Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seems like The Eagles aren't done after all

Seems like The Eagles aren't done after all

http://www.pollstar.com/news_article.aspx?ID=829771

*** Multiple sources have confirmed to Pollstar that twin festivals are being planned on both coasts this July featuring Eagles and Fleetwood Mac. But who will take the place of Glenn Frey? We don't know but we have a (pretty big) idea.

The festivals with working titles Classic East and Classic West are expected to be held at Dodgers Stadium and Citi Field in Los Angeles and New York. The passing of Frey put a holster on the future of Eagles, with Don Henley correctly saying that the spirit of the band was synonymous with its co-founder who died last January because of multiple physical ailments.
    However, the surviving members, including the under-celebrated guitarist / songwriter Steuart Smith, can still put on a heck of a show, as can the Mac with or without Christine McVie. The only question is how to handle Frey’s absence. There was a recent suggestion that a reunion of sorts would be possible if Frey's son Deacon joined in. However, at least one source told Pollstar weeks ago that it will possibly not be a relative nor an old friend like Jackson Browne but, rather, an “established country artist.” Beyond that, it’s speculation although we are strongly leaning toward a person who performed in honor of the Eagles at the Kennedy Center in December. There, Vince Gill played alongside Ringo Starr, Bob Seger, Steve Vai and Kings Of Leon, with Gill performing "Peaceful, Easy Feeling." He also recorded “I Can’t Tell You Why” for an Eagles tribute album and his comparisons to the Eagles run deep as the singer for the Pure Prairie League.
    Two months after the Kennedy Center performance, Gill was inducted into the Guitar Center Rock Walk by Joe Walsh. ***

Maybe they'll tour every couple of years with a different singer /guitarist each time. Something like what Queen has been doing.
    Calling an Eagles / Queen tour in 2019. Maybe late 2018.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    LOL ronmac. Well played!

I think Vince Gill would be an obvious choice. He still sings well, and he is one heckuva guitarist. I'd love to see him and Joe Walsh tearing it up. He obviously knows the material fairly well.
    They could probably get his wife as a backup singer "for a song". ;^{D}

Vince Gill is a natural for this. And yeah, he and Joe Walsh playing together would be pretty cool.

Wonder if any tickets for under $1,000 will be available for these?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Billy Ray Cyrus

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Billy Ray Cyrus
    I'm going to assume that was a joke.

Pick your redneck Country or Rock star and insert here.
    Might as well throw Kid Rock out there.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    It may prove a burdensome task for Henley, what with Frey gone, to take on the role of one-headed monster (instead of two-headed). Maybe they could bring back Felder...
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    It may prove a burdensome task for Henley, what with Frey gone, to take on the role of one-headed monster (instead of two-headed). Maybe they could bring back Felder...
    Which is why some here have mentioned Vince Gill. I don't think Vince plays keyboards, though, so perhaps they could hire either a keyboard player, or another drummer, or both. They can certainly afford it with the prices they charge for tickets.

Gill makes sense to me - he's got some guitar chops and he's covered some Eagles songs before. I'm a long way from either coast and there's dozens of shows I'd see before this if I traveled that far but this sure would sell some tickets.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubal
    They could probably get his wife as a backup singer "for a song".
    Who is Gill married to?
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Amy Grant
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    The Eagles keep coming back....much like a gas startion burrito...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    The Eagles keep coming back....much like a gas startion burrito...
    And like that gas station burrito, the profit margin is going to be HUGE

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    And like that gas station burrito, the profit margin is going to be HUGE
    Very true...

Back in 1975, I was a freshman at UMASS in Amherst, Massachusetts. I saw the Eagles at the Springfield Civic Center in Springfield, MA. It was a general admission show with Dan Fogelberg as the opening act. The show was sold out and was my first concert experience. By time the Eagles played their encores, I had made my way through the crowd...to the edge of the stage. As the band played "Best of My Love" and Tequila Sunrise", I was leaning on the stage (in the center) with no security people even bothered by it one bit. This was a memory for a lifetime.

Oh...BTW...I saved the best for last. Tickets cost $6.50...yes sir...$6.50. That won't even buy a beer or a hot dog these days. So I ask...Whatever happened to Saturday night???

Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    Back in 1975, I was a freshman at UMASS in Amherst, Massachusetts. I saw the Eagles at the Springfield Civic Center in Springfield, MA. It was a general admission show with Dan Fogelberg as the opening act. The show was sold out and was my first concert experience. By time the Eagles played their encores, I had made my way through the crowd...to the edge of the stage. As the band played "Best of My Love" and Tequila Sunrise", I was leaning on the stage (in the center) with no security people even bothered by it one bit. This was a memory for a lifetime.

Oh...BTW...I saved the best for last. Tickets cost $6.50...yes sir...$6.50. That won't even buy a beer or a hot dog these days. So I ask...Whatever happened to Saturday night???
    Thank you...just one of many stories that defined the 70s as the best decade for music.

When you see the lineups that played on the same bills at places like the Capitol Theater in Passaic it is simply mind boggling. Not to mention albums released each year in the early 70s. A classic a week, or so it seemed.

Vince Gill- talented decent guy, don't know why he'd want to deal with the douche still living in the Eagles though.

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    Thank you...just one of many stories that defined the 70s as the best decade for music.

When you see the lineups that played on the same bills at places like the Capitol Theater in Passaic it is simply mind boggling. Not to mention albums released each year in the early 70s. A classic a week, or so it seemed.

Vince Gill- talented decent guy, don't know why he'd want to deal with the douche still living in the Eagles though.
    I'm assuming you mean Henley.
    The incentive for Vince would be major mullah, which would mean he would be able to replace some of the 50 or so guitars he lost in the major Nashville flood two years ago.
    Vince is a major guitar addict, and he lost quite a few very valuable guitars at one of the cartage storage centers.
    This would probably be a dream gig for Vince, as I'm sure he'd love to trade licks with Joe Walsh.

Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    So... in today's dollars that would be $30 - a good example of a band that charges a lot more after becoming famous.

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    The 60s were better.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    The 60s were better.
    I was going to write the same thing.

The 20s weren't bad, either.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The 60s were better.
    80s was awesome!

Didn't one of them die recently??

The 60s were better.
    Yup, 'cause there were no Eagles on the radio

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I was going to write the same thing.

The 20s weren't bad, either.
    How can you tell when they haven't started yet, and won't be over in another 13 years
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

anybody is replaceable.
    but i guess Jackson Browne would be an obvious choice
    because of his connection to Frey & Eagles.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    anybody is replaceable.
    but i guess Jackson Browne would be an obvious choice
    because of his connection to Frey & Eagles.
    I think Gill's voice is a better fit for the place in the Eagles' trademark harmony.