Thread: New Fleet Foxes album: Crack-Up

New Fleet Foxes album: Crack-Up

After 6 years, the Fleet Foxes are finally coming out with a new album. For those unfamiliar with the group, I'd say they are sort of a reverb-drenched modern-day Simon and Garfunkel with some added artistic flourishes. Here are some of the details of the new work:

http://pitchfork.com/news/62408-flee...w-song-listen/

And a 9 minute track (or pair of tracks):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GqgNebPm50

Personally they are one of my favorite modern bands, so I'm quite excited about the news. It looks like they will also be touring, although not a lot of dates have been announced. So far there are only two concerts scheduled in the western U.S. Maybe a trip to Colorado or California is in order!
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

About time! Love their first album. And I like some of the 2nd, but hoping the new one is more like the debut.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    About time! Love their first album. And I like some of the 2nd, but hoping the new one is more like the debut.
    Glancing at my song ratings on iTunes, it seems my very favorite songs of theirs are on their first album, but I find the second one even more consistent. Overall I think both albums are superb. As for the new album, Pecknold says it will have enough elements of the first two albums to show that it's the same group but feels he's progressed as well. After such a long hiatus I'm sure we're in for something different.
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Banned
    The main board? I guess PE doesn't represent what it did.

Sitting crossed legs on the floor, 25 or 6 to 4

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I normally don't complain about what's on the main board but yeah, I have to agree with you, people need to be more careful on where they post things. It turns the moderators into hall monitors and they shouldn't be put in that position

Huh? This isn't a Katy Perry post. Well, I certainly didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I thought this at least as much interest to those with "progressive ears" as knowing that Yes covered "Heat of the Moment" recently. And if "Modern Proggy Indie Recs Please..." is on the main board (which I'm certainly fine with), then I think this fits the bill. The new song they've posted is a 9 minute piece that makes some interesting turns. From their last album I would call "The Shrine / An Argument" "proggier" than what a lot of modern prog bands are releasing:

.*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    Huh? This isn't a Katy Perry post. Well, I certainly didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I thought this at least as much interest to those with "progressive ears" as knowing that Yes covered "Heat of the Moment" recently. And if "Modern Proggy Indie Recs Please..." is on the main board (which I'm certainly fine with), then I think this fits the bill. The new song they've posted is a 9 minute piece that makes some interesting turns. From their last album I would call "The Shrine / An Argument" "proggier" than what a lot of modern prog bands are releasing:

You've correct, a precedent has been established. I think some members think that their posts won't get as much notice unless its on the main board.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    What's not to love about their first album? It's got a Pieter Bruegel print on the front cover.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

I liked their 1st EP Sun Giant; but the music they released after that, I concluded they were kind of a 1-trick pony.

And a band who I really do love, Local Natives, frequently got compared to them, which I found and still find baffling and nauseating.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    I liked their 1st EP Sun Giant; but the music they released after that, I concluded they were kind of a 1-trick pony.

And a band who I really do love, Local Natives, frequently got compared to them, which I found and still find baffling and nauseating.
    Local Natives, who I also love, sound absolutely nothing like Fleet Foxes. Well, they are both good with melody, but then so are both Tony Banks and Miles Davis, who also sound nothing alike.

On Sun Giant, I really like 'English Houses'. The thing I liked about their 2nd album, were the longer proggier tracks. Some of the shorter tracks I didn't relate to. On the first album, I related to all of it somehow.