Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Update on the Official Keith Emerson Tribute Concert DVD

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I'll be getting it. What I saw of the actual event was pretty amazing.

On a related note, I think it would be great if Bonilla -- or someone -- would organize an annual (or semi-regular) "Keith-Fest" just so folks can gather and play all that amazing music. I'd hate to see a DVD get released and then Keith's music and memory just fades into the sunset.
    A tour would be great, but I can't imagine it would be too extensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    I sometimes stop and think: "Did actually see this event?!"

But oh YES, I sure was privileged being there and what a night it was, thank you KEITH and all those who honored him
    Witnessing that must have been amazing. At least some of it seems to have come across on the DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    Witnessing that must have been amazing. At least some of it seems to have come across on the DVD.
    It sure was indeed. And what a coincidence it all really was because I was only planning a long weekend outing for Memorial day and thought, let's check out what concerts are going on in LA that weekend and Voila! Ticket was dirt cheap at about $53.00 for standing (my feet never hurt so bad after the show but it sure was worth the pain!) and had no hassle to buy online on the AXS website (thank God it was not Ticketmaster, this was a very modest fee).

When I entered the El Rey theater I immediately noticed the high tech cameras and asked the camera guy "is this for a DVD?" but he said "no, it's only for posterity."
    During the show, I did not notice any sound flaws or technical errors that would have required overdubbing or any correcting so I think the whole thing was a single shot. Unfortunately no program was sold but I did buy myself a grey t-shirt that had on the front a small silhouette logo of Keith jumping over his Hammond and the All-Star lineup was on the back. I had never had the chance to see Eddie Jobson Live until that night and also coincidentally had seen Jordan Rudess 3 weeks before playing with Dream Theater.

Can't wait, counting the weeks and days!

... I did buy myself a grey t-shirt that had on the front a small silhouette logo of Keith jumping over his Hammond and the All-Star lineup was on the back.
    keith-emerson-t-shirt.jpg

bump...it's March and not even a pre-sale date?

Any updates on this?

Believe and Pure are somewhat disappointing and lack cohesiveness but the latest "Men who climb Mountains" has a renewed and re-defined presence.
    I admire Nick Barrett's guitar playing and style but his voice seems monotonous at times and feels like it needs a much higher tone at times.

wrong thread bro
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Any update on release?

Have not heard of any updates. My only guess is legal issues.

Yes, it's tangled in legal issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Figures. Thank for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    What a bunch of shit, just release it and figure out the rest later

I think it must have to do with so many managements involved; as we can all remember, this was a multi-star studded affair and not everyone has the same good nature and is willing to compromise artists' compensation because the event was never announced or billed as a benefit or charity concert.

At least part of it can be seen on YouTube, I was one of the fortunate few to attend in person. But would love a memento like this.

I think it must have to do with so many managements involved; as we can all remember, this was a multi-star studded affair and not everyone has the same good nature and is willing to compromise artists' compensation because the event was never announced or billed as a benefit or charity concert.
    Could have something to do with that nonsense Robert Berry shared about how Emerson's estate didn't want him known as a rock star but as a composer or whatever. Maybe showing Emerson's work in any kind of rock context is BENEATH the memory of Emerson they want to cultivate.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by R_burke View Post
    What a bunch of shit, just release it and figure out the rest later
    Easy to say that when it's not your money or business. Here's an idea: offer to fund the release on your own and then you can release it and deal with the legalities at a later date.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Could have something to do with that nonsense Robert Berry shared about how Emerson's estate didn't want him known as a rock star but as a composer or whatever. Maybe showing Emerson's work in any kind of rock context is BENEATH the memory of Emerson they want to cultivate.
    That sounds like a very interesting theory...
    However, Carl Palmer released his own Emerson Tribute concert on DVD last year with guest Steve Hackett and those cheesy ballet dancers with a very "rockin'" soundtrack that had little to do with classical music. And even more, that Keith's keyboards were replaced with heavy guitar licks. So I wonder what the Emerson estate had to say about that one, nonsense indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Easy to say that when it's not your money or business. Here's an idea: offer to fund the release on your own and then you can release it and deal with the legalities at a later date.
    I'm guessing that if they can't reach agreement amongst themselves they aren't about to let someone else get involved. They could release it and put proceeds into a trust until the issues are resolved.

That sounds like a very interesting theory...
    However, Carl Palmer released his own Emerson Tribute concert on DVD last year with guest Steve Hackett and those cheesy ballet dancers with a very "rockin'" soundtrack that had little to do with classical music. And even more, that Keith's keyboards were replaced with heavy guitar licks. So I wonder what the Emerson estate had to say about that one, nonsense indeed.
    I don't think it has anything to do with the Emerson estate. What happens when you have guest musicians playing something like this, they are usually signed to a record company. And the record companies have lots and lots of money and lawyers who sit around thinking of ways they can justify their existence on payrolls, so they file paperwork to get a percentage of any royalties that the record company and their client is due. At least that's my idea of why it's being held up, but I'm just not versed enough in all that legal mumbo jumbo to be sure.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by R_burke View Post
    I'm guessing that if they can't reach agreement amongst themselves they aren't about to let someone else get involved. They could release it and put proceeds into a trust until the issues are resolved.
    My sarcasm was more to the point that it's easy to throw out a casual "they should do this so I can see this concert performance" when you have no financial/legal investment on the line. It's JUST a concert performance and not something that is worth people getting sued and possibly wrecking their lives just so they can get it out to the fans to watch.

They could put proceeds into a trust? Now you want more lawyers to have to set this all up and deal with this? How about this option: nothing gets released until everything is green-lighted for release

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    How about this option: nothing gets released until everything is green-lighted for release
    Yeah, but I so want to own something with that cover.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

In the meantime, save image and print it out to the size of a cd jewel case. Select various ELP or Emerson Band songs/performances and burn to cd. Insert printed image and BAM!!! you have a Emerson cd with that cover to hold you over until it's officially released..(that is one helluva cool cover)

Perhaps they should have done something simular to the Jon Lord tribute. I have one double CD with music celebrating Jon Lord, the rock-keyboardplayer and one CD with music celebrating Jon Lord the composer.

Yeah. I really feel for that guy who did the cover. He was so over-the-moon excited, and now over a year later no release.

Date: ‪January 16, 2020‬ (Thu) Place: Old World Village Festival Hall 7561 Center Ave, Huntington Beach, CA 92647 (~20 min from NAMM) Time: Doors open ‪7:00 pm‬/ screening ‪at 8:00 pm‬ Admission fee: $10 For Tickets: https://keithemersonfilm.brownpapertickets.com/

The much-awaited screening of the live footage of The ‪Official Keith Emerson‬ Tribute Concert that was held on May 28, 2016 - a little over two months after his death on March 11, 2016.

Highly regarded musicians - and true friends of ‪Keith Emerson‬ (1944-2016) of Emerson, Lake & Palmer, and his fans, friends, and family gathered on May 28, 2016, at ‪El Rey Theatre‬ in Los Angeles to pay tribute and shared the memories of their beloved friend, inspiration, loving father and partner. All musicians and production staff donated their time, money and talents to make this concert possible. This was a concert done by his friends and loved ones purely out of love. The result was “soul-shaking” - musically and emotionally. We undoubtedly felt Keith’s presence there.

Please join us for this very first showing of the incredible and emotional performances by the world’s top players who loved Keith and his music.

The admission fee covers the expenses of the screening, and for the production and distribution of the DVD. Any surplus will be donated to Dystonia Research Foundation.

Thanks to Brian Kehew, Marc Bonilla, Greg Hockman, and Old World Village for making this screening possible.

This is the only scheduled screening at this moment, so don’t miss it. Some of the musicians who performed at the concert will be present at the screening.