Page 71 of 71 FirstFirst ... 21616768697071
Results 1,751 to 1,770 of 1770

Thread: MLB 2017

I don't see this as a transitional year. I don't think they do either. I'm pretty sure they see this as a championship year.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I don't see this as a transitional year. I don't think they do either. I'm pretty sure they see this as a championship year.
    It is transitional in terms of personnel. The 1996 team was good enough to win a WS, but it wasn't the same team as the 1998-2001 version of the Yankees. Likewise, the team as it exists right now will have some significant differences in 14 months. But the team that they have 14 months or so from now will probably be the team for the next 4-5 years.

This year's team may win a lot of games, but it doesn't need to. Any areas that it ends up lacking in can be filled in by the time 2019 starts. As far as championships - nobody can ever plan on winning a short series. Those are mostly the product of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    This year's team may win a lot of games, but it doesn't need to.
    Tell that to Hal Steinbrenner.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The Giants and Pirates have agreed to a trade that would send outfielder Andrew McCutchen to San Francisco, a source told MLB.com's Jon Paul Morosi. The deal was first first reported by MLB Network insider Ken Rosenthal.

The deal is pending a review of medical records, Rosenthal reported. Neither club has confirmed nor commented on the report.

Pittsburgh fans have to be miserable today.

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Pittsburgh fans have to be miserable today.

Yes, they are. They are livid that they have a baseball team owner not committed to winning, especially after voting against their new stadium and having the local government ignoring their will and shoving it down their throats, anyway.

Oh yeah, they are super pissed at their Steelers, too.

Me, I couldn't care less, except for the fact that the SF Giants were one team who might have helped unload Ellsbury from NY.

Anyways through the Yankees prism.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Any old men left out there? Giants will trade for them. I hear Rafael Palmeiro is looking for a job.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Anyways through the Yankees prism.
    Consider it my gift to you.

Tell that to Hal Steinbrenner.
    This team was assembled with the primary objective of staying under a spending threshold. This particular team will only be together for one go-round. Nice if they win a lot of games, but I think organization is more interested in the individual performances. A hypothetical year in which the playoffs are missed, yet where all of the young players play well, will be valued more by the organization than a year in which they make another deep playoff run, but the team is carried by outgoing veterans and trade-deadline rentals, while numerous of the young centerpieces struggle.
    Last edited by Facelift; 01-16-2018 at 02:00 AM.

This team was assembled with the primary objective of staying under a spending threshold. This particular team will only be together for one go-round. Nice if they win a lot of games, but I think organization is more interested in the individual performances. A hypothetical year in which the playoffs are missed, yet where all of the young players play well, will be valued more by the organization than a year in which they make another deep playoff run, but the team is carried by outgoing veterans and trade-deadline rentals, while numerous of the young centerpieces struggle.
    They have been assembled to both win and stay under the threshold. Those are not mutually exclusive.

They have been assembled to both win and stay under the threshold. Those are not mutually exclusive.
    Winning is hoped for, but this is another year of house money. Could just as easily be around .500.

It's only after next year, when multiple more stars will be joining the team, that the clock for winning championships begins to count down.

Winning is hoped for, but this is another year of house money. Could just as easily be around .500.

It's only after next year, when multiple more stars will be joining the team, that the clock for winning championships begins to count down.
    Yeah, whatever.

Looks like new clocks are being considered for implementation this season:

An industry source confirmed the contents of a memo first reported by Yahoo Sports, which details the regulations that would become law if the two sides can’t agree on moderations. It features:

- A 20-second pitch clock for all pitches that would start when a pitcher has the ball on the mound and stop when the pitcher begins his windup or comes set. If the pitcher steps off the rubber, the clock would reset. Batters must be in the box five seconds after the clock starts. A pitcher would receive a warning for his first violation, and every subsequent violation would result in a ball. The batter will be charged with a strike if he doesn’t set up in time. Last year in MLB, the average time it took a pitcher to throw a pitch was 22 seconds.

- A limit of two mound visits by anyone — or even the pitcher venturing off the mound to chat with a teammate — per pitcher, per inning. The second visit will require the pitcher to leave the game. Under the old rules, such restrictions were imposed only on the manager and pitching coach and a pitcher could engage with his catcher and infielders as much as his heart desired.

- A timer will monitor a 30-second limit between batters.

No mention of how they'll fix the MAJOR delays from reviewing plays.

Just opened a new thread for the 2018 season

^^^
    Do you want to open a separate thread in which you & Facelift can bicker about the Yankees, leaving the rest of us to discuss baseball on the main thread, in peace?

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    ^^^
    Do you want to open a separate thread in which you & Facelift can bicker about the Yankees, leaving the rest of us to discuss baseball on the main thread, in peace?
    No, but you can keep your snide remarks in the old thread.

FWIW, I have started more than my share of baseball discussions that are not centered around NY. Plus, I'm also not one to provide inning-by-inning updates like some do here. But, I accept them, nonetheless.

Looks like new clocks are being considered for implementation this season:

An industry source confirmed the contents of a memo first reported by Yahoo Sports, which details the regulations that would become law if the two sides can’t agree on moderations. It features:

- A 20-second pitch clock for all pitches that would start when a pitcher has the ball on the mound and stop when the pitcher begins his windup or comes set. If the pitcher steps off the rubber, the clock would reset. Batters must be in the box five seconds after the clock starts. A pitcher would receive a warning for his first violation, and every subsequent violation would result in a ball. The batter will be charged with a strike if he doesn’t set up in time. Last year in MLB, the average time it took a pitcher to throw a pitch was 22 seconds.

- A limit of two mound visits by anyone — or even the pitcher venturing off the mound to chat with a teammate — per pitcher, per inning. The second visit will require the pitcher to leave the game. Under the old rules, such restrictions were imposed only on the manager and pitching coach and a pitcher could engage with his catcher and infielders as much as his heart desired.

- A timer will monitor a 30-second limit between batters.
    Window dressing that doesn't address the real issue

No mention of how they'll fix the MAJOR delays from reviewing plays.
    I'd like to see them improve this process, but love that they'll continue to review umpires' awful calls.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Yankees pick up Sonny Gray an hour before the deadline for three top prospects, two of whom have major injuries. This looks like a great move by Cashman.
    Yankees pretty much got raped.
    ^^ I think it's a very smart move. Since you disagree, I know I'm right.
    We'll see

Too soon? Nah.

Chalk up another one.

Too soon? Nah.

Chalk up another one.
    You need to get a life, bro.