Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cruise to the Edge 2018 (Feb 3-8)

Cruise to the Edge 2018 (Feb 3-8)

There's not really been any official notification as such but the "tease" poster on the CTTE website advertises a 5-night cruise out of Tampa on RC's Brilliance of the Seas (again) and visiting Belize and Costa Maya.

The initial bands listed are:

Marillion
    Saga
    Gong
    Martin Barre
    Lifesigns
    Moon Safari
    Thank You Scientist
    and Late Night Live

Lots of others to be announced in due course.

Oddly - no mention of Yes! Can you have a CTTE without Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    There's not really been any official notification as such but the "tease" poster on the CTTE website advertises a 5-night cruise out of Tampa on RC's Brilliance of the Seas (again) and visiting Belize and Costa Maya.

The initial bands listed are:

Marillion
    Saga
    Gong
    Martin Barre
    Lifesigns
    Moon Safari
    Thank You Scientist
    and Late Night Live

Lots of others to be announced in due course.

Oddly - no mention of Yes! Can you have a CTTE without Yes?
    They've already indicated Yes will be involved and have hinted at Portnoy/Morse involvement as well. And, Yes members said they would be back while on the boat.

I'd need some new blood to go again. I really like the experience, but as it is only one year (instead of 15-18 months) apart and it is hardly cheap, I don't think I will be able to do it without some sort of serious surprise. Hopefully, something will come up, but I'm not sure what that would be at this point. My roommate is even more on the no side of the fence than I am, but I simply can't justify it unless something I can't see elsewhere, and haven't seen before, is added.

I had an amazing time last month at CTTE 2017. The 2018 lineup does not have me very excited yet, but this is likely only about a third of the final list. I'm waiting patiently, but will likely want to go.

So, how much does this cost? No link? I'm thinking I would love to do this.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    So, how much does this cost? No link? I'm thinking I would love to do this.
    Google Cruise to the Edge. You can probably see the 2017 pricing, no 2018 pricing yet I assume.

2018 Booking is not available yet. Starts in about 30 days for previous 2017 cruisers.

The 2017 pricing is still visible:

http://cruisetotheedge.com/pricing/

Out of curiosity - are these cruises all music all of the time or is there ever a breather where you take in the local flavors of the ports?

And how about that Martin Barre, the guy seems to be all over the place lately, hell yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    Out of curiosity - are these cruises all music all of the time or is there ever a breather where you take in the local flavors of the ports?

And how about that Martin Barre, the guy seems to be all over the place lately, hell yeah!
    It's pretty much all music all the time. They even have multiple bands playing at the same time in different parts of the ship. Regular cruise people who are musicians and not in the bands on the boat play prog from 12 midnight to about 3 in the morning too. Problem on stops. This year Spocks Beard started at 2 so if you weren't back on the boat by then you would miss there set and Neal Morse started around 4 I think. If there's bad weather it creates more of a problem and your even more likely to miss something if you leave the boat for an extended period. That being said it's a lot of fun. You may have to stand some. it's not always easy to get a seat which is a problem. Still I've had a great time on the two trips I've gone on.

I definitely had to plan who I wanted to see each day and sometimes had to make hard choices between some favorite bands. On port day, bands started playing at noon, so if you wanted to go ashore you had to be willing to have a short excursion or miss some bands.

But, it was still one of the best experiences of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    I definitely had to plan who I wanted to see each day and sometimes had to make hard choices between some favorite bands. On port day, bands started playing at noon, so if you wanted to go ashore you had to be willing to have a short excursion or miss some bands.

But, it was still one of the best experiences of my life.
    They started at 2pm actually.

I really want to do Cruise To The Edge!!! Badly. Can't take time off work though...
    The Prog Corner

So, either you buy the big room, or you bunk up with 3 other people...? dont they do two people like normal cruises?

So, either you buy the big room, or you bunk up with 3 other people...? dont they do two people like normal cruises?
    Where did you get that? We've had two in our room every year and I'd say that is probably the predominant way people go.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post

There will be two ports of call next year. With one extra day and two port visits, I'd expect music no earlier than 2:00 either day and possibly later. That said, it isn't like being on a normal cruise. It is basically a floating music festival where you get to make your own itinerary and don't have to drive or walk to a hotel. We saw all or most of 27 shows this year (including the pre-cruise party) and 28 last year. Shows are a bit shorter to accommodate so many acts, but it is worth getting to see so many different groups. I don't think we can go next year, just due to money and the one-year turn, but it is definitely worth it.

Yes, you can do two people. Or one. Or three. I think they don't break the prices down very clearly there.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    They started at 2pm actually.
    I checked my schedule and you are right. After staying up so late all the time, 2 PM definitely felt like noon. Or earlier.

Gee, I hope Gong can get in the country to play. Check out this #$%^ :

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecor...-then-deported

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    Gee, I hope Gong can get in the country to play. Check out this #$%^ :

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecor...-then-deported
    That's sort of a different situation, but I do worry a bit still.

That's sort of a different situation, but I do worry a bit still.
    Technically the ship does not charge admission to the concerts.....just for the cruise. But the as for bands getting paid.....I don't know...

From what I understand, the extra day will bump the price up accordingly (by 25%!). I have already seen some people taken aback by that. Unless they can bring in a couple of more bands that I haven't seen (and want to see), I don't think I will go. They just added Glass Hammer and Anathema, which don't make me hopeful that there will be much difference from the other cruises (or from bands that play other festivals. I go to ROSFest every year, and the last cruise seemed to be about 2/3 of bands that either played or will play ROSFest in the last few years). I went on the first 2 Cruise to the Edges, but the lack of difference in bands were the main reason I skipped the last 2. Gong is certainly intriguing, and the last shows for Saga, but beyond that, nothing making me change my outlook (yet). A great deal of the people on the cruises seem to want the same bands every year, that is not enough to draw me in any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptrick View Post
    From what I understand, the extra day will bump the price up accordingly (by 25%!). I have already seen some people taken aback by that. Unless they can bring in a couple of more bands that I haven't seen (and want to see), I don't think I will go. They just added Glass Hammer and Anathema, which don't make me hopeful that there will be much difference from the other cruises (or from bands that play other festivals. I go to ROSFest every year, and the last cruise seemed to be about 2/3 of bands that either played or will play ROSFest in the last few years). I went on the first 2 Cruise to the Edges, but the lack of difference in bands were the main reason I skipped the last 2. Gong is certainly intriguing, and the last shows for Saga, but beyond that, nothing making me change my outlook (yet). A great deal of the people on the cruises seem to want the same bands every year, that is not enough to draw me in any more.
    Wow, i was on the first 2 CTTE as well and my sentiments exactly! and I go to RF every year as well. It better be something really special to spend that much money, though it was a total blast when we went.

I'm through with the Prog cruises -- two were enough. Even though I saw a lot of bands on both, I prefer to sit in one venue and see a bunch of bands that have been chosen for everyone to see. I like that more curated experience.

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    Technically the ship does not charge admission to the concerts.....just for the cruise. But the as for bands getting paid.....I don't know...
    For cruises, they are here as regular tourists since the playing is done in international waters. They don't need artist visas for cruises, which is one of the reasons you get bands you might not elsewhere in the U.S. at this point.

I'm through with the Prog cruises -- two were enough. Even though I saw a lot of bands on both, I prefer to sit in one venue and see a bunch of bands that have been chosen for everyone to see. I like that more curated experience.
    While we seem to have very different experiences on these trips, we are skipping this one unless something really big happens this week. We need to know there will be some bands we've not seen before and this thing about only announcing a bit of the list before expecting people to book is my first real complaint about the cruises. I expect there will be some cool bands we haven't seen added at some point so I'd still probably go, but my cabin mate is out at this point and I don't feel like this lineup is new enough to warrant talking him into it. I don't get bothered by some of the things that irritate so many people, but not knowing the majority of the lineup before asking for my money is something that I find to be really irritating. I'll still recommend it to anyone who asks as the bands listed are ones I enjoy and if you haven't been on a bunch of these, you may not have had the chance to see all of them. But, other than the current version of Gong, there isn't anyone on board so far that hasn't done one of the earlier ones. Our budgets don't allow for use to just do it no matter what.