Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324
Results 576 to 592 of 592

Thread: Ok, what's so great about... Steely Dan?

  1. #576
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    2,228
    Quote Originally Posted by AndiSexgang View Post
    I'd like an answer to the opening question. I've never got the massive interest in SD.
    Dude, if you don't get it after reading the preceding 23 pages, you never will.

  2. #577
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Portland, OR, USA
    Posts
    1,200
    Quote Originally Posted by AndiSexgang View Post
    I'd like an answer to the opening question. I've never got the massive interest in SD.
    Great music, great lyrics, great playing, superbly recorded - do I need to go on? Granted, they're extremely slick and commercial, their sound the pinnacle of the Seventies' studio musician's craft, and they're seriously lacking in both gritty "authenticity" and uncompromising art-for-art's-sake purity of vision. But that's not what they were ever about.

  3. #578
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    1,096
    I had a brief discussion with G.E. Stinson about Steely Dan. He never bought into them, either.
    This conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

  4. #579
    Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Coastal California
    Posts
    719
    I find the band's songwriting tremendous. They bridged pop and jazz in a way that created their own idiom. A lot of the solos and grooves laid to tape are really tasty.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

  5. #580
    Steely Dan hit the UK in a weeks time, support is Steve Winwood. Should be a great show.

  6. #581
    Quote Originally Posted by Progtastic View Post
    Steely Dan hit the UK in a weeks time, support is Steve Winwood. Should be a great show.
    Dude, that's bucket list material right there!

    I've seen Steely Dan (just once), but would love to see Winwood too!

    Hope you have a good time. Let us know how it goes!

  7. #582
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    3,368
    What's great about Steely Dan?

    Countdown To Ecstacy.

  8. #583
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    1,096
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I've seen Steely Dan (just once), but would love to see Winwood too!
    I've only seen SD once, too, but also saw the New York Rock & Soul Revue, which included Becker & Fagen, so they played a ton of SD material.

    I saw Winwood when he & Clapton toured together. I'd never had any desire to see EC but touring with Steve, I figured they'd play some Blind Faith songs. I wasn't disappointed. The highlight, tho, was their rendition of Voodoo Chile, a song SW originally played organ on. Steve was great, as you'd expect, but EC tore it up! His solo was better than Jimi's original.

    Edit: the other highlight was hearing Dear Mr. Fantasy. That was historical.
    This conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

  9. #584
    Progga mogrooves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Past
    Posts
    1,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Progtastic View Post
    Steely Dan hit the UK in a week's time, support is Steve Winwood. Should be a great show.
    I caught this bill a couple of years ago (with Becker) and it was money well-spent.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    His solo was better than Jimi's original.
    I'm gonna hafta call BS on this.
    Michael: "Harold, don't you have any other music, you know, from [last] century?"
    Harold: "There is no other music....."

  10. #585
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I've only seen SD once, too, but also saw the New York Rock & Soul Revue, which included Becker & Fagen, so they played a ton of SD material.

    I saw Winwood when he & Clapton toured together. I'd never had any desire to see EC but touring with Steve, I figured they'd play some Blind Faith songs. I wasn't disappointed. The highlight, tho, was their rendition of Voodoo Chile, a song SW originally played organ on. Steve was great, as you'd expect, but EC tore it up! His solo was better than Jimi's original.

    Edit: the other highlight was hearing Dear Mr. Fantasy. That was historical.
    Ohh man, "Dear Mr. Fantasy" must have been awesome to see performed live. Sounds like you witnessed a great show.

    If I could see Winwood perform that and "Heaven Is In Your Mind", I would be in the proverbial hog heaven.

    Seriously, those are two of my favorite Traffic songs -- and just favorite songs period, by anyone.

  11. #586
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Ohh man, "Dear Mr. Fantasy" must have been awesome to see performed live. Sounds like you witnessed a great show.

    If I could see Winwood perform that and "Heaven Is In Your Mind", I would be in the proverbial hog heaven.

    Seriously, those are two of my favorite Traffic songs -- and just favorite songs period, by anyone.
    I've seen Winwood twice (with Traffic opening for Grateful Dead in 1994, and solo opening for Steely Dan a few years ago). He didn't play "Heaven Is In Your Mind" but I believe "Dear Mr. Fantasy" was in both sets.

  12. #587
    Jon Neudorf
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    What's great about Steely Dan?

    Countdown To Ecstacy.
    And Pretzel Logic, and Aja, and Can't Buy A thrill, and The Royal Scam, and Katy Lied, and Gaucho, and.....yep, they were/are great.

  13. #588
    Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    And Pretzel Logic, and Aja, and Can't Buy A thrill, and The Royal Scam, and Katy Lied, and Gaucho, and.....yep, they were/are great.
    Not that they ever wrote a prog song...

  14. #589
    Member Guitarplyrjvb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northeast Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    393
    Not to derail this thread, but there's a great Doobie Brothers documentary on AXS that intersects with Steely Dan due to the fact that the Doobies and SD toured together and there was a lot of cross-pollination in the form of Jeff Baxter and Michael McDonald. The Doobies seem to be the rare band that wasn't screwed over by their management and actually made some money during their career. They even had a profit sharing and pension plan from their early days.
    Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 02-18-2019 at 05:55 PM.

  15. #590
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Portland, OR, USA
    Posts
    1,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    The Doobies seem to be the rare band that wasn't screwed over by their management and actually made some money during their career.
    Interesting. You wonder whether the management were unusually honest. Or were the band unusually savvy, did they either actually read every clause of their contracts (and have the impenetrable legal mumbo-jumbo explained in words of one syllable) or hire their own lawyer to do so, and did they then demand changes of the "trap" provisions?

  16. #591
    Member Guitarplyrjvb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northeast Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    393
    Apparently, they’ve had the same manager throughout their career. He was a friend of the band who started out helping them move their amps, took money at the door, and mixing their sound. He realized he had no idea about handling finances, so he asked his parents who turned him on to their family’s CPA.

  17. #592
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Dude, if you don't get it after reading the preceding 23 pages, you never will.
    Exactly what I was gonna say. But, to each his own. Plenty of highly revered bands out there I have little use for. Seriously though, I have a hunch the poster you're responding to hasn't taken the time to read the entire thread.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •