Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2017

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Ed decided to take a break from PE as he realized his football shtick was getting too much even for him. I chatted to him at Orion when Schnellertollermeier played. As Geezer says he's a sweetheart in real life but he certainly doesn't help himself with his online personality. I agree with a lot of the politics he posts on FB but he can be surprisingly racist whether intentionally or otherwise.

I miss him and will certainly spend time with him at the next ProgDay.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I don't miss him at all. He's childish and a proud racist.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Looking forward to it with cautious optimism. Cashman shed salary and brought in a bunch of kids. And the NL home run leader last year. But right now they are still prospects with some will flame out but you have to like what they are doing. There is a logjam at first and the corner outfield spots so Cash isn't done yet.

After this year CC and ARod's contracts roll off too. If all goes well they will be serious contenders in 2018. Too many ifs for this year but it will be interesting
    It's going to be a few years. Their better acquired talent is a few years away. And not every emerging prospect is going to be Gary Sanchez. Hell, even Gary Sanchez might not be Gary Sanchez.

I'm a big farm system guy myself, and it's going to be very trendy after the Cubs and Royals both won WS and the Astros and Pirates are competitive. But it's also fair to note that all these teams sucked royally (pun intended) for several seasons as they did a complete rebuild.
    Last edited by Poisoned Youth; 02-18-2017 at 10:51 AM.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

But it's also fair to note that all these teams sucked royally (pun intended) for several seasons as they did a complete rebuild.
    That's kind of where my Twins are at right now. The hitters are finally here but the pitching is still in AA and AAA
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Picked up six tickets for the Pirates vs. the Yankees here in Pittsburgh for late April. Got the second cheapest seats in the house. Still, they were over 200 bucks. And that doesn't include parking or over-priced, under-portioned food.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Picked up six tickets for the Pirates vs. the Yankees here in Pittsburgh for late April. Got the second cheapest seats in the house. Still, they were over 200 bucks. And that doesn't include parking or over-priced, under-portioned food.
    Man, I'm so old I should be dead. I vividly remember in 1957 at age 12 playing hooky with my friend and getting on the subway in Queens at 4:30am to ride up to 161st & River to stand in line for the game. We paid $2.00 for bleacher seats (during the regular season they were 60 cents at YS, Polo & Ebbets).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

^You are a bit older than my dad (he was born in '49). He was born in Brooklyn around Flatbush and remembers going to Ebbets.

I'll have to remind him to tell me about it when we see the (Suburban) Atlanta Braves this year. Must've been a different experience. Basically the Dodgers were a neighborhood team, right?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

So you're paying around thirty bucks for the second cheapest seats? Wow. East coast sports are definitely higher than the Midwest (though Chicago might be an exception). I can score Twins tickets for significantly less than $30.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    ^You are a bit older than my dad (he was born in '49). He was born in Brooklyn around Flatbush and remembers going to Ebbets.

I'll have to remind him to tell me about it when we see the (Suburban) Atlanta Braves this year. Must've been a different experience. Basically the Dodgers were a neighborhood team, right?
    That's sort of accurate, since pretty much all of Brooklyn were Dodger fans. Like my family though, the Dodgers had more fans in Queens than the Yankees or the Giants (maybe it's the geography of Queens & Brooklyn being one huge island). Now in Manhattan & the Bronx, otoh.......
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    So you're paying around thirty bucks for the second cheapest seats? Wow. East coast sports are definitely higher than the Midwest (though Chicago might be an exception). I can score Twins tickets for significantly less than $30.
    I was thinking the same thing. Individual game tickets are not on sale yet for the Tigers, but bleacher seats are usually a lot cheaper than that. The Tigers have about 20 different prices depending on where you sit.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    ^You are a bit older than my dad (he was born in '49).
    Whoa! 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    This is what they consider a "gold" game, from what my neighbor who works for the team told me. I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were gold prices. So, they could simply be gouging.

This is what they consider a "gold" game, from what my neighbor who works for the team told me. I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were gold prices. So, they could simply be gouging.
    Yep, that's the case. Regular price is $21.00 per ticket. I paid $32.00.

Ahh.....that makes sense. I think the Tigers also have some games that are considered "premium" where prices are higher. Seems like last year when the Red Sox came to town the prices were elevated if I remember correctly.

I absolutely hate that practice. You're sending a message that your fans are paying to watch the opposition, not your team. So lame.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I absolutely hate that practice. You're sending a message that your fans are paying to watch the opposition, not your team. So lame.
    In this case, they are. The Pirates have good fan support, now that they're relevant. But, when the Yankees come to town, attendance rises everywhere.

That's not a gloat; it's a fact.

But, when the Yankees come to town, attendance rises everywhere.

Very true. There's a lot of frontrunners in the world. Same thing happens when the Cowboys or the Lakers come to town.

In this case, they are. The Pirates have good fan support, now that they're relevant. But, when the Yankees come to town, attendance rises everywhere.

Doesn't matter. You're still punishing your fans because of who your team is playing.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Doesn't matter. You're still punishing your fans because of who your team is playing.
    Not disagreeing with you there, bro.

The eons are closing
    While I also dislike the tier practice, if yanks and marlins visiting had 'same' pricing, the resellers would make more $$ in yankee tix scalping that the club doesn't see in revenue.

Since demand is there, club tiers their tickets to capture most of those $$$. IIRC, the top tier Mets tix are opening day and Yankees. That's it for that tier.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I just heard a stat that, last year, 21% of all at bats in 2016 ended in a strikeout. One third ended in either a strikeout or a walk.

I just heard a stat that, last year, 21% of all at bats in 2016 ended in a strikeout. One third ended in either a strikeout or a walk.
    A lot that can be drawn from this.

A lot that can be drawn from this.
    You mean, besides the conspiracy, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    It's going to be a few years. Their better acquired talent is a few years away. And not every emerging prospect is going to be Gary Sanchez. Hell, even Gary Sanchez might not be Gary Sanchez.

I'm a big farm system guy myself, and it's going to be very trendy after the Cubs and Royals both won WS and the Astros and Pirates are competitive. But it's also fair to note that all these teams sucked royally (pun intended) for several seasons as they did a complete rebuild.
    I think they will reassess near the Trade deadline and will go all in if they believe they have a shot. I like the farm system way myself, but they can't help themselves sometimes. See Jacoby Ellsbury. Good player when healthy but he never has been in his career for long stretches of time. So they bite, thinking lets screw the Sox at the same time. Didn't realize that they already had a guy like him in Gardner, fast , good fielder, not much pop and a so so average. Couple of years later , neither runs much, no homers from two outfielders and Ellsbury has a monster contract that nobody wants.

I just hope they give the kids some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    I think they will reassess near the Trade deadline and will go all in if they believe they have a shot. I like the farm system way myself, but they can't help themselves sometimes. See Jacoby Ellsbury. Good player when healthy but he never has been in his career for long stretches of time. So they bite, thinking lets screw the Sox at the same time. Didn't realize that they already had a guy like him in Gardner, fast , good fielder, not much pop and a so so average. Couple of years later , neither runs much, no homers from two outfielders and Ellsbury has a monster contract that nobody wants.

I just hope they give the kids some time.
    Ellsbury was signed (foolishly, I might add) to quickly make up for the loss of Cano. That trade has been a total bust. And I'm not surprised one bit. Of course, where has Cano gotten the Mariners?

I watched yesterday's game against the Phils. The kids really looked good. Judge hit a monster shot off the scoreboard that was just a few feet from going over it.