Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2017 NCAA Men's Basketball

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    SO you were picking from the women's tourney?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    You may take it all yet, Steve. The Zags were killer tonight. Great foul strategy at the end.
    It is down to me and one other person who has North Carolina going all the way. If NC looses tonight or in the title game I win either way. If NC wins it all I loose.

GO ZAGS!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Yeah, but not to get all Geometrical on you, Carolina's length and depth is going to be very hard to beat.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 04-02-2017 at 12:11 PM.

It's getting real crazy here in town already - they're closing down our parking lot on the north side of campus at 4:00pm = letting us go home early today.

JK

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Yeah, but not to get all Geometrical on you, Carolina's length and depth is going to be very hard to beat.
    Carolina has a gaping hole at point guard that they won't be able to disguise against Gonzaga. They haven't been shooting well from the perimeter. Frankly they could easily have lost any of their last 3 games. Not only does Gonzaga match up pretty well against what UNC does, they're probably just the better team overall.

It kind of sucks for me because I stand to win a pool if UNC wins the game. If I didn't have this conflict, I'd have hammered the Gonzaga money line Saturday night just after the win vs. Oregon, when it was +110. Not as much value right now at even, but I do think that Gonzaga has the edge in the game. I wouldn't even be surprised if they win comfortably. Of course, if UNC wakes up from behind the arc and has a really good shooting night, they'll likely win. I have a hard time envisioning a game in which UNC shoots better than Gonzaga, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Carolina has a gaping hole at point guard that they won't be able to disguise against Gonzaga. They haven't been shooting well from the perimeter. Frankly they could easily have lost any of their last 3 games. Not only does Gonzaga match up pretty well against what UNC does, they're probably just the better team overall.

It kind of sucks for me because I stand to win a pool if UNC wins the game. If I didn't have this conflict, I'd have hammered the Gonzaga money line Saturday night just after the win vs. Oregon, when it was +110. Not as much value right now at even, but I do think that Gonzaga has the edge in the game. I wouldn't even be surprised if they win comfortably. Of course, if UNC wakes up from behind the arc and has a really good shooting night, they'll likely win. I have a hard time envisioning a game in which UNC shoots better than Gonzaga, however.
    I really liked Gonzaga's on-ball defense, particularly the guards at the point of attack...until the Final Four game. I think Gonzaga does have a chance, but if I was betting, my money would be on Carolina. Great length, and the guys who come off the bench are as good as the starters. If I had to predict, I'd say a close game with Carolina winning by less than 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post

It kind of sucks for me because I stand to win a pool if UNC wins the game. .
    Opposite for me. If the Zags win I win the pool, they loose and I win nothing (it only pays down two places).

Let the have-not have for a change.

C'mon, throw the game, Roy!

"My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I too will root for the Zags!

Damn.......I led my bracket from day one, but ended up in 3rd just out of the money. Oh well, closest I have come in quite a few years.

That was another excellent game of basketball.

Although a close game, I did not find it very well played nor very dramatic.

If Karnowski would have made some of those chippys and Collins would have stayed out of foul trouble it may have been a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Although a close game, I did not find it very well played nor very dramatic.

If Karnowski would have made some of those chippys and Collins would have stayed out of foul trouble it may have been a different story.
    I agree with you, Bob. Seemed to me that the Tarheels didn't play any better than the Zags and only sometimes capitalized on Gonzaga mistakes but just enough to win.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Watching Hurricanes vs. Seminoles hoops. Hell of a game.

Hell of a loss

My Buckeyes are good this year, surprisingly so, and I still can't get interested until March.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    My Buckeyes are good this year, surprisingly so, and I still can't get interested until March.
    Ohio State are for real for sure. I think the big 10 is going to make a big run in the tourney this year. There is a lot of parity.

Cincinnati is representing!! Xavier at #4, and UC at #5. First time they have both been in the top 5 together.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Cincinnati is representing!! Xavier at #4, and UC at #5. First time they have both been in the top 5 together.
    That is pretty cool.

For my viewing, it's pretty bleak - I follow the three Iowa state unis and the WI Badgers, one or sometimes all of which have made tournament noise in years past. This year, not so much.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I ain't starting a 2019 NCAA Men's Basketball thread. Just wanted to ask if people here were watching the Syracuse/Duke game tonight? I went to SU, and in fact had a friend whose family was friends with Jim Boeheim. And of course coach Boeheim has been a fixture of SU basketball since forever. So, if you've read about the very sad recent news regarding Boeheim (and of course more sad for the family more greatly affected), the game tonight will have some emotional content you don't usually get in a basketball game. Should be sort of interesting. Also, hopefully the Orangemen will crush the Blue Devils!

Here's a link to the news story, for those who didn't know - I only found out yesterday. A real tragedy.:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...trian-with-car
    Last edited by JKL2000; 02-23-2019 at 01:54 PM.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Clearly I'd bet on the tar heels.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Clearly I'd bet on the tar heels.
    Maybe, since they're #1, but SU beat them in their last encounter. I'm sure both teams are worthy, it will be interesting to see who wins.

I just spent a few minutes explaining to my son (9) why college basketball is better than pro basketball, but it didn't seem like he got it. IMO of course!

I guess SU is way down there, now that I look at the rankings. But still, should be some interesting dynamics tonight. But I guess if I was going to place a big bet it'd be on Duke.