Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Donald Fagen/Steely Dan: I think it counts as prog

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I suspect there was some truth the the "Fagan can't finish a song" story. It wouldn't surprise me if he were an obsessive perfectionist.
    Reading "Reelin' in the Years" by Brian Sweet will confirm those suspicions. I'd recommend that book to anybody who's even moderately interested in SD.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Reading "Reelin' in the Years" by Brian Sweet will confirm those suspicions. I'd recommend that book to anybody who's even moderately interested in SD.
    And thanks to you (not that you remember, but you were the one who first hipped me to it), I can say....X2!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Will definitely look for the Brian Sweet book. Thanks for the tip!

I don't usually spend money re-buying CDs, but I recently replaced my 80s copies of Royal Scam and Aja with the 1999 remasters, and these suckers sound great. I noticed the difference right off. Their albums sell for only 5 bucks these days, so it was definitely worth it!

The Aja title track gets my vote for one of the finest songs/performances of the era. And Royal Scam? I love every note on that album!

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Royal Scam? I love every note on that album!
    Amen!!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

If you ever wanted a "little more prog" in your Steely Dan...at the risk of self-promotion...might you take a listen to this? The "steely" kicks in at 2:00 but you don't want to skip the beginning:
    Steely Dan meets King Crimson?
    Last edited by 3RDegree_Robert; 11-28-2012 at 05:41 AM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    So what did you think of Fagen's Morph the Cat? I thought it was excellent; better than The Nightfly and Kamakiriad combined!
    Wasn't big on MORPH. Don't know why. REally dig the SD albums from last decade especially EMG. Love the song Becker sings!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    "Fagan can't finish a song"
    Reading "Reelin' in the Years" by Brian Sweet will confirm those suspicions.
    That makes sense... I was just listening to SD today and some of those songs just fade out without finishing.

I can listen to all of the albums from the original 73-80 period and appreciate their skills and their unique sound.....TAN is good but not up to par with any prior releases and Every thing Must Go is just Ok

I love all the fagen solo releases and they give me a break from hearing the sometimes overplayed group releases....
    Morph the cat is one of my favorites ( and like chris squire's fish out of water sounds like a YES release) this one to me sounds more like a long lost Dan album then a solo release......