Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barclay James Harvest

Barclay James Harvest

I don't own anything but they are band I've always been curious about, any fans and would this be a good place to start?

BJH - XII (2CD + DVD Deluxe Remastered & Expanded Edition)
    (Code: 18611)

BJH - XII (2CD + DVD Deluxe Remastered & Expanded Edition)Newly re-mastered and expanded edition of the classic gold selling 1978 album
    Format: CD / Cat No: ECLEC32563 / Released: 03/04/2017

Track Listing: CD 1 - 24-bit re-mastered original stereo mix (September 1978): 1. Fantasy: Loving Is Easy (4:00) / 2. Berlin (4:47) / 3. Classics: A Tale Of Two Sixties (3:34) / 4. Turning In Circles (3:30) / 5. Fact: The Closed Shop (3:46) / 6. In Search Of England (4:12) / 7. Sip Of Wine (4:22) / 8. Harbour (3:42) / 9. Science Fiction: Nova Lepidoptera (5:45) / 10. Giving It Up (4:35) / 11. Fiction: The Streets Of San Francisco (5:41) / Bonus Tracks: 12. Berlin (single version) / 13. Loving Is Easy (single version) / 14. Turning In Circles (first mix) / 15. Fact: The Closed Shop (first mix) / 16. Nova Lepidoptera (ambient instrumental mix) / CD 2 - 2016 stereo mix: 1. Fantasy: Loving Is Easy (4:00) / 2. Berlin (4:47) / 3. Classics: A Tale Of Two Sixties (3:34) / 4. Turning In Circles (3:30) / 5. Fact: The Closed Shop (3:46) / 6. In Search Of England (4:12) / 7. Sip Of Wine (4:22) / 8. Harbour (3:42) / 9. Science Fiction: Nova Lepidoptera (5:45) / 10. Giving It Up (4:35) / 11. Fiction: The Streets Of San Francisco (5:41) / DVD (region free/ntsc) -XII 2016 5.1 surround and 96 KHZ / 24-bit 2016 and 1978 stereo mixes: 1. Fantasy: Loving Is Easy (4:00) / 2. Berlin (4:47) / 3. Classics: A Tale Of Two Sixties (3:34) / 4. Turning In Circles (3:30) / 5. Fact: The Closed Shop (3:46) / 6. In Search Of England (4:12) / 7. Sip Of Wine (4:22) / 8. Harbour (3:42) / 9. Science Fiction: Nova Lepidoptera (5:45) / 10. Giving It Up (4:35) / 11. Fiction: The Streets Of San Francisco (5:41)

More information: Originally released in September 1978, the album was another big selling release for the band achieving Silver disc status in the UK and Gold in Germany. The album followed in the wake of “Gone to Earth” and saw BJH consolidate the success they had found in Germany and Europe.

The album struck a chord with the record buying public thanks to tracks such as ‘Berlin’, ‘In Search of England’, ‘Nova Lepidoptera’ and more, and its popularity continues to endure. It would be the last Barclay James Harvest album to feature Woolly Wolstenholme before his departure from the band in June 1979.

This deluxe edition includes two CDs and a DVD, and features a new re-master of the original album mix, along with stunning brand new stereo and 5.1 surround mix of the album. The DVD (which is region free and NTSC) also includes 96 kHz / 24-bit stereo re-mixes and a 96 kHz / 24-bit re-master of the original album mix. In addition the set features five bonus tracks, including the rare single versions of ‘Loving is Easy’ and ‘Berlin’.

This expanded deluxe edition also includes a lavishly illustrated booklet that fully restores the original album artwork, a new essay and also includes a reproduction poster.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    No, I'd say start with one of these:

Time Honoured Ghosts (75)
    Octoberon (76)
    Gone To Earth (77)

And read up on them and listen to camples online.

Yeah, Time Honored Ghosts is your best bet. Then the other 2 Jed mentioned, and see how far in you want to go. The first 2 (or 3?) are quite different to the prime (imo) period.

offhand, i can't think of another band i'd say this about, but i'd start with a live album: BJH Live (not Live Tapes, which is good, but not as good)

if you want to start a studio effort, then either time honoured ghosts or everyone is everybody else

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Yeah, Time Honored Ghosts is your best bet. Then the other 2 Jed mentioned, and see how far in you want to go. The first 2 (or 3?) are quite different to the prime (imo) period.
    Well, the eponymous debut certainly is. Like many debut albums, I don't think they've found their own sound by that point, and some of the songs are very over-arranged IMHO. But Once Again, their 2nd, is a huge leap in quality and remains one of their best albums. This was the one with their 'signature song' of the time, 'Mockingbird'.

The 3rd album ...And Other Short Stories has a couple of weaker songs but a good 75% is just as strong as Once Again. Unfortunately the 4th, Baby James Harvest, was a big dip in form- even its obvious highlight 'Summer Soldier' is far better on the 1974 Live album. I think Woolly Wolstenholme was busy arranging his track 'Moonwater' for much of the sessions so the album sounds pretty threadbare, but most of the songs (and there are only six) don't cut it for me.

Then they moved to Polydor, where they stayed for 20 odd years.

Everyone Is Everybody Else is where I started with them. I think it has their greatest plentitude of good songs, followed closely by Octoberon. Once Again is likewise a strong release. And a little boost for BJH...and Other Short Stories; perhaps a bit hit-and-miss compared to the above (“Blue John’s Blues” is yuck), but it opens with concert fave “Medicine Man,” and the one-two punch of “The Poet” and “After the Day” which closes out the album is my favorite 9½ minute chunk of music that this band ever produced. Simply stunning!

I can’t believe people are recommending Time Honoured Ghosts! Do they want you not to get into this band? Apart from “Beyond the Grave,” I think it’s crap!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Well, the eponymous debut certainly is. Like many debut albums, I don't think they've found their own sound by that point, and some of the songs are very over-arranged IMHO. But Once Again, their 2nd, is a huge leap in quality and remains one of their best albums. This was the one with their 'signature song' of the time, 'Mockingbird'.
    Agreed on all counts. But I think the remastered and expanded edition of that debut is worthwhile for their early single tracks, which I think tend to be superior to what wound up on that first LP.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I can’t believe people are recommending Time Honoured Ghosts! Do they want you not to get into this band? Apart from “Beyond the Grave,” I think it’s crap!
    Our taste rarely agrees, so why start here?

Love me the Time Honoured Ghosts. Every nanosecond of it!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Once Again. Their masterpiece i.m.o.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Although i agree with this i never understand the question 'where do i start'

Why not at the beginning and follow the band in question thoughout the creative journey that they took.

Just me maybe.............

Everyone Is Everybody Else is where I started with them. I think it has their greatest plentitude of good songs, followed closely by Octoberon.
    Everyone... is also the one I started with and the one I'm most familiar with. Saying it has the greatest "plentitude of good songs" is a good way to put it. Maybe not their best or their most prog-oriented, but I think their most likeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Toothyspook View Post
    Although i agree with this i never understand the question 'where do i start'

Why not at the beginning and follow the band in question thoughout the creative journey that they took.

Just me maybe.............
    Unfortunately lack of available £££'s prevents me from doing that!

Once Again is obviously the best starting point. Then I would recommend Everyone Is Everybody Else. To these ears those are their two most consistent albums and the only ones without a duff note.

Underrated band.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Once Again is obviously the best starting point. Then I would recommend Everyone Is Everybody Else. To these ears those are their two most consistent albums and the only ones without a duff note.

Underrated band.
    Agree on all points.

I've long been a fan but the influences they were on their sleeves can sometimes be borderline in terms of finding a good balance between individual identity and spins on sounds already crafted by others.

It's not just The Beatles and The Moody Blues, but as the years pass lots of CSN, Eagles, Poco ...

They make it work and are DAMN good, but IMO they really would have been well advised to hone in on their actual sound and be confident in it. As has been mentioned, the double live album from '74 is strong. It really is quite a sound they have there.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post

Underrated band.
    I would suggest the other way around - Everyone... followed by Once Again. After that I would say Live, Octoberon and Gone to Earth are the other albums that are strongest for me.

Time Honoured Ghosts I always wanted to like more than I actually do.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Everyone... is also the one I started with and the one I'm most familiar with. Saying it has the greatest "plentitude of good songs" is a good way to put it. Maybe not their best or their most prog-oriented, but I think their most likeable.
    It was the first without the orchestra, so obviously it’s going to come across as a bit stripped-down in comparison. Perhaps truer to their live sound, though, with just Wooly there to orchestrate with his keys. I think it was the very “analog” sound that drew me to it. Very song-oriented and not really very prog, but I like it from start to finish. Even the medley of folk-rock tunes on the B-side are really enjoyable. Sometimes melancholic to the point of morbidity, but that kind of comes with the territory with this band (this is the group that wrote “Happy Old World,” “After the Day” and “Suicide?” after all).

And allow me to say that I find Eyes of the Universe to be an underrated disc. Not a classic by any means, but better than I expected it to be, and I really like what Kevin McAlea brought to the table in the keyboard department (oh, that CS-80!).

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^I've never got into Eyes Of The Universe or the follow-up Turn Of The Tide.
    Among of my faves from BJH.

If your explorations of the 1970s albums like time honoured ghosts and everyone is everybody else are successful there are two places to go to next:

north by john lees barclay james harvest is a recent release and as well as a title track that is just superb includes a moving tribute to woolly wolstenholme called on leave

the compilation of woolly wolstenholme solo albums called uneasy listening and if you find that interesting then you will discover all his solo material which you will find very rewarding

Certainly, it's not a very progressive album.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Great record.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Certainly, it's not a very progressive album.
    Well, they weren’t a very progressive band. But between “Titles,” “Sweet Jesus” and “Jonathan,” it sure has what might be the biggest pile of cringeworthy songs in the BJH canon up until XII, anyway. Give me the folk-rock medley from EIEE over that, any day.

they had a rethink when they signed to polydor in 74 or maybe the record company had a rethink. the prog period of barclay james harvest such as it was came to an end with baby james harvest in 72. it seems woolly wolstenholme was the great champion of merging rock instruments with an orchestra on long songs which is the barclay james harvest contribution to prog. but they werent selling any records and were in debt. it is with time honoured ghosts that les holroyd comes forward as a songwriter writing almost half the album by himself. so with jonathan and then rock and roll star this is the new barclay james harvest the one trying to sell records. it culminates with their big success of gone to earth in which only the Woolly Wolstenholme song is like the old days and Les Holroyd even does country rock.

To be honest, the orchestral side of the band was just one facet of their personality. The folk-rock element was always there, and both John and Les would have had them go full-on into country-rock if they had their way.

Incidentally, the orchestra on those early albums was under the direction of Robert John Godfrey. When he severed ties with the band, he eventually formed the Enid.

To be honest, the orchestral side of the band was just one facet of their personality. The folk-rock element was always there, and both John and Les would have had them go full-on into country-rock if they had their way.

Incidentally, the orchestra on those early albums was under the direction of Robert John Godfrey. When he severed ties with the band, he eventually formed the Enid.
    yes it can be overlooked that les holroyd and john lees had much common ground. it wasnt one on this side and one on the other. might have been later but not at this point. they were both big listeners to the eagles and saw the way to success as writing tuneful rock. john lees kept a foot in the woolly wolstenholme camp on octoberon eg mayday but by gone to earth the holroyd and lees song fit was seamless.

Over the years, both John & Les evolved, changed, grew - however one might put it. By the end of their collaborative days, after River Of Dreams, there was just too much between them to continue that partnership. People change. I'm certainly not one to judge! BJH continue to enchant my ears.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!