Thread: TULL: Nightcap vs. Chateau d'Herouville?

TULL: Nightcap vs. Chateau d'Herouville?

I just listened to this on Youtube and it's GREAT! WOW! While I like Passion Play I think I would have preferred this album instead!

Now it appears this is only available on vinyl? I can't find any listings for it on CD. And how is this different from "Nightcap"? It appears some of the same songs are on Nightcap but I really like the tracking order on Cd'H. Reading the comments under the video, some people are saying that the sound on Nightcap is bad. I want this album!!!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

It is part of the recent Steven Wilson-remixed box set of A Passion Play in the ongoing series.

And it's available separately through iTunes if you don't mind burning your own.

BTW so is Nightcap, and I don't hear anything wrong with the sound.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 03-08-2017 at 07:54 AM.

IIRC, on the Nightcap version, Ian added some overdubs of flute. The Wilson version on the deluxe APP set has removed the overdubs. I prefer the Wilson version myself.

I miss the flute overdubs myself, especially on "Law of the Bungle Part 2", but its great either way. I do like how SW did remove the excessive reverb though on the newer version. Some really fantastic and creative writing.

Nightcap left out "Sailor" (I guess Ian didn't like the song for whatever reason). Some earlier attempts to construct the "lost" album had it from a bootleg source before it came out officially on the Wilson remix.

For me , the Wilson version is as close as I can get to the realistic , practical, and honest interpretation of the music. Interpretation may be the wrong word as I'm thinking of whose version was the overall best and you know how that goes? Leave this bit out and replace it with another or let's leave every effort intact and focus on a good mix... at least that's honest. Ian Anderson may have heard something that disagreed with his balance that he had in mind. For example, Nightcap has reverb and overdubs. Steve Wilson with the aid of Ian Anderson produced a coherent version. Instruments without the reverb can produce a "in your face " effect and it's sort of like the band is playing in your living room on carpet , which is notorious for producing lack of treble or bass, where upon musicians play with their EQ until finding a balance. Steve Wilson creates a impressive blend and captures the magic of the album. He also did a fine mix on the vocals. He's playful with raising the volume and giving the album a more natural affect when listened to it in its entirety . He's not just playing with buttons and knobs like a misguided egotistical know it all degenerate type of person. I think he's sincere and works his butt off. Many Prog epics that he remixed over the years are now ,( to a degree), representative of how the album was honestly intended to sound before it was released in '69 or 70's. This is usually accomplished by having one of the founding members of the Prog band sit with Wilson and make suggestions. I trust him more than anyone to remix the Vangelis catalog.

To clarify, the "problems with sound" comments on Youtube are referring to tracks from disc 2 of Nightcap which apparently are other outtake songs from later in their career, 80's and up to early 90's I believe, i.e. complaining about typical 80's drum machine sounds and production.

So to get this I need to get the Wilson 2-CD/2-DVD version? Because I see a Wilson APP being sold for $10, that's gotta be just a single disc remix of the original APP without all these "bonus" tracks?
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

"Nightcap" was mastered for crap, was saturated in horrible amounts of reverb (to sound up to date Ian said) and is missing about 20 minutes of music IIRC. Ian of course added a bunch of flute overdubs (almost twenty years later) to replace unrecorded vocal sections. I only miss those overdubs on two tracks. It's also arranged in wrong order, so as to present the newest tracks first, with the 11-minutes featured on "20 Years of Jethro Tull" stuck at the rear of the disc.

Just get the "Passion/Chateau" Box Set SW Mix for $30 on Amazon and you will have the greatest reissue of any release ever.

https://www.amazon.com/Passion-Play-...s=tull+passion