Thread: If you knew guitars but had not yet owned an electric...

If you knew guitars but had not yet owned an electric...

I've played acoustic guitar for over 30 years. I'm not exactly above mediocre, but I would like to finally try my hand on an electric. My son has a Fender amp, and a Epiphone LP Goth guitar that I don't care for the tone. I want to keep the cost under 300, very willing to go used.

The model I've had my eye on is the Sterling By Music Man AX3. They carry these at Guitar Center, but only with the locking nut. I want Strat/LP tones, and I have no desire to use a tremolo much. I want to play primarily Blues Rock, Classic Rock, and Country Rock.

I prefer this over the Squier Standard Strat, because of the feel of the neck, and the tone flexibility.

Ive noticed some OLP models that are very similar to these. Any opinions?

Avoid locking nut guitars, they're a pain in the ass!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

If you like the AX3 because of the neck feel, then you might prefer a flatter fingerboard radius. I do too, though I get on OK with my 57 Strat reissue. Neck width, nut width, and contour could also be an issue for you. The AX3 looks like a nice guitar, but I'm not sure it's perfect for all the things you want. I might look at this one instead:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

It has the same fingerboard radius of 12", and will probably feel very similar to the AX3. But I think for the music you'll be making, the single coils with the notch positions will be really enjoyable for you. This one has a humbucker in the bridge, so it will rock too. This guitar seems a steal to me at $200. So if you like the Music man design, then this is a pretty nice place to start (you may even be able to find one used cheaper, but at $200, that may not be worth it - just get the new one which will have a warranty if something is messed up).

Also, don't give up on that trem! I was a hardtail guy until I got my Strat, now I've dumped all my hard tails and have only trem guitars. Fuuuuuuun!

Happy hunting!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Avoid locking nut guitars, they're a pain in the ass!
    I got to play one of the AX3s that did not have the locking nut, and it was great. Unfortunately, Guitar Center only carries the locking nut models. I guess I'll have to go to one of the cheaper local stores closer to Atlanta.

Are you near Maple Street Guitars in Buckhead? They are super nice there. They carry a lot of high end stuff, but always have entry-level and quality used stuff as well. Even if you just go to check some things out, they might have some good information for you. I bought my first Alvarez acoustic from them back in 1978 or so, and I usually visit the shop when I'm in Atlanta. Nice folks.

Bill