Thread: Keyboard Players... best beginner Keyboard?

Keyboard Players... best beginner Keyboard?

what's the best Keyboard for a beginner? Something with a good Piano sound as well as some Synthesizer sounds?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

forgot to mention that budget is sparse to nil
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Start with an actual piano. The keys have real action and one's finger muscles build up strength. I mean, if you really want to be a good player, I think that's the best way to start. Someone else can probably recommend an electric keyboard that has keys with weighted action, but they're still lightweight compared to an acoustic piano.
    I realize that that is probably the last thing you had in mind, but you might consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    forgot to mention that budget is sparse to nil
    Oh. Never mind.

Yamaha GX-1! No question about it!!

The piano was a little weak
    800px-Casio_vl_tone.jpg
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Well, if you really don’t have a budget:

• Cheap, MIDI-ready keyboard. You can probably find one of those Yamaha Portasound things at your local Goodwill for $20 or less. Make sure it has a MIDI port, though. Also: full-sized keys are a must. I was lucky and found a proper MIDI controller: an M-Audio 49e; but unless you’re a regular thrift-store junk sifter like me, you’re unlikely to be so lucky.
    • MIDI cable. Can be found for about $5 from your local music store.
    • MIDI USB hub. This will probably cost you more than your keyboard if you took my advice (M-Audio’s costs about $40). I believe it comes with its own USB cable, but you may have to spend and extra $5 on that if not. Music or electronics stores should do you for this.
    • VST software. This could cost you as well, but something like VSTHost is free to download and install.
    • VST plugins. There’s tons out there for free, including some nice pianos, synths and even Hammond-type drawbar organs and Mellotron emulations.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

thanks Mike... sounds like I have to hook this up to my computer, is that correct?

I had been looking at a Yamaha DGX230 at $250 that's about the budget

You can pick up a used Kurzweil SP-76 for about $400 . . . it's an excellent instrument with weighted action, some decent sounds (pianos, organ, strings, etc) - - -

Well, you can't get anything for nothing... For any serious practising you'll need a decent full sized (7 octave) piano-like keyboard, if possible with weighted keys. The cheapest option would be a second hand older generation home digital piano which can be used as a Midi-controller. Acoustic piano makers like Yamaha or Kawai usually use better quality keyboards in their digital pianos. Don't care about the sound as all digital pianos have a MIDI output port and can later be connected to your computer or any sound generating (hardware) device for better quality sounds (if needed). But you must carefully check for the response of each key: old electronic keyboards sometimes have worn-out rubber contact pressure pads which results in flimsy note triggering and uneven dynamics (some notes sounds louder than others,...), this can't be fixed without replacing the pads. (usually unavailable for models over 10 years old). There's a very low market value for older generation home digital pianos and you can usually get them very cheap, when not free. With some research you should find a decent one for less than 100$
    VST softwares and associated plugins are just like music: nobody pays for them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I had been looking at a Yamaha DGX230 at $250 that's about the budget
    I think you're in a bit of a nether-world in this price range. You can definitely get a synth like that Yamaha that will have a wide range or sounds. what you will not get is real, or at least approximate, weighted keys.

In that price range you could also look at a digital piano, like this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keybo...l-piano/j09858, or this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keybo...-digital-piano. These will have the advantage of weighted keys, but won't have the range of sounds.

And then there's something in the middle, like this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keybo...le-grand-piano. This will have an action perhaps closer to a piano, but not really, but a wider range of sounds.

I do agree with those who feel the piano action is important, but for a beginner I'm not sure it's critical that it be perfectly like a piano. It depends on what the person wants to do with music, how old they are, etc. If they really want a range of sounds, I guess I'd lean toward that middle-ground option where you get better keys than the Yamaha you identified but a wide range of sounds. However the other two boards are MIDI compatible, so if you got one with better keys, eventually you could expand and use that nice keyboard as a trigger for other sounds. So in the end, that may wind up being the best option.

So there are a lot of ways to go with it. But I guess at this price range, I'd prioritize keyboard action over sound range and get a nice keyboard, then look at upgrading sounds later. If sounds are what you're after, though, other options become preferable.

Bill

A second hand digital piano definitely - as for bang for the buck! For synth sounds you can hook up through MIDI to a computer or an external synth box.
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I think you're in a bit of a nether-world in this price range. You can definitely get a synth like that Yamaha that will have a wide range or sounds. what you will not get is real, or at least approximate, weighted keys.

In that price range you could also look at a digital piano, like this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keybo...l-piano/j09858, or this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keybo...-digital-piano. These will have the advantage of weighted keys, but won't have the range of sounds.
    Thanks Bill! Since it's for my 5 year old, it doesn't need a range of sounds so the Williams looks great!

my wife thought that we should have a smaller one for the RV and saw this one: http://www.staples.com/For-Dummies-P...roduct_2087866

what do you guys think of this? total garbage or could be a useful, compact travel unit?

I do some keyboard dealing on the side so I have a lot of experience with this. If you don't want to get into the soft synth or MIDI computer realm, and are looking at a standalone thing, the Casio CTK 601 or the Casio CTK 610 are two completely programmable synths for under $100. Casio CTK 610 even has resonance and cutoff, and an onboard processing station with I think 100 presets for echo, distortion, flange, etc. The digital echo on it is very programmable. The Casio CTK 601 can create a lot of weird LFO and pitch envelope sounds you can't do on other synths besides analogs or much more expensive polys. (and I actually have two of these for sale right now, but I don't ship keyboards unless they are small and rare).
    Last edited by regenerativemusic; 02-18-2017 at 05:54 PM. Reason: typo in presets

Yeah, that Casio would probably be a good one for a starter for a child (and you could have fun on it too). I really don't think you'd want to invest too much money beyond $200 or so. You could always look on Craigslist as well in your city and garage sales. You could probably find a Casio for half that price used. They are really all over the place. Pawn shops too. Just try it out before you buy it or ask about the guarantee on it. I wouldn't recommend anything to hook via Midi thru the computer, not yet anyway. Just something portable you can move from location to location in house or car.