Thread: FEATURED CD: Lift - Caverns Of Your Brain

FEATURED CD: Lift - Caverns Of Your Brain

Here's a little 70s "Ameriprog" that was one of those staples of many prog collections in the 90s back in the days when Syn-phonic was reissuing the obscurities.

Review from ProgArchives:
    From the USA came Lift, an enthusiastic and talented progressive ensemble that released their debut album "Caverns of Your Brain" during the second half of the 70s, although their repertoire at the time was older ,as well as more abundant than the one finally container in the original release. What we have here is a combination of vibrating melodic symphonic prog (pre-Howe Yes, Flash), the energy of "Remember the Future"- era Nektar and the eerie ambiances of Floydian inspiration, generally for the softer parts of the material. Hilton-Green's vocal timber helps the band to keep their Yessian tendencies well alive.

The musical ideas are more focused on dynamics than on solidity, which makes them stand closer to their compatriots Quill and The Load and less closer to Kansas and Babylon (just to name other compatriots): the musicians of Lift are more into deepening the potentials of their musical ideas and transform them into robust jamming in an ordered fashion, yet revealing wide space for freedom in the culmination of their sonic expression. Given the special role assumed by orchestrations, leads and ornaments on his instrumental array, keyboardsman Chip Gremillion manages to become the band's musical leader, although this factor shouldn't stop the listener from noticing the fluidity of the rhythm section's input. The bass player takes his Squire influences into a solid territory of his own, while the drummer provides a very interesting swing to his performances. This recording kicks off with 'Simplicity', a pretty joyful number that expands itself in combining tempos of 4/4 and 7/8 in order to exploit the catchiness of the main motif. It is a simplistic yet effective motif, indeed. 'Cavers' portrays a more solemn mood built on a slow rhythm pace.

There is plenty of room for the elaboration of mesmeric synthesizer and mellotron layers, which set a majestic pace for the appearance of ethereal guitar leads (perhaps a steel guitar?). Very Floydian in essence, although it patently bears a sense of pomposity that leans them closer to the Yes Thing. 'Buttercup Boogie' is a boogie rock built on a bluesy organ motif that is displayed in a very frantic tempo. This is the catchiest tune in the album, but not without its old fashioned progressive complexity - that is, here you will find well crafted guitar and keyboard solos, as well as the crucial momentary bass guitar adornments, while the drummer keeps himself busy and concentrated on maintaining a perfect precision while things keep going on. The last 11 minutes are occupied by the album's highlight, the epic 'Trippin' over the Rainbow', which comprises the most complex articulation of various musical motifs. The alternation between the most serene and the rockiest passages is very well balanced, and again, Gremillion's predominant role on keyboards (especially mellotron and synthesizers) proves essential for the preservation and consistent enhancement of the song's orchestral feel all the way through.

While not being a groundbreaking album per se, this Lift effort is a real progressive lost gem that is awaiting a proper recognition from prog collectors. "Caverns of Your Brain" should be a valuable item for genuine symphonic prog lovers. - Cesar Inca

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I believe I paid a mere 10$ for my early 90s reissue - the one with the all-white label. But then again I paid similar for the very rare late 80s reissue of the Polyphony album.

Good stough; sometimes great! And the track they had included on the Past Present Future compilation as well.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I recently bought this on CD (this was actually Syn-Phonic first CD) after I got The Samurai Of Prog-album "Lost And Found" which features the unreleased Lift-track "Inception" written (and partly performed) by Chip Gremillion.
    Through the years I heard a couple of songs from Caverns and having this now I can say I like it.
    Interview with Chip: https://soundcloud.com/chip-gremilli...adio-interview

This one is tied with Mirthrandir as my favorite AmeriProg album. I just love the exuberance and energy these guys have. Simplicity just rolls over you like a freight train, as does the middle to latter parts of Tripping Over the Rainbow. Haven't played this in a long time, but I can practically sing the whole album to myself I've played it so much. For me, that's a measure of how great the album is, that it's indelibly wormed it's way into my brain like the stuff from the big name 70s bands that hooked me to this kind of music in the first place.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I believe I paid a mere 10$ for my early 90s reissue - the one with the all-white label. But then again I paid similar for the very rare late 80s reissue of the Polyphony album.
    That's me too. Austrian pressings if I remember well.

The Lift album is for me one of the better tax scam releases I've listened to. Another one being Zoldar & Clark.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I wrote a review of this album a long time ago on a now long defunct prog website(back in my review writing days). I was actually in contact with one of the band members at one point and he sent me a copy of the re-released version with extra tracks on it. The name of that particular "updated" version escapes me at the moment however. Anyway, I did have the original a long time ago but unfortunately no longer have it. It's a really great album though and quite possibly one of the most under-rated US prog albums from the 70's. I particularly like "tripping over the rainbow" which is sort of like a US version of Supper's Ready imo.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 02-12-2017 at 12:28 PM.

I like it, it's not in my top echelon of American Prog-Rock releases, but it's certainly above the median. I have the original vinyl, as well as Greg's first CD issue and the CD mentioned by Mike: https://www.discogs.com/Lift-The-Mom...elease/6179639

^ Yes, The Moment of Hearing is the one I was thinking of. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I like it, it's not in my top echelon of American Prog-Rock releases, but it's certainly above the median. I have the original vinyl, as well as Greg's first CD issue and the CD mentioned by Mike: https://www.discogs.com/Lift-The-Mom...elease/6179639
    Pretty much where I stand. It's not up there with Cathedral, Yezda Urfa, Babylon and Polyphony in my opinion but I love the mellotron, the vocals not so much.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I used to go over to Greg's house with my portable CD player and listen, before I bought, and this Lift Cd was one on the ones I bought from him... I need to pull it out for a spin... but I recall it being very good...

I’m a huge fan of this one. Perhaps not a truly classic release, but ear candy from start to finish. They have a youthful exuberance that is totally infectious. There’s a certain joy about the performance on this album that communicates itself to the listener big time. Still have a place in my heart for this one. I probably ought to upgrade to The Moment of Hearing one of these days, as I’m curious about those later recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    The Lift album is for me one of the better tax scam releases I've listened to. Another one being Zoldar & Clark.
    Agreed on both counts. I prefer the “tax scam” cover with the eye (seen in the above videos) to the “official” Syn-Phonic one, too.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

New Orleans, Louisiana's first prog band. I think it's another great album from the disparate USA progressive rock landscape, where there was no continuity whatsoever, and yet so many fascinating albums came from here. I'm fortunate to own the original LP as well as the first CD Greg put out years ago. There was a time 25 years ago when you might stumble on this LP in a well stocked used record store.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I probably ought to upgrade to The Moment of Hearing one of these days, as I’m curious about those later recordings.
    Hate to say it, but totally not worth it, imo. I tried Moment of Hearing, and the other tracks sound more like a watered down Renaissance than Lift to me. None of the elements that made Lift such a winner for me were present. I ditched and kept the SynPhonic disc I had. Obviously, YMMV, but don't expect similar material to Caverns of Your Brain.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    New Orleans, Louisiana's first prog band. I think it's another great album from the disparate USA progressive rock landscape, where there was no continuity whatsoever, and yet so many fascinating albums came from here. I'm fortunate to own the original LP as well as the first CD Greg put out years ago. There was a time 25 years ago when you might stumble on this LP in a well stocked used record store.
    I know what you mean. I think because there was no internet back then most of these Ameriprog bands had no idea each other existed. I think it was just a bunch of different bands influenced by Yes, Genesis, ELP, KC etc who because they didn't know about let a lone listen to each other didn't really sound that much like one another although of course in each band you can hear the influences from their English heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I know what you mean. I think because there was no internet back then most of these Ameriprog bands had no idea each other existed. I think it was just a bunch of different bands influenced by Yes, Genesis, ELP, KC etc who because they didn't know about let a lone listen to each other didn't really sound that much like one another although of course in each band you can hear the influences from their English heroes.
    Well stated, Mike.

Great record. Love that obscure 70's US Prog: Lift, The Load, Cathedral, Mirthrandir, Polyphony, Ethos, Babylon, Yezda Urfa, Quill, Easter Island, Pentwater, Hands. Would love to get the original vinyl...
    The Prog Corner

I remember listening to this album when I borrowed it fropm my library system sone 20 years ago, but I remember absolutely zero/zilch from the music itself.

I'm not sure this means something, though.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I remember listening to this album when I borrowed it fropm my library system sone 20 years ago, but I remember absolutely zero/zilch from the music itself.

I'm not sure this means something, though.
    It means you have access to a better stocked library than most people.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Ain't that the truth!

A library in my general area(where I used to go)had a copy of a cd by the prog band North Star(some of you might remember they played at one of the early Nearfests).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    a lot of these rare US prog are u-in their catalogue (Mirthrandir, Pentwater, Cathedral, etc... and lift)

And they've of most of the Cuneiform albums as well... up to a certain date, anyways... I'll check out if they got the latest ones, though.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I prefer the “tax scam” cover with the eye (seen in the above videos) to the “official” Syn-Phonic one, too.
    Me as well...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I have to say what a drummer! Simplicity is a masterpiece of the genre, from start to finish, but especially the chorus with the mellotron fillings (and yes, in Tripping over the Rainbow I was almost expecting someone to sing "with the guards of Magog" etc)