Thread: FEATURED CD: Kada - Bucsuzas (Farewell)

FEATURED CD: Kada - Bucsuzas (Farewell)

In the "sinks like a stone" department, this release by the Hungarian band Kada from 2001 is among my favorites from the 21st century. If you're a fan of electric jazz and improv with an element of "hey these guys sound like a Hungarian Crimson" or a lost ECM supergroup, then spend some time trying to track down this release.

It's a sprawling 2-disc set with 1 album of studio recordings and 1 album of live recordings.

Review from ProgArchives
    Amazing discovery! Hungarian band that combine RIO, Jazz, Fusion, World Music and Eastern touches, with also some rock influences!!!!

This album is pretty much in the same line of their first one, which is probably the recommended to start with. This is a little more complex, but a tad more! They go here with 2 Saxes, which expand their sound quite a bit; but overall these guys appears to be playing together for a long time, I think! structured and improvisations are the order of the day in this release, and the greatest attribute is IMHO that you can not pinpoint any particular influence, in other word their sound is rather unique.

Cannot believe I missed this band for over 5 years!!!

The package is outstanding, it comes on a sore of digipack with a fold shiny carton and the CDs in the middle, this is as good package as progressive album it can be! - Prognut

And since that was the only clip I could find, here is a clip from Kada Ad Libitum, an improv group which is essentially what Kada morphed into.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I dig both clips.Definitely floats my canoe.I'll be researching available cds on Discogs.Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by walt; 02-18-2017 at 01:21 PM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I had their first album from '99, but while it appeared to fit somewhere amidst my rather fleeting bin of preferences just perfectly, it didn't really get me going. I remember thinking there was surprisingly little development and actual activity in those lengthy pieces, which were mostly based on quite simple themeheads opening pockets of ensemble improv and freeblowing. I always kept pondering in retrospect if I may have parted ways with it too early.

These clips here sound good, though.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I was sufficiently intrigued to grab one of the available copies on Discogs. Looks like it can also still be bought new if you can navigate Hungarian webshops.

meeee likey
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I can't tell you anything about the featured album but I have their debut and I think it's pretty amazing. I didn't even know about the other two studio albums so count me as being "on the hunt" for those.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I have all three of their releases...love this band! I actually picked this album up when the OP named this album as one of his favorites from the 2000s several years ago in a PE thread. Then I had to get the other two.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

I have both this album and the debut. Although I haven't listened to it in ages, I remember liking the debut and the studio-CD from the second; very adventurous music. But most of all I liked how the band created a total-art-concept, with beautiful cover-artwork

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I have both this album and the debut. Although I haven't listened to it in ages, I remember liking the debut and the studio-CD from the second; very adventurous music. But most of all I liked how the band created a total-art-concept, with beautiful cover-artwork
    The debut cover art is a painting by Dudas Gyula from 1981 called "Apple Tree's Dream".
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

^ Before selling off my copy of that debut, I remember reluctancy due to the artwork and layout. Having listened anew through the snippets in here and more from the debut on YT, I regret the riddance altogether.

There's only one possible way to come over that grief. I know what I have to do. There's just no turning back. I have to look it in the eye and hear GTR's "Reach Out, Never Say No" yet another time.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Looks like the KADA guitarist is producing or engineering on this band's "Ju Meets Moster" disc.

didn't know they had a 3rd album

I have this one and the first... they didn't grab me last time I listened to them (probably over 10 years ago)
    will dig em out for a fresh listen
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I definitely like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ Before selling off my copy of that debut, I remember reluctancy due to the artwork and layout. Having listened anew through the snippets in here and more from the debut on YT, I regret the riddance altogether.

There's only one possible way to come over that grief. I know what I have to do. There's just no turning back. I have to look it in the eye and hear GTR's "Reach Out, Never Say No" yet another time.
    Unique packaging for sure as this came straight out of Hungary. Those flaps to help hold the cd in plus that slot that I believe held pieces for something but I forget what as I think I lost them.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten