Thread: Dave Sturt (current Gong bass player) - Dreams & Absurdities

Dave Sturt (current Gong bass player) - Dreams & Absurdities

Just a quick recommendation for anyone interested ... I finally bought Dave Sturt's solo album last week, as a long term Gong fan & having watched various Gong-related interviews with Dave / Kavus etc online.

I appreciate that I'm a bit late to the game on this one, as it was released over a year ago, but IMHO it is a really beautiful album - brilliant quality audio / very peaceful / relaxing with a lot of Percy Jones style fretless, and quite Eno "music for airports" in parts. There's also some Mick Karn-esque funkiness in there as well.

Out of context of the whole album (it really works as a solid hour of music that flows well) the YouTube clips don't really do it justice. This isn't meant to be an advert / commercial endorsement (I don't actually know the guy!) but I'm seriously impressed ...

https://youtu.be/v9yKnzuuslc
    https://youtu.be/AOH6-BJ-oRw

Might have to give this one a listen. Dave Sturt is/was the long-time bassist for Jade Warrior.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

As well as long-time association with Bill Nelson

I have a cd from him under the name of Cipher that is similar to your description. I think he has a collaborator on that one, but I forget who. I'll have to dust it off. I have not listened to it in quite a while.

EDIT: Theo Travis of course... D'oh!

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Might have to give this one a listen. Dave Sturt is/was the long-time bassist for Jade Warrior.
    That is how I know him. His tone and playing on Distant Echoes is really awesome.

I think I sampled this solo album when it came out a while back, and sadly I don't recall being too impressed. But I'll give the links above a fresh listen.

Bill