Thread: Shriekback Live - Kickstarter

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Shriekback Live - Kickstarter

thanks for posting I threw in as well. hope they can get it going and make it to the states though I am not holding my breath.

I'm not holding my breath for that either. I'm not even sure they'll reach their funding goal, but I'd be happy with the live CD if they do.

They made it! For phase 1 (European shows after the few they've already scheduled in the U.K.)

They ain't prog! Somebody kick this over into OT!

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    They ain't prog! Somebody kick this over into OT!
    They're at least as Prog as XTC (and related), which in the top thread on this board right now!

Email from Shriekback:

Hi gang
    So we asked and, lo, it was given unto us and now we are going to Shepherds Bush (and Glasgow and Manchester)
    Amazing how that works, is it not?
    Tickets here:
    http://www.ticketweb.co.uk/event/IEH...w-wp-wk10-shbk
    on sale tomorrow.
    Just to say a craven thanks again and to further assure all those in the Rest of The World that we'll
    be down your way as soon as we can.

And, also, though it seems churlish to point it out, the Kickstarter campaign still has 8 days to go
    and further acts of reckless generosity are, let's face it, karmic bloody gravy for you, and, believe us,
    every extra penny will get used ('8 Piece Band. No Record Deal' keep saying that, if you begin to doubt us)
    There you go:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...?ref=user_menu

With our deepest compliments
    love
    Shriekback

I have seen quite a number of live artists/bands over the years and I'm here to say that I'd be hard pressed to name any who put on a show better than Shriekback. At the very least they'd be guaranteed to make my top five best ever concerts (Big Night Music tour, Coach House, San Juan Capistrano, CA).

As for prog or not, Shriekback are definitely not. But these days it wouldn't be inappropriate to lump them into an art rock category and prog is certainly in their DNA given Barry's involvement in League of Gentlemen with Fripp, not to mention his membership in an early XTC.

Quote Originally Posted by spotprog View Post
    I have seen quite a number of live artists/bands over the years and I'm here to say that I'd be hard pressed to name any who put on a show better than Shriekback. At the very least they'd be guaranteed to make my top five best ever concerts (Big Night Music tour, Coach House, San Juan Capistrano, CA).

As for prog or not, Shriekback are definitely not. But these days it wouldn't be inappropriate to lump them into an art rock category and prog is certainly in their DNA given Barry's involvement in League of Gentlemen with Fripp, not to mention his membership in an early XTC.
    And BTW, they've been reissuing earlier stuff as well as previously unreleased stuff pretty regularly, but without a lot of hullabaloo, via their mailing list and web store. If you haven't, but are interested, you might want to get on their mailing list. Most of the stuff goes OOP very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by spotprog View Post
    He also played on Fripp's Exposure album.

This made me LOL. From their latest update:

"sorry we're running late but there was, as we might have known, more to do than we thought. Who knew Rewarding people would be so complicated?"

So Shriekback have just started the next phase of their plan - a Kickstarter to fund a handful of US dates on the East and West coasts. However, I think they're prices are very out of line. I'm a huge Shriekback fan and would love to see them, but they're asking 50 pounds for a download from the tour, 100 pounds to be on the guest list for a show, and for a download, and then 500 pounds for two people on the guestlist, a download, and a t-shirt.

I'd pledge 100 pounds for one person on the guest list and a download, which is a lot really, but they don't yet know dates or venues. It sounds like they're doing an NYC show, but how many people are going to pledge for these things when they have almost no idea where the shows will be? All I can assume is there's an NYC, it's probably in a general admission venue, probably standing only. May well be in Brooklyn which is kind of a pain, might not go on until late. Too many variables. And they're trying to raise 66,000 pounds ($92,000)! This was announced this morning and they're at about $5,000.

They have a pretty good rapport with their fanbase, but I think their hardcore fanbase is too small and these prices are too high to make this work.

ya I clicked the kickstarter with excitement when it was emailed out but was fairly bewildered at their choices for rewards. they gotta add something small because 50 pounds for just a download is far too much for a regular person (even knowing that you are partially donating to the cause).

a slightly cheaper two person tier would also be appreciated for those of us who wanna bring a friend but don't need whatever makes up the extra 300 pounds(guess that is a 300 pound T-shirt would be terrified wearing it!).

they have made it to 10K now so maybe they know better than we what the fanbase will put up.

also there was this update in the comments:

"This is, at the moment, still very much in negotiation so please don't put huge expectations on anything yet. That said we are looking at NYC, Chicago, Philly, San Diego and LA"

which is bad for me hopefully SF is part of plans too.

It's really something to think that XTC has faded into nothingness while Barry Andrews is still alive and kicking. Nothing against XTC ( I love 'em dearly ) but I can only feel like Barry is having the last laugh.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    It's really something to think that XTC has faded into nothingness while Barry Andrews is still alive and kicking. Nothing against XTC ( I love 'em dearly ) but I can only feel like Barry is having the last laugh.
    Also, for those who don't know, Shriekback has released and reissued a lot of stuff over the last several years. Small runs, but most of them sell out.

Never listened to Shriekback, and hadn’t even heard of them until this crowdfunding campaign was announced. Is it safe to say that if one likes XTC, that Shriekback are worth a look as well?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Never listened to Shriekback, and hadn’t even heard of them until this crowdfunding campaign was announced. Is it safe to say that if one likes XTC, that Shriekback are worth a look as well?
    I was huge into Shriekback in the 80s and 90s. I'm not that familiar with XTCs catalog but with minimal familiarity, I would say Shriekback is quite different in sound.

But quite good and worth checking out.

Oil & Gold is my favorite album by them. I would love to see them live in the US!