Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The most disappointing comeback albums

Light Ages by Wigwam. A bunch of old tunes rerecorded with shrill, digital early 90s production plus a handful of extremely bland new songs. One of the worst albums I own.

One that comes to mind is Cathedral -The Bridge. Very weak, especially when compared with what came before.

The Who - Endless Wire.

Dixie Dregs - Full Circle

I dunno about 'most' disappointing but here's a few not mentioned yet:

Guns 'N Roses - Chinese Democracy
    Jane's Addiction - Strays

I haven't heard it, but how does the Eagles' 'Long Run Out Of Eden' compare to their '70s stuff?
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    How are people feeling about Fly From Here 6 years on? Have to admit I don't even remember the last time I played it- must be 3/4 years ago. At the time I thought it was OK but was disappointed to find out how many decades-old songs had been used.
    HO.
    I still think it is great and much better than the most recent one.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    I dunno about 'most' disappointing but here's a few not mentioned yet:

Jane's Addiction - Strays

I haven't heard it, but how does the Eagles' 'Long Run Out Of Eden' compare to their '70s stuff?
    "Long Road" definitely has it's moments. I think it is a good double album that could have been whittled down to a great single album. If you are an Eagles fan it is worth owning IMO.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Is Boston -- Third Stage any good? I think I've heard a song or two but don't remember

Styx must have had a disappointing comeback album, right? Or two.

I bought Supertramp's Brother Where You Bound when it came out and on one listen it sounded bad to me. But I've since heard people say they really like it. I bought it because Gilmour was on it, but I can't even remember what his solo was like, assuming there was one.

I didn't make it through one full listen of In the Hot Seat. That song Daddy was just so bad. I barely had interest after hearing that.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 03-03-2017 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    Light Ages by Wigwam. A bunch of old tunes rerecorded with shrill, digital early 90s production plus a handful of extremely bland new songs.
    I agree. A terrible effort from that which was once among the greatest of all Nordic rock groups. And it's particularly grating when considering how Tasavallan and Haikara actually DID deliver decent reunion albums.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    In the Hot Seat. That song Daddy was just so bad.
    This one is simply so supremely horrible that it's probably actually one of the most fascinating albums by anyone. Ever.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    I feel the music on Chinese Democracy is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I never did hear Psycho Circus by Kiss, but I remember the gaggle of songs they played when I saw them on that tour didn't impress me much. I do remember even before it came out, people who had heard advance promo copies were saying you could tell Ace Frehley and Peter Criss hadn't played on most of it.
    I know one prog/pop drummer who auditioned for Gene & Paul to get the session work for the Psycho Circus tracks.

The album may not be as much of a let down as far as a KISS album goes. Standout tracks:

-Psycho Circus
    -Within
    -Raise Your Glasses
    -Journey of 1,000 Years

"Within" and "Journey of 1000 Years" are very good songs by Gene.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    This one is simply so supremely horrible that it's probably actually one of the most fascinating albums by anyone. Ever.
    I actually like 'Hand Of Truth', 'One By One' and 'Man In A Long Black Coat' (the latter two being all that was left of Emerson's original vision for the album...a suite based around the latter Dylan cover). Those have a few traces of the old magic. But the rest is really bad. When I played through the ELP stuff I have again last year I found I couldn't get through this one all the way through.

I've mentioned it before but I've always been greatly amused by the fact that the word 'compromise' appears in the lyrics of, what, 3 or 4 different songs. I think they were trying to tell us something!

I bought Supertramp's Brother Where You Bound when it came out and on one listen it sounded bad to me. But I've since heard people say they really like it. I bought it because Gilmour was on it, but I can't even remember what his solo was like, assuming there was one.
    I'm not sure this is a 'comeback' as it had only been 3 years since the previous one (about the same time as Famous Last Words was from Breakfast In America). I'd say more relaunch given that it was the first without Roger Hodgson.

What is maddening is that if you combined the best songs from Brother... and the best songs from Hodgson's solo album of that time, In The Eye Of The Storm, you'd have a really great album. Gilmour is indeed on the title suite of Brother..., the instrumental finish of that is quite spectacular for an 80s record by a more 'mainstream' act. The production and synth sounds are not aging so well though IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I actually like 'Hand Of Truth', 'One By One' and 'Man In A Long Black Coat' (the latter two being all that was left of Emerson's original vision for the album...a suite based around the latter Dylan cover). Those have a few traces of the old magic. But the rest is really bad. When I played through the ELP stuff I have again last year I found I couldn't get through this one all the way through.

I've mentioned it before but I've always been greatly amused by the fact that the word 'compromise' appears in the lyrics of, what, 3 or 4 different songs. I think they were trying to tell us something!

I'm not sure this is a 'comeback' as it had only been 3 years since the previous one (about the same time as Famous Last Words was from Breakfast In America). I'd say more relaunch given that it was the first without Roger Hodgson.

What is maddening is that if you combined the best songs from Brother... and the best songs from Hodgson's solo album of that time, In The Eye Of The Storm, you'd have a really great album. Gilmour is indeed on the title suite of Brother..., the instrumental finish of that is quite spectacular for an 80s record by a more 'mainstream' act. The production and synth sounds are not aging so well though IMHO.
    It's a compromise between shit and crap.

^It's really noticeable that Lake keeps singing that word on so many songs! As for 'Daddy', I hate the arrangement, pretty much the same plodding two chord pattern all the way through. The lyric is harrowing (if not exactly typically ELP) and I think Lake was very sincere with that, it deserved better music.

The rest of that album is almost completely forgettable.

The song Daddy is Rock music at its finest.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    It think you can view Brother as a comeback - with a significant departure of Hodgson. I think it's a strong release and returns to their art rock period.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 03-03-2017 at 01:54 PM.

Not one I have ever heard but I remember that Stooges one from around 10 years ago, The Weirdness, getting slaughtered in the press.

Is Boston -- Third Stage any good? I think I've heard a song or two but don't remember

Styx must have had a disappointing comeback album, right? Or two.

I didn't make it through one full listen of In the Hot Seat. That song Daddy was just so bad. I barely had interest after hearing that.
    I think "3rd Stage" is quite good, in fact I would rate it as my 2nd favorite Boston album.

Regarding Styx you could probably consider "Brave New World" from 99 a comeback album since it was the return of Tommy Shaw to the band. The album was not very good. The current lineup's album "Cyclorama" from 2004 (which was the first album of new music in 15 years) was a solid effort. In fact I think it ranks up with some of the band's classics and was sadly overlooked.

I also really liked "Brother Where You Bound". In fact I like it as well if not better than some of the Hodgson era albums. The next album "Free As A Bird" is where the train went off the rails.

"In The Hot Seat" was horrible, but they had already done "Black Moon" before it, so not sure that I would classify "ITHS" as the comeback album.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I think "3rd Stage" is quite good, in fact I would rate it as my 2nd favorite Boston album.
    The current lineup's album "Cyclorama" from 2004 (which was the first album of new music in 15 years) was a solid effort. In fact I think it ranks up with some of the band's classics and was sadly overlooked.
    Cyclorama is a fine album!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    -snip-
    My issue, like a lot of folks, is "Fake Ace" and "Pretend Peter": Singer and Thayer should have had their own makeup designs, just like Carr and Viincent......thats where my KISS "comeback" issue lay, not the music: I thought "Psycho Circus" was OK and it gets occasional play

I feel the music on Chinese Democracy is very good.
    Agreed, I have never understood why this album gets slagged as much as it does. It may not be "Appetite For Destruction", but it is a solid effort.

^Another one I never heard but with Chinese Democracy, the long delay meant that disappointment was inevitable.

Cyclorama is a fine album!

Mk[/video]
    That song is one of several very blatent jabs at Dennis Deyoung on the album:

Here we go again
    Hands making circles
    That you can't turn back again
    Sky turning purple
    At the funeral of a friend
    Who wasn't ready for the ending yet

He made a giant mess
    Sloppy disaster
    And he left it for the rest
    To clean up after
    Now the lawyers do their best
    To try to divvy up
    What's ever left

In the ending you can bet
    Everyone feels cheated

Kiss your ass good-bye
    Boy you're out of time
    You didn't choose life
    It's just your luck
    You got your turn now
    Give it up and
    Kiss your ass good-bye

What's left to say
    When it's over everyone but you remains
    Little children will
    Still go out and play
    Just like it's any other sunny day
    Oh yeah

Everyone's an equal

Kiss your ass good-bye
    Dude you're past your prime
    First you loose your looks
    Then you loose your luck
    Take the hit now
    Pony up and
    Kiss your ass good-bye

Everybody gets to go around one time
    (And they said it wouldn't last)
    After that baby gonna go bye-bye
    (Before you know it you're the past)
    Everybody got to check out sometime
    You go first
    I'll catch up right behind

Everyone's a loser

Kiss your ass good-bye
    Man it's closing time
    It never seems fair
    It's never enough
    Take a bow, pucker up and
    Kiss your ass good-bye
    (Nothing left to say, now that it's over you can)
    Kiss your ass good-bye Good-bye

Styx- Craporama!
    sorry, but Styx fell flat on their face with Cyclorama, so bad they didn't do another album.
    Tommy's songs were soso, Jy's song was an old leftover track, Glen Burnik is great but his songs not in the same ballpark for Styx,
    as for Gowan's 2 songs, also flat- i would have expected better from him.

Supertramp BWYB was a great album, they went downhill with '87's Free as A Bird.

as for Queen/Paul Rodgers, i don't consider that a comeback album at all because they were a new band.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    My issue, like a lot of folks, is "Fake Ace" and "Pretend Peter": Singer and Thayer should have had their own makeup designs, just like Carr and Viincent......thats where my KISS "comeback" issue lay, not the music: I thought "Psycho Circus" was OK and it gets occasional play
    When I listen to KISS music I can't hear the makeup