Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Roger Waters new album - "Is This The Life We Really Want?"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I agree. "Who Needs Information" was probably my favorite song from Radio KAOS.
    I would imagine the people who don't like Radio KAOS are the same people who think DSOTM shouldn't have had any saxophone on it. Probably an oversimplification though.

Off topic, but I remember a scene in an episode of 30 Rock where Tina Fey has a dream with the spirits of three people who have outmoded jobs, one is a travel agent, one is an auto worker, and one is a black guy who says "I played dynamite saxophone solos in rock and roll songs." Made me laugh!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 02-23-2017 at 04:35 PM.

Jon Neudorf
    I always thought Radio KAOS was vastly underrated. Probably his most melodic solo work to date.

^^ The live show was cool too. With Jim Ladd DJing the show.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^^ The live show was cool too. With Jim Ladd DJing the show.
    Oh, you mean Jim "Have I told you in the past 5 minutes that I'm best friends with Roger Waters" Ladd?

(And is that why back in the 80s Jim Ladd wasn't seen anywhere without his aviator sunglasses?)
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Oh, you mean Jim "Have I told you in the past 5 minutes that I'm best friends with Roger Waters" Ladd?
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I would imagine the people who don't like Radio KAOS are the same people who think DSOTM shouldn't have had any saxophone on it. Probably an oversimplification though.

Off topic, but I remember a scene in an episode of 30 Rock where Tina Fey has a dream with the spirits of three people who have outmoded jobs, one is a travel agent, one is an auto worker, and one is a black guy who says "I played dynamite saxophone solos in rock and roll songs." Made me laugh!
    I love Dark Side Of The Moon. I love saxophones. I like other solo album of Roger Waters than Radio K.A.O.S which I happen to think is really bad album. Even with saxophones on it.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Both, actually. We are a democratic republic, not a direct democracy. So, yeah, we are both a republic and a democracy (but not a "classical" or "direct" democracy......it's semantics, but it's still accurate to say the US is both).
    We were a direct democracy between 1776 and 1787, and it didn't work so well. That's why the Articles of Confederation were dumped for the Constitution, which was the result of ten years of careful deliberation.

"This is how you control your domestic population - by making people afraid and by identifying an enemy."

-- Roger Waters

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    We were a direct democracy between 1776 and 1787, and it didn't work so well. That's why the Articles of Confederation were dumped for the Constitution, which was the result of ten years of careful deliberation.
    Also, on a practical level, the Confederation was dumped because the central government was so weak, it couldn't do much of anything. The former colonies needed a stronger central government, but didn't want an absolute monarchy like they just abandoned.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

George Washington grew hemp.
    And Thomas Jefferson had six children by his slave. So what? Different times.

If there's a new album, I'm all in.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    I like his politics more than his music, and that's all I'm saying about that.

However, I still am interested to hear what he's come up with and Amused to Death IS a pretty decent album for him (obviously, I also like his work with Pink Floyd, and am one of those rare people that really likes The Final Cut).
    Agree with everything said here. I love the Final Cut. To me it's kind of this hidden gem in the catalog with some excellent songs and guitar solos. It being the last Waters Floyd album gives it some extra substance. I do prefer the initial vinyl version rather than the remastered version with When The Tigers pushed in there.

Listening to the few snippets of the new album they just beg for Gilmour solos over top. Hope against hope that this is the case and it's been kept under wraps. If not, he does usually use good guitarists. I thought Clapton and Beck fit in well on previous efforts.

Also, I think it's so crazy that Roger presented Pros/Cons and the Wall to the band. It's weird to think what might've been if they'd chosen Pros.

Finally, I found the last few minutes of that video above quite poignant. The bit about breaking down 'some' of their personal walls.

I definitely wouldn't hold my breath for Gilmour on Rog's album.

I hope Rog releases an actual track from his album soon. I don't yet believe there's a real Waters album imminent...

Creative types usually have one last hurrah and this album is Roger's, me thinks. And to not have Gilmour on at least one track is just absolutely ridiculous. He could just send the track to Gilmour to solo over. Anyway, looking forward to album and tour.

I hope Rog releases an actual track from his album soon. I don't yet believe there's a real Waters album imminent...
    A reliable source tells me that it will be released the same day as the new ARW album.

I definitely wouldn't hold my breath for Gilmour on Rog's album.
    Gilmour is way too much a curmudgeon to ever do something like that (with Roger, I mean)

It would be like he wasn't angry or upset on anyone anymore.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

<<And to not have Gilmour on at least one track is just absolutely ridiculous.>>

Yet the most likely way it will go down.

Quote Originally Posted by zumacraig View Post
    And to not have Gilmour on at least one track is just absolutely ridiculous.
    Why?

Because they used to be in a band together?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Why?

Because they used to be in a band together?
    That's a very good question and answer. I just thought Waters would do it for me.

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Another little taste -
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Another little taste -
    Little being the operative word. Is this an orchestral, vocal-free album?

Little being the operative word. Is this an orchestral, vocal-free album?
    Of course it is. What other type of album would Roger do?

Interesting:

• I don't see his usual collaborators in there (that isn't Graham Broad on drums, I don't think).
    • I definitely hear a Radiohead sound (that track reminded me of 'How to Disappear Completely' from Kid A). For me personally, this is a good thing.
    • I'm looking forward to hearing the end result
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com