Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peter Gabriel's First Solo Released 40 Years Ago This Week!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Remember the day well.. Got home and dropped the needle on the record and was thinking.. in some ways it's just an extension of where Genesis was in '75. Personally I've always found his second record to check all the boxes.. but it was a great first album for sure. Always wished that Hackett and Gabriel had done something together during this era.
    Sorry don't get that at all. Very different instrumental motif and more mature vocals.

Sitting crossed legs on the floor, 25 or 6 to 4

Down The Dolce Vita is one of my favourite tracks he ever did. Kind of a forgotten track these days...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Peter Gabriel's First Solo Released 40 Years Ago This Week!
    His second album will be out any day now...
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Down The Dolce Vita is one of my favourite tracks he ever did. Kind of a forgotten track these days...
    One where I played it and instantly cringed at that big arrangement on the intro- it's too much for me. The song itself isn't too bad.

I'd say most of the album is forgotten these days, actually. After the early 80s did he play anything from it other than 'Solsbury Hill' and 'Here Comes The Flood'? Those are the only two tracks which have appeared on his best ofs too. And 'Here Comes The Flood' never even appears in this version, it's always that later vocal/piano one. I think the original one works just as well, proof it's a great song I guess.

The second album has fared even more poorly in retrospect. But then I only find it half-good anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    One where I played (Down The Dolce Vita) and instantly cringed at that big arrangement on the intro- it's too much for me. The song itself isn't too bad.
    I agree

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The second album has fared even more poorly in retrospect. But then I only find it half-good anyway.
    Peter Gabriel 2 is my favorite of all his solo albums. Contains his best recording "White Shadow."

C'mon... No love for Moribund?
    Currently attempting to catch up on all of the chaos in the Market Square.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    I agree

Peter Gabriel 2 is my favorite of all his solo albums. Contains his best recording "White Shadow."
    I like 1, III, and IV the most but II has it's moments. My favourite track is Mother of Violence.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I like 1, III, and IV the most but II has it's moments. My favourite track is Mother of Violence.
    And, based on your user name, I would assume On the Air as well.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    And, based on your user name, I would assume On the Air as well.
    I definitely like the last line: I want everybody to know that Mozo is here!

Quote Originally Posted by Moribund View Post
    I mentioned it in passing and I love it- a big production number with lots going on, and great chord changes. It's kind of Gabriel's farewell to the sound he had within Genesis...'White Shadow' (at a push) is one of the only other songs on his solo albums which I could ever see on a Genesis album.

New Video Released Today of Solsbury Hill Live (DNA)
    From PeterGabriel.com: This montage of live performances includes
    footage from Rockpalast (1978), Live in Athens (1987),
    Secret World Live (1993), Growing Up Live (2003),
    New Blood Live (2011) and Back To Front (2013).
    https://youtu.be/WeYqJxlSv-Y

Kind of a fun memory-trip with that video. Worth a listen and a smile.

In the video, it's interesting to see how PG changed over the years. My wife's favorite
    version of PG is the Secret World Live one. He was in his 40's, mature, but was still
    hanging on to his boyish good looks. We saw him on that tour in Dallas. Tony Levin,
    on the other hand, does not seem to change with time. He's either a vampire or a Highlander!

Quote Originally Posted by Moribund View Post
    Love that song. I was on a school cricket tour in Cambridge in '77 and Solsbury Hill was on the Jukebox in the pub we sneaked off to. I kept putting on Moribund (the b-side) and it kept getting stuck, so the funny instrumental bit after 'I will find out' kept playing on and on and on. Eventually the landlord asked me to stop playing it!

the original version of Here Comes The Flood is my favorite PG song.

It's ALL about Humdrum. (I mean, I like the whole record, but Humdrum is really stunning.)

The album was a shock to me at the time, and I had to learn to listen past some of the production choices and, I suspect, a not exceptionally good pressing (original US pressing). But for sure a great bunch of songs and a decisive new beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    The only song I never liked - Excuse Me. The rest are gems.
    Really? I think it sounds like something that could have been on The Lamb---the humor etc

Here is a Rolling Stone article (with video links)
    listing 20 great Peter Gabriel deep cuts. Has numerous
    B-sides from through-out his solo career. Enjoy!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...-1980-20160630