Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John Scofield

John Scofield

Just curious. How would you rate John Scofield as a guitarist. 0-10, 10 being the best. What do you like or dislike about him as a guitarist.

His solos are melodic, not weedly-weedly like so many other "guitar gods" these days.

However, he does tend toward a certain bland sameness in most of his song choices. Just once I'd like to see him attempt something really challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

His solos are melodic, not weedly-weedly like so many other "guitar gods" these days.

However, he does tend toward a certain bland sameness in most of his song choices. Just once I'd like to see him attempt something really challenging.
    Are you familiar with his 70s and 80s work, in bands with Charles Mingus, Miles Davis, Paul Bley, Miroslav Vitous? His Shinola and Out Like a Light albums from a 1981 show in Germany? I would agree with you in the sense of what his sound has become over the last 20-25 years, but don't think it applies to his earlier work.

Probably 7.5. I can't say I have an encyclopedic knowledge of his work, but I have a few albums that I like .
    Latter middle period ( I suppose ) Loud Jazz, A GoGo, I can see your house from here.
    The last time I saw him play I was not too impressed. A Trio with Steve Swallow, and Bill Stewart.
    Jam band jazz, which I understand is more his thing now a days
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Really? He's a great writer and improviser, and he's worked with many of the greatest musicians in modern jazz. He has an instantly recognizeable sound as a guitarist and a writer. I think of him as the Monk of jazz guitar. And he has consistently cranked out high quality material for almost 40 years. The only stuff he's done that I'm not crazy about are the tribute albums, and I would bet money that those projects were the record company's idea and not his choice. He's my number one guy for jazz guitar, as I don't really care for the straight sounding stuff unless it's Pat Martino.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    The last time I saw him play I was not too impressed. A Trio with Steve Swallow, and Bill Stewart.
    Swallow and Stewart are two of the greatest players working today. There's a great show up on YouTube featuring this trio from around 2004 at the Blue Note club. And they made a live CD entitled En Route.

I started the thread and I love him. I'm not a guitar player so I can't get overly technical but to me he has a great feel for the instrument. Plays melodically and while he's not as dynamic as far as speed like a Dimeola who I also love, I actually think Scofield plays with better emotion and feel. I think that he does some very technically difficult things without being overly flashy. I like the variety on his albums. I like the Uberjam material which is different. I also like a lot of his straight jazz work with Joe Lavano and other big jazz names. I also think that his jazzed up renditions of country songs are superb. I've seen him live recently and even at age 68 or so I think he's terrific. I'd give him a 9 out of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Swallow and Stewart are two of the greatest players working today. There's a great show up on YouTube featuring this trio from around 2004 at the Blue Note club. And they made a live CD entitled En Route.
    That's where I've seen him recently at the Blue Note. Terrific shows.

Really? He's a great writer and improviser, and he's worked with many of the greatest musicians in modern jazz. He has an instantly recognizeable sound as a guitarist and a writer. I think of him as the Monk of jazz guitar. And he has consistently cranked out high quality material for almost 40 years. The only stuff he's done that I'm not crazy about are the tribute albums, and I would bet money that those projects were the record company's idea and not his choice. He's my number one guy for jazz guitar, as I don't really care for the straight sounding stuff unless it's Pat Martino.
    What would you rate him out of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedian View Post
    I also like a lot of his straight jazz work with Joe Lavano and other big jazz names.
    If I had to go with just one album I'd pick Time On My Hands, the first record with Joe Lovano. I bought a copy back in 1990, and I felt like it was an instant classic. Fantastic material and melodies, and just a great sounding band with Jack DeJohnette, and the late great Charlie Haden.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedian View Post
    What would you rate him out of 10.
    Honestly, I'm not interested in giving numbers ratings to musicians. And it makes no sense to compare Scofield to someone like Di Meola. Al is great at what he does, but he's not a jazz player and improviser like Scofield.

If I had to go with just one album I'd pick Time On My Hands, the first record with Joe Lovano. I bought a copy back in 1990, and I felt like it was an instant classic. Fantastic material and melodies, and just a great sounding band with Jack DeJohnette, and the late great Charlie Haden.
    Very good album. I've also seen Joe Lovano live at the Blue Note at least twice. Excellent.

Swallow and Stewart are two of the greatest players working today. .
    Yeah, I get that. I was expecting , I don't know, something different.
    That just was not on the set list that night.
    I will see Swallow with Carla Bley next month. Really looking forward to it.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Love Sco!.

Have to agree with Reid too! (Posts #5 & #11)

Some favorites of the house in no particular order:
    - Still Warm, Time on my Hands, Loud Jazz, Past Present, ScoLoHoFo - Oh! , Out Louder + Juice, Hand Jive, Piety Street, Uberjam, Bump, A Go Go, Saudades and Country for Old Men = so many different music styles but only one great guitar player and writer/composer.

And I`m still "hunting" his music; so many good records out there IMO!.

My 3 cents!.

n.p.:
    bump.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awGlieJnN_8
    Last edited by TCC; 03-01-2017 at 02:37 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

I don't really care for his tone. I don't mind the idea of fuzzy or distorted guitars in jazz but I just don't like the way his guitar sounds. I prefer Holdsworth or even Di Meola.

Yep - me too - absolutely love that track Fat Lip - its one of the most played tunes in my collection.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-wtZhpxtVE

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Are you familiar with his 70s and 80s work, in bands with Charles Mingus, Miles Davis, Paul Bley, Miroslav Vitous? His Shinola and Out Like a Light albums from a 1981 show in Germany?
    Yes I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid
    I think of him as the Monk of jazz guitar.
    Wow. I don't think he has shown even 1% of the radical innovation of a titan like Monk. He's a good guitar player -- even sometimes great -- but Monk? Really? Does this sound like Monk to you?
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 02-28-2017 at 10:50 PM.

My first exposure to Sco was 1984's Electric Outlet so I prefer this period (Still Warm, Blue Matter, Loud Jazz, Pick Hits Live, Flat Out) but enjoy a lot his other stuff like Bass Desires and collaborations with people like Pat Metheny.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    ... but enjoy a lot his other stuff like Bass Desires and collaborations with people like Pat Metheny.
    Dave,
    "I Can See your House from Here" is great!, agree!.
    And I`m looking for more material of "Bass Desires": love Frisell too ... maybe a little bit more! :-)

n.p.:
    Scofield / Abercrombie - Solar (1984) ***
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNSTeqD_kOY
    Last edited by TCC; 02-28-2017 at 11:32 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

TCC,

Sco has a pretty extensive collaborative discography that I haven't even begun to explore!

http://www.johnscofield.com/discography/

Thanks for the link to the Solar album, great stuff. John Abercrombie is another prolific guitarist worth delving into. This is probably not a very popular Abercrombie tune, but I like it a lot.

Last edited by Dave; 03-01-2017 at 12:13 AM.

Yes I am.
    Wow. I don't think he has shown even 1% of the radical innovation of a titan like Monk. He's a good guitar player -- even sometimes great -- but Monk? Really? Does this sound like Monk to you?
    I don't know why you would pick that tune? And I never said he sounded like Monk. But he's a unique player and composer.

I'd go for the 8.73 too, possibly 8.74

He has been so many great places, fusion (with Cobham), Miles Davies, Funk (Blue Matter with Dennis Chambers & Gary Grainger), and all kinds of jazz & blues, medesky & martin & wood, trio with Larry Goldings & jack DeJohnette...
    But my favorite is probably his early trio with Swallow & Nussbaum. Les Paul and no chorus and a pretty raw approach to jazz Swallow has the meanest bass sound !
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ettx1DZ8so8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycp4mGpm3JE

I will not numerically "score" him but I'll just say his playing, tone and writing does nothing for me and I have seen him several times and have several albums that he is on. Agree that his earlier work is more adventurous and appealing to me but overall, I could care less as there are plenty of other guitarists that enthrall me.
    G.A.S -aholic

I don't know why you would pick that tune? And I never said he sounded like Monk. But he's a unique player and composer.
    I picked it as an example of the pedestrian song choices (and pedestrian playing) that have kept Sco from being a really top shelf artist, like Monk, for me.

I picked it as an example of the pedestrian song choices (and pedestrian playing) that have kept Sco from being a really top shelf artist, like Monk, for me.
    The second link I posted above is a Monk 'song' - In Walked Bud.