Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Roger Waters new album - "Is This The Life We Really Want?"

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    of limited interest, but worth an eye and ear
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I thought that was quite entertaining...thanks!
    I thought that it was the best part of Waters' Wall film - especially after finding out that a bulk of it was filmed without an audience.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I thought that it was the best part of Waters' Wall film - especially after finding out that a bulk of it was filmed without an audience.
    Heh...well, that's most live concert vids these days. Especially all the up close shots...mix in a few concert shots showing the audience here and there and...voila!
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Can't be the snoozefest of OIA, and it's likely to be out for blood in terms of texts...

Yup, I've been expecting this one for over a year.

Three years, I heard. he announced it halfway done some 15 months ago (around the date of release of Gilmour's mast solo album) and to be expected in halfway through 17, and it looks like it's right on tracks

:Attachment 9859

TBH, just having Rog's name in a thread, it's already on the verge of the ravine.

===========

I really enjoyed this.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Can't be the snoozefest of OIA, and it's likely to be out for blood in terms of texts...
    What is OIA?

Yup, I've been expecting this one for over a year.

Three years, I heard. he announced it halfway done some 15 months ago (around the date of release of Gilmour's mast solo album) and to be expected in halfway through 17, and it looks like it's right on tracks

:Attachment 9859

TBH, just having Rog's name in a thread, it's already on the verge of the ravine.

===========

This is pretty much awesome, just to watch these two old gods sipping wine and bantering back and forth
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Is this becoming a new thing for rock stars, to be filmed getting progressively more sloshed at some private, posh establishment while engaging in funny banter?

And why was Liam Neeson thanked in the credits (and why did that need all those credits)?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What is OIA?
    Overtly Inane Album

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    And why was Liam Neeson thanked in the credits (and why did that need all those credits)?
    I was wondering about all those credits as well. As for Neeson, maybe he owns the concept or the place (which looks cool, BTW)

This is pretty much awesome, just to watch these two old gods sipping wine and bantering back and forth
    I like the moment where Nick admits seeing Gilmour much less than Waters.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

16 February 2017

ROGER AND NICK V&A EXHIBITION PRESS CONFERENCE

Pink Floyd Exhibition Press Conference Roger Waters and Nick Mason made a rare public appearance together today at London's May Fair Hotel at a media briefing and Q&A session for The Pink Floyd Exhibition: Their Mortal Remains, due to open in May at London's V&A museum. Hosted by DJ Matt Everitt, the event started with a short description of the exhibition by co-curator Victoria Broackes, outlining the attention to detail that has gone into every aspect.

This was followed by a Question & Answer session with Matt and Pink Floyd's Creative Director Aubrey 'Po' Powell of Hipgnosis, alongside Ray Winkler, CEO of the exhibition's designers Stufish. Po spoke evocatively and warmly of his personal history with the members of Pink Floyd, and with Syd Barrett in particular, providing a creative and cultural overview of the ups, downs and importance of Pink Floyd's career, while Ray Winkler touched on the design and architectural elements of Pink Floyd's live staging.

Daniel Sennheiser, CEO of audio electronics company Sennheiser, then talked about the company's involvement with Pink Floyd from their earliest years, and their shared commitment to audio excellence, which will manifest itself in 360-degree audio mixes played in a portion of the exhibition, as well as the headphone technology used to provide aural accompaniment to the exhibits.

Finally, Roger and Nick took to the stage to answer questions from Matt Everitt and some media in the audience. With thoughtful, and occasionally hilarious, answers, they covered topics such as playing specific concerts and Roger's forthcoming album, to be entitled 'Is This The Life We Really Want?', while Nick admitted that he was probably the member of Pink Floyd most likely to have kept photos and memorabilia. Both of them professed their admiration for the V&A curation team in unearthing interesting and meaningful objects, whether historic personal letters from the band or the actual cane used to beat Roger at Cambridgeshire High School For Boys, accompanied by the school's 'Punishment Book' listing the beatings.

They both looked forward to viewing the exhibition in person, including passing through the entrance, a special reconstruction of the band's Bedford CA van, into a world of Pink Floyd history, starting with psychedelia and progressing to the ambitious stagings of the later years.

The Pink Floyd Exhibition: Their Mortal Remains, presented by the V&A and Michael Cohl's Iconic Entertainment Studios, runs from the 13th May till the 1st October 2017.

Tickets are on sale now: in person at the V&A; online at www.vam.ac.uk/pink-floyd or by calling (in the UK) 0800 912 6961 (booking fee applies); or from ticketing partners Ticketmaster, LOVETheatre, See Tickets, and Encore.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I played Amused to Death a couple days ago. Yep, that's definitely the best of the bunch. Anyone know who is speaking on the title track and what the context is?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

His name was Alf Razzel...lots of history on him. I find his story to be kind of an "anchor" for the darker tone of ATD; a very human story of war and what it leaves on those who went through it.

Very much my own $0.02, mind you. For me, the outtro on the title track is one of the finest moment Waters has achieved.

Yeah, that outro is just outstanding. Now that I had a name to go on I did a search and found this

http://www.rogerwaters.org/bh.html

The Somme was probably one of the worst pieces of warfare in human history (which is saying something). JRR Tolkien lived through that and said he lost all of his friends. All of them. The bodies lying underwater in the Dead Marshes in Lord of the Rings were inspired by Tolkien having to walk over bodies of men he knew.

Yeah...IMHO his is a powerful story and for me it kind of grounds the whole thing. And even offers a sort of catharsis in the end.

Never knew about Tolkien though...that's just haunting.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Yeah...IMHO his is a powerful story and for me it kind of grounds the whole thing. And even offers a sort of catharsis in the end.

Never knew about Tolkien though...that's just haunting.
    Yeah, kind of sheds some light on a divided character like Gollum. Used to be fully Hobbit, torn between doing what he feels is right and what he's told to do.

so political posts are allowed now or it's ok because it's Roger Waters?
    Last edited by BravadoNJ; 02-20-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    so political posts are allowed now or it's ok because it's Roger Waters?
    What politics? I've seen some discussion of history, that's all. If you want to post something in favor of the deaths at Anzio that's probably ok.

I honestly don't know how this topic will play out...I can't see his next album NOT touching on some subjects that will, at best, spark polite disagreement. At worst, it'll spiral out of control and get closed.

Regardless of whether "Is This The Life That We Really Want" turns out to be good or not, I applaud Roger Waters finally getting past endlessly remaking "The Wall."

The politics expressed in the poem are woefully shallow and jingoistic, but his heart's in the right place so more power to him. Too many people with money and influence can't be bothered with the real world anymore.

I like his politics more than his music, and that's all I'm saying about that.

However, I still am interested to hear what he's come up with and Amused to Death IS a pretty decent album for him (obviously, I also like his work with Pink Floyd, and am one of those rare people that really likes The Final Cut).

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post

Both, actually. We are a democratic republic, not a direct democracy. So, yeah, we are both a republic and a democracy (but not a "classical" or "direct" democracy......it's semantics, but it's still accurate to say the US is both).
    Last edited by infandous; 02-23-2017 at 03:32 PM.

So, there's a new album "coming soon" but all he has as camples is a 30-second, wordless music track and him reading a poem? Kind of weird. Maybe he really wants to keep us in suspense, but I'd rather be reassured a little that it's a real Roger Waters album coming soon - one he might play material from on tour. Not that I'll be seeing him (Brooklyn is too long a slog for me, but to be honest even if he was playing MSG I'd probably wait for the Blu-Ray). I'm just a little worried this album will come out billed as "An album of Spoken Poetry and Backing Tracks" or something.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    I like his politics more than his music, and that's all I'm saying about that.

However, I still am interested to hear what he's come up with and Amused to Death IS a pretty decent album for him (obviously, I also like his work with Pink Floyd, and am one of those rare people that really likes The Final Cut).
    If you like Amused to Death and The Final Cut, you must like his music pretty well (I like both those albums, although AtD is probably my least favorite of his solo albums (you can include The Final Cut in that list if you want!).

If you like Amused to Death and The Final Cut, you must like his music pretty well (I like both those albums, although AtD is probably my least favorite of his solo albums (you can include The Final Cut in that list if you want!).
    Surprisingly, no. I only said AtD is "pretty decent". I've only heard it maybe 4 or 5 times and it wasn't bad. I don't like any of his other solo albums, unless you count The Final Cut as a solo album (which I actually do, in which case it is by far my favorite).

I listened to Radio KAOS the other day. Hadn't listened to the whole thing in quite a while. I always liked it, and it's actually held up pretty well, IMO. The song Radio Waves is the only one that has the sort of obnoxiously bouncy sound that I think some people complained about. I actually like the song, but I do wonder how it got such a bouncy sound - it's a bit over done. Over all though, I think the album has the best mix of melody and lyrics that work very well with Water's voice. For example, I love when he "sings" the lines:

Benny climbed up on a footbridge
    And he teetered on the parapet

His delivery of the word "parapet" just fits his voice so well. I like those little details.

I listened to Radio KAOS the other day. Hadn't listened to the whole thing in quite a while. I always liked it, and it's actually held up pretty well, IMO. The song Radio Waves is the only one that has the sort of obnoxiously bouncy sound that I think some people complained about. I actually like the song, but I do wonder how it got such a bouncy sound - it's a bit over done. Over all though, I think the album has the best mix of melody and lyrics that work very well with Water's voice. For example, I love when he "sings" the lines:

Benny climbed up on a footbridge
    And he teetered on the parapet

His delivery of the word "parapet" just fits his voice so well. I like those little details.
    I agree. "Who Needs Information" was probably my favorite song from Radio KAOS.