) with a tape of a vicar reciting a eulogy, I believe. Eventually, they dropped that bit and replaced it with Great Gig In The Sky.

Another piece of the early version of Dark Side Of The Moon that didn't make it onto the album was the so called Travel Sequence, which was a guitar based jam which eventually got replaced by On The Run.

I was gonna mention the instrumental they played in early 1970 that was comprised of themes that were recorded for the Zabriskie Point soundtrack. But then I remembered the one major theme that appeared in the movie of course appeared on the soundtrack album, and the other bit that I remember was the one that eventually became known as Us And Them, so it doesn't really count. Besides, I know of only about two recordings of the piece, which seem to suggest it was only played for a month or two, at best, so I don't think it really counts as a "staple" of their live set.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    "Erk Ga" by Henry Cow
    Actually, a version was recorded on Tim Hodgkinson's solo album Each In Our Own Thoughts, which features him, Frith, Krause, Cutler, and Cooper, along with several other musicians. It was re-titled Hold To The Zero Burn, Imagine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Each_in_Our_Own_Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Actually, a version was recorded on Tim Hodgkinson's solo album Each In Our Own Thoughts, which features him, Frith, Krause, Cutler, and Cooper, along with several other musicians. It was re-titled Hold To The Zero Burn, Imagine.
    No Frith; the guitarist is Bill Gilonis.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    No Frith; the guitarist is Bill Gilonis.
    Shazbat! And I read those credits off the Wikipedia page too, and I still managed to make a stupid error! Oy!

Queen did 50s rock medleys of songs like "Jailhouse Rock," "Lucille" and "Tutti Fruity" from the mid seventies up until the end of their touring days. You can see some of these videos on YouTube and they're not bad, though I don't think Freddie was paying too much attention to the lyrics.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Journey "Dixie Highway"

Gentle Giant "Sweet Georgia Brown"
    The Prog Corner