Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An CSNY thread

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Does anyone else have that Crosby compilation with the demos disk? It's so good.

I had Super Session too. Did nothing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I had Super Session too. Did nothing for me.
    Off topic, but Mike Bloomfield is great on it.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    ... "Super Session" (1968) w/Al Kooper and Mike Bloomfield.
    Forgot to mention that Bloomfield and Stills did not play together on the album:
    - Side one Bloomfield.
    - Side two Stills.

I read that because of some health issues, Bloomfield was unable to complete the recording sessions and Kooper contacted Stills.

Agree w/ Pb2015 too!
    Last edited by TCC; 03-12-2017 at 07:16 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Stephen Stills plays Hammond organ on Humble Pie.....Smokin'

Didn`t know Vic: thanks and WoW!!.

Here it is:
    Smokin`/ Roud Runners G Jam.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE1KYPePzog
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Does anyone else have that Crosby compilation with the demos disk? It's so good.
    Yeah, I've got the Crosby 3 disc set. Pretty much essential from start to finish. It has not only a lot of great early stuff, the demos, most of If I could Remember My Name, but I also grew to really like Croz' 90s material. I subsequently bought the two CPR discs based on the songs in the compilation. Those are worthy--too bad he got zero traction with that band. They were a lot better than 90s CSN!

^^^ BTW I think the Crosby set was so successful that they put one out for Nash as well, maybe Stills, too. Anyone got those?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Anyway, Heard a C & N song on Sirius XM today, "Love Work Out," from their 2nd album, from 1975, and thought it was very good, with some good guitar. I'm not sure I knew Crosby & Nash was a thing, but I have that big CSNY box set so I must have known at some point. How is this album overall?
    The album is Wind on the Water, and I highly recommend it. I see it as being closely related in sound and style to the following year's CSN, which I also love.

Wind on the Water basically killed an attempt to make a CSNY album in 1975. The four of them were working on an album, but Crosby and Nash abruptly left the session to work on their duo album, because they owed another album to ABC Dunhill Records and had a deadline. Stills & Young got pissed off, wiped the Crosby/Nash vocals off the tapes and released Long May You Run as the Stills-Young Band. I assume some of the intended CSNY songs also ended up on Wind on the Water.

So much musical chemistry between those guys, but they've never been able to make it work together for very long.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    The album is Wind on the Water, and I highly recommend it. I see it as being closely related in sound and style to the following year's CSN, which I also love.

Wind on the Water basically killed an attempt to make a CSNY album in 1975. The four of them were working on an album, but Crosby and Nash abruptly left the session to work on their duo album, because they owed another album to ABC Dunhill Records and had a deadline. Stills & Young got pissed off, wiped the Crosby/Nash vocals off the tapes and released Long May You Run as the Stills-Young Band. I assume some of the intended CSNY songs also ended up on Wind on the Water.

So much musical chemistry between those guys, but they've never been able to make it work together for very long.
    Exactly Profusion!.
    And I had forgotten the story behind these 2 good records, thanks!.
    Last edited by TCC; 03-14-2017 at 12:03 AM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Crosby's first solo is a nice start along with songs for beginners from nash.

CN albums to me are good but the best one is Wind on the water then a much forgotten one Whistling down the wire very similar in style then the live one

Regarding the CSN from 1977 it doesnt have a lot of loud heavy songs besides one or two Stills contributions and most are not typical sing along get happy tunes but are dark and questioning their future together type songs "who gets to be the boss of this bunch who will steer...Cold Rain ..in my dreams Dark Star ..Shadow Captain Winchester Cathedral see the changes Ieven have a soft spot for Just a song before I go.....After that was Daylight again... to me it was over by then ....and even that album only has a couple solid tunes ...even bringing Neil back in the late 8o's didnt do anything for sales or the magic

Thanks for the info. Always liked the organ work on tracks like Hot'n'Nasty f.e.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by ZEPPELIN4EVER View Post
    Regarding the CSN from 1977 it doesnt have a lot of loud heavy songs besides one or two Stills contributions and most are not typical sing along get happy tunes but are dark and questioning their future together type songs
    Good way of describing it. I couldn't put my finger on what it was I found a bit disappointing about this album. Again, good songs, beautiful, impeccable harmonies, but missing the rock element that I love so much about those first two albums. I'm not one to pay a lot of attention to lyrics, so to me the thing that's missing more than anything is the Hammond. It was the mid/late 70s. Organs were starting to sound dated. It's got this slickness to it that bothers me a little. But overall it's a fine album.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Thanks for the info. Always liked the organ work on tracks like Hot'n'Nasty f.e.
    Found out that Stills, as a guest on this record, only played hammond on "Road Runner/Road Runner's 'G' Jam" and his backing vocals were over–dubbed on "Hot 'n' Nasty".

- Road Runner:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnpQjABjbOw
    - Hot`n Nasty:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvwcnsydkks

Humble Pie is a band that I have to explore, I confess it !!.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Suite Judy Blue Eyes... very proggy folk. Best song they ever did.
    Great tune. The other 2 I love as much are Country Girl (not country at all) and Wooden Ships. And Deja Vu is kinda cool. Always enjoyed the track 'Wind On The Water' too.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Mike Bloomfield is great on it.
    Yep, as is Harvey Brooks.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I like the Crosby, Stills & Nash album, the first two Crosby-Nash ones and partly Deja-Vu.

But the one I keep coming back to is If I Could Only Remember My Name. I can still discover new spontaneous detail in there, and the layers of emotional charge and message are staggering.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

4 way street, one of my alltime favorite 2LP live records. I always had a favor for the electric Sides
    3& 4.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

^Only thing that annoys me with that album is that even the expanded CD didn't bother to include the full 'Suite Judy Blue Eyes'. It's a bit of a weird start to the album, 30 seconds or something of a song.

Anyone heard 1974? It's got some nice versions of Young solo material with C,S,& N backing but the rest of it is a mess! I got it because I was at one of the concerts used in the set. My 16 yr. old self thought it was great. My 58 year old self, not so much! 4 Way Street is the way to go for live stuff!

^No, but that 1974 tour was infamous for its excesses!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^Only thing that annoys me with that album is that even the expanded CD didn't bother to include the full 'Suite Judy Blue Eyes'. It's a bit of a weird start to the album, 30 seconds or something of a song.
    I've always thought so, too. I sort of assumed that's the way they actually played it at that concert, because there's no way in hell the record company would have chosen *that* song to edit.

^It's definitely not the way they played it. Some have suggested it's because another live version was on Woodstock....no reason that should have been maintained for the CD.