Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Il Baricentro and Il Volo-- two RPI bands that deserve more mention

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    I've got to have more weirdness/quirkiness with my fusion.
    In a strange way and in a different tendency to the progressive rock bands, most italian fusion was very formulaic. Yet, some bands already mentioned (I'll add debut Dedalus, Living Life, Madrugada and some of Area's fusion era) were rather an exception to the rule. Of the bands sticking to the formula, some efforts were downright successful but the majority of their albums didn't escape the "strictly for fanboys & completists" label, as I'm looking at them from a distance.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    In a strange way and in a different tendency to the progressive rock bands, most italian fusion was very formulaic. Yet, some bands already mentioned (I'll add debut Dedalus, Living Life, Madrugada and some of Area's fusion era) were rather an exception to the rule. Of the bands sticking to the formula, some efforts were downright successful but the majority of their albums didn't escape the "strictly for fanboys & completists" label, as I'm looking at them from a distance.
    I would agree. The debut Dedalus is excellent, Area were quite obviously an extraordinary band as a whole, Living Life were at least peculiar - and Madrugada's second album, Incastro, has always struck me as possibly the single most underrated Italian 70s progressive album overall.

Dedalus' second album, however, is arguably the most remarkably radical record I've ever heard from a purported "rock" group. So insanely far-out that it's actually a bit fascinating - much more so, to me I have to say, than any Metal Machine Music.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Dedalus' second album, however, is arguably the most remarkably radical record I've ever heard from a purported "rock" group. So insanely far-out that it's actually a bit fascinating - much more so, to me I have to say, than any Metal Machine Music.
    Yes... something unique clicked with some italian bands in a very radical way. There's also the example of "Gudrun" by Pierrot Lunaire, Nascita Della Sfera from the 70s. And relatively in the same line, the smashing of any punk/hardcore stereotype in CCCP's Affinita' Divergenze and the Confusional Quartet post-modernist assault on post-punk album from the 80s. To keep the flame in the current era with Zu and S.A.D.O.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

^ Gudrun is extraordinary, and especially its integral application of musical "third wall breakings" in that the music even goes to the level of contextualizing itself through external perspective - as particularly successful in the final song, "Morella"; I don't think I've ever heard a tune-within-a-tune effort this effectively theatrical yet still so profoundly beautiful and sincere. That whole album is a complete voyage into auteur'ish post-modernist sound/song stylings and conscious traps. As much as I enjoy the debut Opus Avantra, it never quite reaches the heights of Gudrun.

But of course, this was the land that gave us those first four Battiatos as well; talk about unique...
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Madrugada's second album, Incastro, has always struck me as possibly the single most underrated Italian 70s progressive album overall.
    I like both of the Madrugada LPs. They’re a bit on a parallel with Il Volo in that the first is a very sing-songy, almost poppish approach to prog, while the second album is mostly instrumental and far more exploratory.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    Likewise, I bought Formula 3's "Sognando & Resignando" when I saw it was on Numero Uno and then got their next LP, "La Grande Casa", when it came out. It's not quite as good as "S & R", but it's worth having for a few tracks.
    La grande casa was the first album where the Battisti cord was cut, and the three guys were forced to write all their own material. I’d say they were not quite ready for prime time, on account of the amount of San Remo-ish pop-rock cheese on here (“Bambina sbagliata” and the “cherry” song in particular...what were they thinking?). That said, “Libertą per quest’uomo” and the title song are as good as anything they ever did.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Not a huge Italian prog fan, but I've had what I think is the first Il Volo (White cover with an over-exposed photo of a face & eyes) for over 20 years, and it is one of a handful of Japanese import CD's I own. As I recall the music was melodic and mellow, need to pull it out for another listen. Mr. Walker turned me onto it...

Last edited by yoyiceu; 02-17-2017 at 09:55 PM.

I see what you mean. One of the reasons why I never really got into Perigeo or Kaleidon or Napoli Centrale was their somewhat archetypal approach to the medium of fusion. Granted there were at times a quite "mediterranean" feel there as well, and there were certainly some good tunes and themes and hot playing, but I never connected in the sense I did to, say, Arti e Mestieri, that freaky Duello Madre affair or even Nova - or indeed the wonderful stylings of Picchio dal Pozzo.
    I just got out NC's Campagna and feel a need to revoke every modest sentiment towards them - this album is fucking KILLER!

I just got out NC's Campagna and feel a need to revoke every modest sentiment towards them - this album is fucking KILLER!
    I'm not familiar with a Napoli Centrale album with Campagna in the title. Is this a boot, live album, other? Genuinely curious as I love Napoli Centrale, though I only own their first three studio albums.

Bill

I was going to say something about this one, but let it lay... I'm with you all the way on the debut. Now Mattanza OTOH, I can live without (this based on listens within the last week actually). As a bonus, the debut features an absolutely profound gatefold cover. Not sure why that is, but it really speaks to me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I'm not familiar with a Napoli Centrale album with Campagna in the title. Is this a boot, live album, other? Genuinely curious as I love Napoli Centrale, though I only own their first three studio albums.

Bill
    Alternate title of the debut.

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    Alternate title of the debut.
    Ah, thanks. That is my favorite, but I like the next two a lot as well.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    I was going to say something about this one, but let it lay... I'm with you all the way on the debut. Now Mattanza OTOH, I can live without (this based on listens within the last week actually).
    Which was the exact reason for my initial sentiment; I'd simply alowed myelf to forget about how intensely raw and powerful that debut is in comparison.

And yeah, Campagna was simply in relation to the opening track, by which I've often seen the whole album referred. I believe there's even an interview with one of the members somewhere online where he keeps calling it that.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Has Bruno Lauzi’s cover of “Molecole (Il canto della preistoria)” ever been posted here?
    Actually, I think Lavezzi gave the song to him before IV recorded it.

I’ve already mentioned Che cosa sei so I think I ought to mention Lavezzi’s post-IV solo album, Iaia. Both are recommended for fans of the IV albums, and they’re sort of like the “things we got in the divorce settlement” albums—the former featuring that distinctive “synth-guitar” sound and arrangements by Vince Tempera, the latter featuring most of the rest of the band apart from Radius.

Anna Oxa covered “Le tue ali” for her 1984 album La mia corsa, which was produced, arranged and featured the guitar playing of Mario Lavezzi:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...