Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Marillion live album-Hogarth era?

Best Marillion live album-Hogarth era?

Bought 'Marbles in the Park' CD today but yet to spin it. It's the first live album I've bought from the Hogarth era. What's your fave from this era? I'm also guessing there's been a few unofficial live releases as well that have only been made available through their website but I could be wrong?

Banned
    My fav is Sounds Live (2012)
    Last edited by Svetonio; 02-28-2017 at 11:38 AM.

My God....so many to choose from.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

God, yeah, with the band's resolve to make as much live stuff available as we're willing to consume, I wouldn't even know where to begin. That said, I have no idea what releases over the past 20 years are official live albums, versus Front Row Club releases, tour downloads, etc.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I'm also guessing there's been a few unofficial live releases as well that have only been made available through their website but I could be wrong?
    There's the whole Front Row Club series, which is similar to King Crimson's Collekctor's Club series. Originally by subscription only, then they made them available as downloads. Over 40 releases, and there are a ton of other live releases as downloads, CDs, DVDs. Look in their shop - they are entire tours for download (show by show that is, not as packages).

Anyway, one I particularly like was released on CD as "Mirrors" and on DVD as Bootleg Butlins. It is the Sunday night from their 2005 Marillion Weekend at Butlins in Bristol. Looks like the CD is no longer available but the DVD is, and Mirrors is available as a download. It was a night of all "mellower" Marillion songs. I was there and it was one of my favorite Marillion shows ever. Here's the setlist:

Born to Run
    A Collection
    Now She'll Never Know
    The Space
    Brave
    Faith
    One Fine Day
    House
    Enlightened
    Estonia
    After Me
    When I Meet God
    A Few Words for the Dead
    Made Again

Here are links to the download and DVD:

http://www.marillion.com/shop/downloads/mirrors.htm
    http://www.marillion.com/shop/dvd/butlins.htm

Size Matters

The eons are closing
    Anorak Live in the UK 2CD (yeah I know not the right title)

Nice upbeat set.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Made Again for me. The whole of "Brave" and a nice collection of their 90's material plus a few classics.

Somewhere In London. Absolutely fantastic performance and a great setlist. I bought the DVD when it came out and I loved it so much, I bought the mp3 version from the Racket club so I could listen to it while out walking or at work! It's since been reissued as a 2-CD/DVD set. Highly recommended.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

bootleg collection volume 2 was available quite cheaply a few years back not sure if it is OOP now but it was really my intro to this era of the band 4 shows from seasons end through brave tours. from there it is easy to get addicted so watch your wallet...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    bootleg collection volume 2 was available quite cheaply a few years back not sure if it is OOP now but it was really my intro to this era of the band 4 shows from seasons end through brave tours. from there it is easy to get addicted so watch your wallet...
    I had TOTALLY forgotten that this second box was released - have to find it in my collection! Mostly boxed up so hard to access. Thanks for reminding me. Racket still has it in stock but it says low stock.

The fact that everyone has a different recommendation shows you just how many great live albums they've put out. There was a show done in the late 90s to early 00s that had an acoustic first set and an electric second set. I can't remember the release, but that one was instrumental in pulling me into the H era after being primarily a Fish-era fan.

I really think it's based on your favorite albums. I love Marbles so the Marbles on the Road and Marbles by the Sea releases are two of my favorites (full disclosure--I was at the shows recorded for those albums), but you can't go wrong. They're mostly a great live band.

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    I really think it's based on your favorite albums. .
    It does appear so!

If you only want one h-era live album then I'd recommend the 2CD Marillion.Best.Live set which includes many of the band's live favourites.
    It's not a single show recording though - the tracks are (presumably) taken from various other releases from between 2003 and 2011 (not sure which ones - maybe someone out there could clarify?). Track list is:

Disc 1
    1. The Invisible Man
    2. You're Gone
    3. King
    4. Hotel Hobbies
    5. Warm Wet Circles
    6. That Time Of The Night (The Short Straw)
    7. Essence
    8. The Release
    9. Three Minute Boy
    10. This Strange Engine

Disc 2
    1. Neverland
    2. Asylum Satellite #1
    3. This Train Is My Life
    4. Out Of This World
    5. Somewhere Else
    6. Real Tears For Sale
    7. Beautiful
    8. Fantastic Place
    9. Hard As Love
    10. Man Of A Thousand Faces
    Last edited by r2daft2; 03-01-2017 at 06:42 AM.

Am I the only one who loves Made Again?
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Made Again is a great live album.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Nope. Great track list on that one.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

This is probably my most listened to, if not favorite.

https://www.discogs.com/Marillion-Fr...elease/1642702

I love their "Toxic" cover.

Cosign on Best Live. Top notch performances of a definitive choice of songs.

I like the Marbles by the Sea discs. Invisible Man is a great opening and Ocean Cloud worked pretty well as a stunning encore.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    This is probably my most listened to, if not favorite.

https://www.discogs.com/Marillion-Fr...elease/1642702
    Some interesting covers on that one. Going over to YouTube right now, want to hear their version of Hocus Pocus!

Out of Season is very good...3 cd's

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    If you only want one h-era live album then I'd recommend the 2CD Marillion.Best.Live set which includes many of the band's live favourites.
    It's not a single show recording though - the tracks are (presumably) taken from various other releases from between 2003 and 2011 (not sure which ones - maybe someone out there could clarify?). Track list is:

Disc 1
    1. The Invisible Man
    2. You're Gone
    3. King
    4. Hotel Hobbies
    5. Warm Wet Circles
    6. That Time Of The Night (The Short Straw)
    7. Essence
    8. The Release
    9. Three Minute Boy
    10. This Strange Engine

Disc 2
    1. Neverland
    2. Asylum Satellite #1
    3. This Train Is My Life
    4. Out Of This World
    5. Somewhere Else
    6. Real Tears For Sale
    7. Beautiful
    8. Fantastic Place
    9. Hard As Love
    10. Man Of A Thousand Faces
    Agree, "Best Live" is a really nice collection of great performances.