Thread: Early Kraftwerk - What's the best version to get?

Early Kraftwerk - What's the best version to get?

I know that the first two Kraftwerk albums have never been officially re-released since they came out on vinyl in the early 70s. So my question is which of the unofficial versions is the best one to get? I see they were out on Germanofon & Crown. Is one better than the other? Are there other versions? Is the 2CD version (both in one) better to get? Do you think they will ever be officially re-released?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobg56 View Post
    I know that the first two Kraftwerk albums have never been officially re-released since they came out on vinyl in the early 70s.
    First THREE!

Ralf & Florian never came out on CD or any kind of reissue since its original release in the early 70s!

Do you think they will ever be officially re-released?
    No. Not likely at this point. It isn't because of lack of interest. It's because the band are actively blocking a reissue.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    First THREE!

Ralf & Florian never came out on CD or any kind of reissue since its original release in the early 70s!

No. Not likely at this point. It isn't because of lack of interest. It's because the band are actively blocking a reissue.
    Internet rumour!

from
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...troit-20150826

Q:
    What's the story with the reissues of the first three Kraftwerk albums, before Autobahn? When will they be released?
    A:
    They are from another early phase of our work [before] Kling Klang Studios. Maybe when we have time one day, we'll release those, but so far we haven't found the time. We've been doing so much, concentrating on Kraftwerk since Autobahn. That's when we really started with electronic symphonies. We're concentrating on our work now and for the future, so we haven't found the time to really look to the past.

from
    http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...album-for-2010

"Hutter says he also plans to upgrade the three Kraftwerk albums that preceded "Autobahn," though he won't predict a timetable for those. "When I find the time and go through the archives again, we'll do those also in a new format," he promises. "But my perspective now is forward for the next album."

So, one post from 2015 and one from 2010. I'm willing to wage money on a continued 'no' from them (easier to say "We haven't gotten around to it because are are concentrating on looking forward, NOT on looking back, but I guess we will someday" instead of "That shit embarrasses us no end and makes us look like we were hippies. Fuck no!")

Isn't this sort reminiscent of those "Genesis won't say 'no' to a reformation" articles / posts that seem to show up on PE every 9 months?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

P.S.

best / funniest line if you know anything about them and their working methods and schedule:

Quote Originally Posted by olivetti View Post
    "We've been doing so much, concentrating on Kraftwerk since Autobahn. "
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Yeah, like Steve has said, I thought it was fairly well known they didn't want these out. None of the CD issues are official.

Funny how 'too busy looking forward' is a line only heard from those not known for prolifigacy. See also Gabriel, P.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Funny how 'too busy looking forward' is a line only heard from those not known for prolificy. See also Gabriel, P.
    spot on.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

A great shame, this...Ralf & Florian has always been my favorite.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

So which of the unofficial releases are the best ones to get? Any have better quality than the other?

Bob

I'd wager whatever ones you can find...

The first two albums were reissued by Vertigo in the UK in 1973
    https://www.discogs.com/Kraftwerk-Kr...elease/8266882

Also, Ralf & Florian was reissued in 1975 after the success of Autobahn
    https://www.discogs.com/Kraftwerk-Ra...release/117914

Otherwise on CD, it's all pirates... the Germanofon seem to be the most readily available.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I'd wager whatever ones you can find...

The first two albums were reissued by Vertigo in the UK in 1973
    https://www.discogs.com/Kraftwerk-Kr...elease/8266882

Also, Ralf & Florian was reissued in 1975 after the success of Autobahn
    https://www.discogs.com/Kraftwerk-Ra...release/117914
    I was gonna say, the copyright date on my copy of Ralf & Florian is a year later than the one on my Autobahn. I'm glad I'm not the only who felt compelled to nitpick.

BTW, funny bringing up Peter Gabriel, because I remember it being said that the reason he didn't want to do the 2007 Genesis reunion was because he was "busy working on a solo album". Then when said solo album comes out, it turns out to be a covers record!!! Really?! You couldn't do a Genesis reunion because you ewre busy fretting over a covers record?! Dude, just say you don't want to do it because you know you'll look stupid wearing the costumes, and get it over with! Oy!

Those first three albums are the only ones I own nowadays , but in bootleg form... and they're the only ones I actually like, along with Radio-Activity

I mean, I did buy a couple of vinyls (Autobahn for sure in those days), but I didn't hang on to them
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

If CDs are your only option, then the Germanofon pirate issues of the first three will do the trick.

For vinyls, they are decent reissues on Vertigo UK, though with a different cover.

These are the best Kraftwerk albums for me.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

I mean, I did buy a couple of vinyls (Autobahn for sure in those days), but I didn't hang on to them
    I still have my 45 of "Autobahn"!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

My Germanophon "Ralf & Florian" CD sounds good enough, with only a few tick and pops. Still, I'd love to see official releases someday...

So which of the unofficial releases are the best ones to get?
    Since they're all bootlegs anyway, I recommend the Euroton Biem-Artisjus Hungarian issues of Kraftwerk 1 and Kraftwerk 2. They're needle-drops, but REALLY GOOD needles drops -- and between the two of them, they also include all of Organisation - "Tone Float" as bonus tracks.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 03-03-2017 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Since they're all bootlegs anyway, I recommend the Euroton Biem-Artisjus Hungarian issues of Kraftwerk 1 and Kraftwerk 2. They're needle-drops, but REALLY GOOD needles drops -- and between the two of them, they also include all of Organisation - "Tone Float" as bonus tracks.
    What about the Beat Club performance by the Schneider/Dinger/Rother lineup? My copy of Tone Float has that as a bonus track?