Thread: A band called Forest

A band called Forest

heard song a glade somewhere today. has a charm about it. intrigued when read about creators a band called forest on the web. apparently there were 2 albums. is this song representative of those albums. what happened to these people. did they stay musicians.

If you are referring to the Psychedelic Folk band who recorded 2 albums for the Harvest label, Martin resurfaced in the 2000s with his son in a duo called The Story. I'm not sure if they are still a going concern.

I'm a huge fan of UK psych-folk from that era, but even with that in mind I always found the two "official" Forest albums somewhat dry and not very eotionally engaging. There was simply just *SO* much fabulous stuff coming out of that scene... The best Forest album I heard was actually a live bootleg from ca. 1970 (vinyl) which only had the band's name in the middle of some coloury dots or something on the cover. There was far more intensity in that performance than on their albums, of which Full Circle is still the best. They remind me a bit of Tir Na Nog, Dulcimer, Eclection or Dando Shaft there.

I still think they pale next to names like the Incredible String Band, Principal Edwards Magic Theatre, Comus, Tea & Symphony, Jan Dukes de Grey and Simon Finn, all of which delivered ace examples of more or less groundbreaking mergers of folk, pop sensibilities and the avant-garde.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Martin resurfaced in the 2000s with his son in a duo called The Story. I'm not sure if they are still a going concern.
    Two excellent albums and one split with Whysp. Sadly they are no more and their web page is down as well...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

have now listened to full circle and am very taken with it. now and then can hear decemberists in this old band.