Thread: Obscure Camel songs

Obscure Camel songs

I'm hoping someone can help. There's a couple of Camel songs I've listened to on YouTube and for the life of me I can't remember their titles. Any ideas?

One of them is probably "Autumn", apparently recorded as part of the Mirage sessions yet deemed to lightweight or unfitting for inclusion on the album itself. I personally think it's one of the finest tunes they ever recorded - it has a sense of intimate melancholy in perfect harmony with the lyric. A great loss that its sole availability is on one of those boxsets, IMO...

And I can no longer trace it on YT either.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

"Autumn" (1974) and "Riverman" (1975). Bonus tracks on Moonmadness DVD

Pete Bardens wanted to base their next album on Siddharta. However, the rest supported Doug Ferguson's suggestion of The Snow Goose.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post

Pete Bardens wanted to base their next album on Siddharta. However, the rest supported Doug Ferguson's suggestion of The Snow Goose.
    Thanks for this, it rings a bell now. Next step is to see if they're still on YouTube

You won't find it on Youtube anymore. The last 2 months Camel Productions have takedown more than 70 videos from the Youtube, including full albums, videos that fans filmed at concerts, bootlegs and all of sort of material. Very bizarre

I believe this is the second time in a short period I read people mention it the Moonmadness DVD. It's actually called Moondances - Camel Live 1976-1977, covering essentially music from Moonmadness and Raindances.
    Last edited by interbellum; 02-19-2017 at 08:51 AM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    You won't find it on Youtube anymore. The last 2 months Camel Productions have takedown more than 70 videos from the Youtube, including full albums, videos that fans filmed at concerts, bootlegs and all of sort of material. Very bizarre
    I guess they'd prefer people buy the DVDs from them.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I believe this is the second time in a short period I read people mention it the Moondmadness DVD. It's actually called Moondances - Camel Live 1976-1977, covering essentially music from Moonmadness and Raindances.
    Ooops. Thanks

And i believe this is the first time i read people mention it as "MoonDmadness"

Not sure how obscure this is but on the flipside of the 45 for Another Night (off Moonmadness) is a live version of Lunar Sea (clocking in at 10:27) while the studio version of Lunar Sea is 9:11...

They were going to be bonus tracks on the reissues from early last decade via Universal and got as far as pressed to advance promo CDs, but then Latimer asked that the tracks be pulled before production. One was to go on Snowgoose and one on Mirage (I think).
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

Banned
    Although re Camel catalogue nothing could be "obscure" as it could be some bonus-track from a DVD, Today's Goodbye is, at the present day, an underrated English Art Rock song from an shamelessly underrated English Art Rock album - the reason for that is, imo, that those generations of prog-heads that growed up on techno music and '90s crossover trash, with addition of some sympho-rock and Pink Floyd, actually they never were able to recognize the beauty of English Art Rock as a genre as well, and they never will.

Last edited by Svetonio; 02-18-2017 at 02:12 AM.

Nifty.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    Although re Camel catalogue nothing could be "obscure" as it could be some bonus-track from a DVD, Today's Goodbye is, at the present day, an underrated English Art Rock song from an shamelessly underrated English Art Rock album - the reason for that is, imo, that those generations of prog-heads that growed up on techno music and '90s crossover trash, with addition of some sympho-rock and Pink Floyd, actually they never were able to recognize the beauty of English Art Rock as a genre as well, and they never will.

That's just a track on The Single Factor, hardly obscure.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    That's just a track on The Single Factor, hardly obscure.
    Actually, hardly that such a thing like "obscure song by Camel" really exists.
    At least for prog-heads, all their songs are more or less well-know.

And i believe this is the first time i read people mention it as "MoonDmadness"
    I guess that was after my third .

I can understand them taking full albums and DVDs off Youtube as that is taking away their income, but not obscure tracks that aren't available on the albums.

I'm ot a Camel completist but have some of their albums and one of my favorites is the double live one. My favorite piece there is the instrumental Ligging at Louis, but, thought I've looked, I haven't found a studio version in any ot their albums. Did they ever record one?

Quote Originally Posted by everyday View Post
    I can understand them taking full albums and DVDs off Youtube as that is taking away their income, but not obscure tracks that aren't available on the albums.
    As previously said, 'Autumn' and 'Riverman' are on the 'Moondances' DVD. So they are available.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyiceu View Post
    I'm ot a Camel completist but have some of their albums and one of my favorites is the double live one. My favorite piece there is the instrumental Ligging at Louis, but, thought I've looked, I haven't found a studio version in any ot their albums. Did they ever record one?
    If they did, it doesn't seem to have been released. I guess it was just played live.

Another one which never appeared on a Camel album (it was on a Bardens solo release, which predated Camel, but not an album I've owned) at the time was 'Homage To The God Of Light'. A live version with a 'Revisited' suffix was on a various artists release in the 70s and another version appeared as a (very welcome) bonus on their debut. It's more of a Santana-style long jam than the sound they eventually became more famous for.

There's a Camel bootleg called 'Cossato, Blue Cafe, Italy 1973' that features one rare track, The Traveller. Don't know the writing credits though, but it's kind of groovy. Never seen that number on any official release. They also did quite a few covers later on.