Thread: Ayreon - The Source

Ayreon - The Source

Haven't seen too much mention of the forthcoming release (April '17) from Ayreon.

THE SOURCE is an exciting new chapter in the Ayreon saga, with contributions from renowned vocalists like James LaBrie (Dream Theater), Simone Simons (Epica), Floor Jansen (Nightwish), Hansi Kürsch (Blind Guardian), Tobias Sammet (Edguy, Avantasia), and Russell Allen (Symphony X ). The Source will be released on April 28 through Ayreon’s new label Mascot Label Group/Music Theories Recordings.

While Ayreon’s ‘Forever/Planet Y’ saga seemed to have reached its conclusion with the album 01011001, it’s clear that Arjen Lucassen’screative muses had other plans. The new Ayreon album The Source revisits the Forever saga, adding a whole new chapter to Lucassen’s impressive body of work. With its top-flight cast of singers and musicians, compelling songs, overwhelming sound, and intriguing story, The Source offers everything that has gained Lucassen dedicated fans worldwide since he laid the foundations of Ayreon back in the mid-90’s.

The story of The Source is set six billion years in the past relative to Earth. It begins on Planet Alpha, a world in the Andromeda system where computer intelligence has far surpassed that of humanity. Alpha is facing a massive global crisis, with ecological and political catastrophes threatening all human life. The Alphans (our human ancestors) try to save their planet by entrusting the global computer mainframe—The ‘Frame—to find a solution. Given total control of the planet, the ‘Frame reaches the logical conclusion that its creators are the cause of all the trouble. The only way to solve Alpha’s problems is to exterminate humanity. This leaves the Alphans no other option than to try and escape their horrific fate. But their escape comes at a terrible price. It’s the beginning of a story that contains everything that has made the Ayreon epics so endlessly fascinating all these years.

The international status of Ayreon enables Arjen Lucassen to write his characters with some of the most respected singers in rock in mind: James LaBrie (Dream Theater), Tommy Giles Rogers (Between the Buried And Me), Simone Simons (Epica), Mike Mills (Toehider), Floor Jansen (Nightwish), Hansi Kürsch (Blind Guardian), Michael Eriksen (Circus Maximus), Tobias Sammet (Edguy, Avantasia), Nils K. Rue(Pagan’s Mind), Zaher Zorgati (Myrath), Tommy Karevik (Kamelot), and Russell Allen (Symphony . Special contributions were offered by guitarists Paul Gilbert (Mr. Big), Guthrie Govan (The Aristocrats, Asia, Steven Wilson), Marcel Coenen and keyboard player Mark Kelly(Marillion).

Just as on his previous albums, The Source has Arjen Lucassen playing a wide variety of instruments, while the inimitable Ed Warby (o.a. Elegy, Gorefest, Hail Of Bullets) once again masterfully handles the drums.

2017 will be a particularly exciting year for Ayreon fans thanks to a unique chance to actually see Ayreon live. Limited to three exclusive performances, “The Ayreon Universe” will take place in September in the prestigious 013 venue in Tilburg, Holland. This unprecedented live event features the best of twenty years of Ayreon music, brought to life by a top cast of musicians such as Floor Jansen (Nightwish), Russell Allen (Symphony X ), Damian Wilson (Threshold), Hansi Kürsch (Blind Guardian), Tommy Karevik (Kamelot), Jonas Renkse (Katatonia), Anneke van Giersbergen, and various others. The reclusive Arjen Lucassen himself is also expected to make a rare appearance on stage. The tickets for all concerts – 9000 in total – sold out within a day, proving once again that the Ayreon magic is still very much alive and kicking.

Track List

CD1
    Chronicle 1: The ‘Frame
    01. The Day That The World Breaks Down
    02. Sea Of Machines
    03. Everybody Dies

Chronicle 2: The Aligning Of The Ten
    04. Star Of Sirrah
    05. All That Was
    06. Run! Apocalypse! Run!
    07. Condemned To Live

CD2
    Chronicle 3: The Transmigration
    08. Aquatic Race
    09. The Dream Dissolves
    10. Deathcry Of A Race
    11. Into The Ocean

Chronicle 4: The Rebirth
    12. Bay Of Dreams
    13. Planet Y Is Alive!
    14. The Source Will Flow
    15. Journey To Forever
    16. The Human Compulsion
    17. March Of The Machines

First video - and first song on the album - this epic features 11 of the guest vocalists.:

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Autobuy!

Preordered the gold vinyl. Woohoo !!

I'll give it a try before committing to buy. Last couple efforts of his were pretty dull. Only keeper since then was Guilt Machine. But I'll remain optimistic until proven otherwise.

I've been listening to a review copy for a couple of weeks now and it is a real return to form IMO. I think Ayreon fans will really like this one!

I interviewed Arjen on Monday about this album and he's pretty proud of it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm a huge fan of his earlier work (The Human Equation in particular), but The Theory of Everything left me cold. It seems like a long time since then, but now that I think of it I guess he does average around 4-5 years between albums.

Nice guest list, though, so I'll probably pick this up assuming the reviews are decent. Russell Allen? Floor Jansen? Hansi Kursch? Those are three of my favorite metal vocalists right there. Plus, I like Tobias Sammet, Simone Simons, and LaBrie (I thought that his work on The Human Equation was some of his best).

Quote Originally Posted by sergio View Post
    I'll give it a try before committing to buy. Last couple efforts of his were pretty dull. Only keeper since then was Guilt Machine. But I'll remain optimistic until proven otherwise.
    This has been my feeling. The last two Ayreon albums didn't do much for me, and the most recent was just not very good, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I've been listening to a review copy for a couple of weeks now and it is a real return to form IMO. I think Ayreon fans will really like this one!

I interviewed Arjen on Monday about this album and he's pretty proud of it.
    I really hope this is true, as I felt the last two were pretty "samey". I'll certainly give it a listen, as I don't really think any of the Ayreon albums are "bad", per say (though the lyrics on the last one were quite often cringe worthy IMO).

This is the second video from the album - (the first being in the OP). That epic first track (The Day That The World Breaks Down) definitely drew me in and I really enjoyed it the first time I listened to it. This one might need a few more listens to grab me:

That first video is amazing. Never been a huge Ayreon fan but this really piqued my interest!!!
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    now that I think of it I guess he does average around 4-5 years between albums.
    Between Ayreon albums, yes, but he's always doing other projects in between those which I always really like as well. I particularly liked the Guilt Machine and Gentle Storm albums. I'm really a fan of his whole catalogue, although I agree that The Theory Of Everything was the weak link (despite the huge guests on it). But like I said, this one is a great one!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This just seems a little unnecessary for anyone. I should try to order all 50! The best would be if nobody ordered one.

---------------
    OK Ayreonauts. This is a very special item, only for serious collectors.

Test pressings are made to check the sound quality of the album before the regular vinyl albums are pressed. Usually there are only a handful manufactured, but this time we pressed 50.

Each copy comes in a blank sleeve, with an Ayreon/The Source logo sticker. They will be hand-numbered and PERSONALIZED by Arjen. So, if you want your very own vinyl copy of The Source, this is your chance. We will use the first name in your order.

The rules:
    The price is € 79.99 plus shipping costs.
    This item is limited to 1 per customer.
    If you order more than 1, your order will be cancelled and refunded.
    The sale starts Monday, March 6 at 5:00PM CET sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Between Ayreon albums, yes, but he's always doing other projects in between those which I always really like as well. I particularly liked the Guilt Machine and Gentle Storm albums. I'm really a fan of his whole catalogue, although I agree that The Theory Of Everything was the weak link (despite the huge guests on it). But like I said, this one is a great one!
    Well, I hope you are right, but it sounds promising so far. Plus, for $20.00 including shipping, I just went ahead and pre-ordered

Another new song from this album, this time with a video made by a fan in his "make a video" contest:

On the cover of the new iO Pages

io-pages-142.jpg